R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 How Fast do YOU Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 01:24 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I rarely exceed 9 over the speed limit on freeways and state highways because that's the upper limit of radar error margins. Around town on streets never more than 5 over.

However, whenever I go to Wyoming that limitation goes away, because most WY state highways are empty and built for some serious speed (wide, flat, smoooooth). Just watch for antelopers...

Last edited by sequence; 06-28-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:31 PM
minifiddler
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dneal
Idiots that like to weave through traffic cause accident, and are just as responsible for them as the idiots who drive slow in the passing lane(s).

What does make the difference is the drivers. German drivers pay around 1000 euro to get the training required to obtain a liscence. They also follow the rules. Stay in the right lane except when passing. Move over for faster traffic. Signal. We simply don't do most of these things in the States.

AMEN!
drivers ed in America is rediculous!
here in MD and VA they do constant construction on the beltway and other roads and as soon as its done everyone wonders why they are stuck in traffic! its because your drivers ed "teacher" never told you to move the hell over for faster traffic!
the right lane is for driving !
the left lane is for Passing!
excuse me- i have a pet peave-

on that note- im the slow driver in the right lane - getting about 34-40 mpg 25%highway driving and 75% suburb driving
i go about 65- 70 here in the dc area on highways- but im also the only one who stays over 55 going over the wilson bridge-
does anyone else think drivers are affraid of bridges?
even if there are no lane slimmings and even with no trafficc- the average speed drops at least 10 -20 mph
another peave!

happy / safe motoring yall

Old 06-28-2007, 01:32 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by minifiddler
!
here in MD
the right lane is for driving !
the left lane is for Passing!
OLD ... In MD its fine to pass on the left on the highway (pretty sure)

Old 06-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Around here folks slow down for hills, curves, lane changes, rubber necking, and just about anything that falls from the sky.

Basically, it if aint flat, straight, and unencumbered, they slow down.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:31 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
With it being so difficult to drive fast here (lots of law enforcement and it isn't my thing, really) I've had to back up a bit to re-think how to live with my MINI enthusiasm. I do have a sweet morning/evening commute that I enjoy...some parts are twisty, but mostly it's a pretty deserted drive in the countryside. I guess for me I had to just learn to appreciate simply driving a modern MINI...not a race car. If I was motoring in a 998cc classic it'd be the same...I enjoy the nimble handling, I enjoy the styling quirks, I enjoy the efficient packaging, I enjoy doing more with less in general. For me that works and I just leave speed out of the equation...and save that for the on-ramps.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel the same way gokartride. I wish I had a nice commute to/from work, but I dunt(tm). 2 rights, 1 left, 2 rights and I am at work. And everything between the turns is straight.

But, whenI have time, I intentionally take the long way to work. It has a hill and a highway involved. WOOT!

Old 06-28-2007, 03:21 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
I enjoy the nimble handling, I enjoy the styling quirks, I enjoy the efficient packaging, I enjoy doing more with less in general. For me that works and I just leave speed out of the equation...and save that for the on-ramps.
So, on the "twisties" you do the speed limit?

On ramps? last time I checked they also had speed limits

Old 06-28-2007, 03:27 PM
mozzarella
Banned
real real fast

Old 06-28-2007, 03:32 PM
naruto16
2nd Gear
I drive about 120-140 on the highway all the time~
but only in km/h :P on the Canadian Highway.
Usually the cops don't get on you until you go 30km/h over on the highway... everyone drives at least 20 over... lol

Old 06-28-2007, 03:34 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
I feel the same way gokartride. I wish I had a nice commute to/from work, but I dunt(tm). 2 rights, 1 left, 2 rights and I am at work. And everything between the turns is straight.
You should consider yourself lucky. Long rush hour commutes are terrible

Old 06-28-2007, 05:20 PM
lucyl
2nd Gear
I been finding out that I drive a lot more aggressively with my MCS. I commute an hour each way to work... first half is all city that i usually go about 20mph more than the speed limit. The rest of my way is stop and go on the freeway. I agree.. on ramps are fun!

I have yet to use the sport button once.. Haven't found the need for it.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:50 PM
valthun
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Naw the on and off ramps don't have speed limits. The signs are yellow and are guidlines. Most vehicles should adhere to those guidlines but many are designed for a higher speed. I love racing down on ramps to get into the flow of traffic. Can't wait to try it out with my Mini on Saturday afternoon when I take delivery.

