R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 The Official Mellow Yellow Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by russr
I know most of you here got the mellow yellow. I'm considering getting an MCS and I really like the MW color. How is it day to day? Am I gonna get laughed at?
Good questions. I asked myself the same ones. I'm actually surprised at how positive the response has been since I picked my car up in April. No one has said anything negative about it or asked why I didn't choose a better color.

If there wasn't a choice on a second color, I would not have picked an all-yellow car. But I love the contrast with the yellow and black. Several people have told me it looks like a yellow jacket. I think it looks better in person than what I had seen in photos before I ordered mine.

I think you'll be happy with either choice. Lightning blue would have been my second choice.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:33 PM
dva1946
1st Gear
In person better than you can imagine. Owned "Cooper" 4 months now, and never get tired of the color. In fact, some guy took a photo of it today in traffic.

Dave

I know most of you here got the mellow yellow. I'm considering getting an MCS and I really like the MW color. How is it day to day? Am I gonna get laughed at? Does the color look good in person? i was thinking black roof and stripes

The other color I'm considering is Laser Blue.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:07 PM
russr
5th Gear
Well i don't want a conservative color because the mini is stylish and I wan it to stand out. My choices are MW, Laser Blue and Chili Red. Pepper white is nice too, but gives a little different look. I wasn't sure if a week after getting the car I'd wake up and regret getting a color as aggresive as MW.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:08 PM
jeffm5150
4th Gear
Does the color look good in person? i was thinking black roof and stripes
I've had my MY/BK for a couple of weeks and love the color. The closest thing to the color is the fake nacho cheese you get at a convenience store or sporting event. I ended up naming my MCS 'Nacho' for that very reason. I will probably regret the black roof in the hot Arizona summers, but I'll deal with it.

Cheers,
-j

Old 11-13-2007, 07:21 PM
OrionLTD
3rd Gear
I have enjoyed my Mellow Yellow / Black combo now for over a week! I have had great comments when I've stopped for gas. The car gets noticed. Oh and she's fun to drive!

Old 11-13-2007, 07:45 PM
The Meal
4th Gear
Well i don't want a conservative color because the mini is stylish and I wan it to stand out. My choices are MW, Laser Blue and Chili Red. Pepper white is nice too, but gives a little different look. I wasn't sure if a week after getting the car I'd wake up and regret getting a color as aggresive as MW.
That was the same line of thought that got me to select Mellow Yellow for my car. The wife liked the lightning blue and british racing green, and while I agree those are sharp looking cars, they (along with the various shades of sliver) seem too conservative for such a distinicive "look-at-me" style of car.

Other than some folks who've done a ton of modifications to the car, I haven't seen a MINI that I didn't like. (But MY/B's look best! )

~Neal

Old 11-14-2007, 10:52 AM
elliott
2nd Gear
Hey all... my wife and I ordered a MY/White Top and Stripes MCS in October, and it should be here in the next week or two.

She REALLY wanted liquid yellow, but as you all know, it is no longer offered. Of course, with the high resale and low volume we have had a tough time finding one used for her. We went with new and MY.

Her favourite colour is yellow, and she loved the LY. She doesn't like "schoolbus" yellow, so we are hoping that isn't what it gets to. We have seen one at the dealer, and of course, some photos on the web that never do the real thing justice. Also, occassionally one nearby. But the "live" ones were with a black top. We are hoping (me for her and my sanity) that the white additions tone it down.

So, as soon as we have it, we will take and show pictures! Thanks.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:22 PM
dva1946
1st Gear
She will not be disappointed in MY. My MY MCS has black racing stripes & black roof. I have yet to see another one in Denver area. However, this morning I did have another Cooper pull along side me for awhile & it was yellow w/white roof - was pretty neat as we drove down Wadsworth side-by-side !!

In closing - Have had my MY MCS 4 months now, and still think it's a great color combo.

Originally Posted by elliott
Hey all... my wife and I ordered a MY/White Top and Stripes MCS in October, and it should be here in the next week or two.

She REALLY wanted liquid yellow, but as you all know, it is no longer offered. Of course, with the high resale and low volume we have had a tough time finding one used for her. We went with new and MY.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:54 PM
russr
5th Gear
I forgot about the fact that it kinda looks like a schoolbus. Man...I really like yellow and black, but now I might have to go with laser blue, but then again wife says laserblue white looks like smurf.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:21 PM
dva1946
1st Gear
MY color looks much more like a YELLOW CAB (have pulled up along side and compared). However, remember 2 things: 1) School Bus often has a white roof, and 2) Cabs are all yellow. So Mini's are unique, unless you opt for no tripes and a solid color (in which case you might consider a FORD ).

I forgot about the fact that it kinda looks like a schoolbus. Man...I really like yellow and black, but now I might have to go with laser blue, but then again wife says laserblue white looks like smurf.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:21 PM
bmbleB07
2nd Gear
i had to.

after seeing the movie transformers(IMO - kinda blew) I fell in love with the name bumble bee. thus my name for her...bumbleB.

my car found out was a press car. one of the first production weeks. like one or two. but knock on wood, have had no problems with so far...

Old 11-14-2007, 05:08 PM
nrc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dva1946
MY color looks much more like a YELLOW CAB (have pulled up along side and compared). However, remember 2 things: 1) School Bus often has a white roof, and 2) Cabs are all yellow. So Mini's are unique, unless you opt for no tripes and a solid color (in which case you might consider a FORD ).
MY/MY with no stripes on order.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:17 PM
scribbledpaper
the land of far, far away
She will not be disappointed in MY. My MY MCS has black racing stripes & black roof. I have yet to see another one in Denver area. However, this morning I did have another Cooper pull along side me for awhile & it was yellow w/white roof - was pretty neat as we drove down Wadsworth side-by-side !!

In closing - Have had my MY MCS 4 months now, and still think it's a great color combo.
If you are ever down in the Parker area then you'll see me and Bean!! We're not up north very often, but we can be seen down south!

It would be fun to drive along side your MY!!

Old 11-14-2007, 05:44 PM
dva1946
1st Gear
Wow, your Cooper is loaded. I didn't go that far, but do have the "S" + Sport Edition.

Photo is Cooper & Daisy (she has since passed away from Cancer 9/19).

I have not been to Parker in ages. We used to bicycle from Lakewood to Parker. Maybe I could drive down on a SA/SU (ThksG wkend?), and we can tool around SE of Parker on the open roads. Drop me a private message here.

Dave

Originally Posted by scribbledpaper
If you are ever down in the Parker area then you'll see me and Bean!! We're not up north very often, but we can be seen down south!

It would be fun to drive along side your MY!!

Attached Thumbnails The Official Mellow Yellow Owners Club-dscf2374.jpg  
Old 11-16-2007, 07:23 AM
kevinminict
4th Gear
Wow, your Cooper is loaded. I didn't go that far, but do have the "S" + Sport Edition.

Photo is Cooper & Daisy (she has since passed away from Cancer 9/19).

Dave

I'm sorry to hear that. I have a Golden also his names Cooper

Attached Thumbnails The Official Mellow Yellow Owners Club-img_0680.jpg  

Last edited by kevinminict; 12-28-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:40 AM
dva1946
1st Gear
3x Cooper

Cooper the Golden looks great !! If your Cooper needs to get-away, he'd be welcome at our place any wkend. Just don't live on Cooper Ln.

Originally Posted by kevinminict
I'm sorry to hear that. I have a Golden also his names Cooper......Heres a photo. Funny...I have a dog named Cooper....Then I recently moved, street name Cooper La, then I got a Mini Cooper

Old 11-16-2007, 07:42 AM
IsAMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bmbleB07
after seeing the movie transformers(IMO - kinda blew) I fell in love with the name bumble bee. thus my name for her...bumbleB.

my car found out was a press car. one of the first production weeks. like one or two. but knock on wood, have had no problems with so far...
Our MY/BL has a Bee theme too including a bee Whalen ****, decals in back windows and antenna ball but her name is Saffron.