I live in LA and have spent many years in SD I would say it's not the speed in LA that is crazy, it's the slow drivers in the left lanes that cause impatient drivers to swerve. Shoot I have watched drivers in city traffic swerve all over the place because they are too impatient. What is fun, is passing those idiots multiple times by keeping a consistent speed and not weaving through traffic.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:24 PM
DanF
5th Gear
In NH alot of the ramps have speed limits. I got pulled over once on an onramp when I had my Audi but I got pulled over alot in that car because it was orange. Around here though on the highway it seems most go at least 10 over the speed limit. I've noticed in the cooper at around 72mph the instant mpg is around 41 mpg and around 68mph the instant mpg is around 44.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:34 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
So, on the "twisties" you do the speed limit?
On ramps? last time I checked they also had speed limits
No speed limits posted on on-ramps around here unless it is a long loop. Twisties? Yeah if there's a speed limit I observe it...I don't mess w/ speeding.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:01 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Babul03
...there's a difference between driving fast and driving recklessly.
Originally Posted by dneal
Idiots that like to weave through traffic cause accidents.
Originally Posted by 70spop
It's not the speed that causes the problem, it's the speed differential.
Originally Posted by minifiddler
drivers ed in America is rediculous! Your drivers ed "teacher" never told you to move the hell over for faster traffic!
The right lane is for driving !
The left lane is for Passing!
+1

Old 06-28-2007, 08:05 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
+1
Off topic question. How do you quote multiple posts in one response?

Old 06-28-2007, 08:12 PM
DancesWithTraffic
1st Gear
Ilove that the Buzzby can handle more ramp speed than most other cars. Taht said, I have more congestion than I like for kicking her up a notch. I'm at ~36mpg after 1800 miles on it, and my highway time gets me around 80-ish. That actually tends to be 'flowspeed'.
I also find I dont like to be the fastest one out there with the Buzz. I find the flow.
Its the back twisties that are the funnnest motoring roads.

I especially love DanFs.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:26 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
I dont really exceed the speed limit by much very often. 5-10 mph with a mix of little burst to pass or "safe up" a lane change. So far we have stayed in the 34 mpg range (hand calc'd).
What got my attention was how much speed I carry thru the curves. We were driving in the Texas hill country this weekend. I had a truck tight on my tail looking to pass. We started hitting clusters of curves, 3 to 5 in a set with short straights between sets. I never sped up, but I didn't have to slow down, either. The guy in the truck would catch me after the straights and then fade away thru the curves. It never felt like I was pushing it, just kept running along smooth. After a few more sets he was too far back to tailgate. Made me feel good.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:38 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 4xAAA
I never sped up, but I didn't have to slow down, either.
That's very Mini!!!

Old 06-28-2007, 11:06 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 70spop
Off topic question. How do you quote multiple posts in one response?
Three buttons on the lower right of every post.

One says "Quote", one is a set of ""+ marks (multi-quote) and one shows a quill and piece of paper (quick reply).

As you read a post you like, select the ""+ button for those different posts you want to use. On the last one, select "Quote" and you should have all the different posts ready to go in your responce box (where you type your reply).

Old 06-29-2007, 07:36 AM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
As you read a post you like, select the ""+ button for those different posts you want to use. On the last one, select "Quote" and you should have all the different posts ready to go in your responce box (where you type your reply).

Thanks!

Old 06-29-2007, 12:41 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by valthun
Naw the on and off ramps don't have speed limits.
While the yellow signs are caution signs, they do have speed limits. For example, every state has a maximum allowed speed. Exceed it, no matter where, and your probably illegal. Further, the police can always say you were going faster than the conditions warranted (like in the rain or whatever). Each state may be different but its sometimes thrown in as a general law.

Originally Posted by gokartride
No speed limits posted on on-ramps around here unless it is a long loop. Twisties? Yeah if there's a speed limit I observe it...I don't mess w/ speeding.
Huh? You got roads with NO speed limits posted?

Hehe. Dont Mess with TEXAS!

Old 06-29-2007, 12:48 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
I have seen two lane roads in Texas that are posted 75 mph. Highway 90 out of Del Rio comes to mind. If a Trooper pulls you over out there he is gonna be grumpy. Aint a doughnut shop in 100 miles!

Old 06-29-2007, 01:59 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 4xAAA
I have seen two lane roads in Texas that are posted 75 mph.
I love the signs in TX ... like the Dont Mess with Texas signs.

And I saw one that said ... DWI ... you can't afford it

Very cool.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:10 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Dont Mess with TEXAS!
You wouldn't believe it...some of my favorite haunts around here are extremely well patrolled by local law enforcement and they will stop you...in the end I just don't want to mess w/ it. Driving a nice little Cooper, I'm get my kicks out of driving-accuracy and setting a tone of civility on the roads. BTW, I heard of cops in one local community watching out especially for MINIs.

Quick Reply: R56 How Fast do YOU Drive?