Attached Thumbnails The Official Mellow Yellow Owners Club-dscf0908.jpg  
Old 11-16-2007, 07:54 AM
spetak
2nd Gear
We had a lightning blue/white MCS and now have a laser blue/white but my very close runner up choice was the Mellow Yellow/Black. I actually placed my order as a MY/B initially before I had second thoughts. I still think it looks awesome, but my mind always went to an image of a taxi cab... I love the laser blue, but MY/B is great. Would have no regrets either way.

Steve

2007 week 42 MCSa: LB/W alarm/nav/conv/prem/audio/sport/cold/punch carbon leather

Last edited by spetak; 11-16-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:07 AM
dva1946
1st Gear
DM Cooper

I never got into the name thing, but started referring to the MY/MCS as "Cooper" and now is "DM Cooper". DM is for our late Golden Retriever- Daisy Mae.

Attached Thumbnails The Official Mellow Yellow Owners Club-baby_cooper016.jpg  
Old 11-16-2007, 08:12 AM
gos1
1st Gear
MY cooper with with white top looks great

Originally Posted by elliott

Her favourite colour is yellow, and she loved the LY. She doesn't like "schoolbus" yellow, so we are hoping that isn't what it gets to. We have seen one at the dealer, and of course, some photos on the web that never do the real thing justice. Also, occassionally one nearby. But the "live" ones were with a black top. We are hoping (me for her and my sanity) that the white additions tone it down.

So, as soon as we have it, we will take and show pictures! Thanks.
I have had my MY cooper since August and love it. I too was worried i would not like the long-term ownership of a yellow car; however, I been surprised on how I have become more and more fond of the color. It is really fun. Fun to drive and fun to look at. There are lots of great comments i get about the car. MY also really pops with the chrome.

For a bunch of shots of a Mellow yellow with a white top, check out my gallery.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:51 AM
DJKazzer
1st Gear
Who could get sick a Mellow Yellow?

When I bought my Xterra in 1999 people constantly asked how long it would take for me to get tired of the yellow. Here it is, almost eight years later and I still love the yellow of my truck.

I love it so much, in fact, that when it came time to add a Mini to the family, the choice was clear: Mellow Yellow all the way!

Old 11-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DJKazzer
When I bought my Xterra in 1999 people constantly asked how long it would take for me to get tired of the yellow. Here it is, almost eight years later and I still love the yellow of my truck.
No offense, but I don't care for the Xterra yellow or what Ford offers on some of its cars. It's just too bright for my taste. Your Mini looks fabulous, however.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:17 AM
ubdylan
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DJKazzer
...still love the yellow of my truck.

I love it so much, in fact, that when it came time to add a Mini to the family, the choice was clear: Mellow Yellow all the way!

I dig em both!

And to the poster up a ways, a MY/MCS is definitely not a "schoolbus" in any way shape or form!

Old 11-18-2007, 02:15 PM
DJKazzer
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Sowellman
No offense, but I don't care for the Xterra yellow or what Ford offers on some of its cars. It's just too bright for my taste.
None taken, different strokes for different folks. Personally I like my yellow to be as bright as possible so that I have to wear shades when getting into my car. I could not have been more excited when MY was released to replace the LY, which is just too much of a faded yellow for my tastes.

Thanks for the compliments on the Mini, I've posted it in this thread before and more picks in my gallery. We just added new center caps to the wheels which are black and sport the Mini wings logo in MY. Aesthetic Creations matched the color perfectly, I'll post some pics.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Rubbus
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DJKazzer- funny that you have a yellow X- I have a yellow 2000 X and was also always less than fond of the pale yellow that the Mini came in. (Didn't know it was "Liquid Yellow")

Anyway- I'd been leaning toward blue Mini's, then went to the dealer the other night and saw a Mini ('08) in MY for the first time- and fell instantly in love! It just looks so fantastic in MY and I love the white top and strips, so that's what I'm going to go for.

They were closed when I went, so I'm heading back tomorrow to have a closer look.

Always get great comments on the yellow X too- mine has a black "Tonka" label on the blister that people always seem to love. I'm keeping the yellow X untill the body falls apart. (Still looks like new)

-Rob

Quick Reply: R56 The Official Mellow Yellow Owners Club