R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 How Fast do YOU Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 02:20 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gokartride
... in the end I just don't want to mess w/ it. .
Gokart ... I respect that.

NAM limits the discussions for very good reasons. Despite some peoples "need for speed", the fact is excessive speeding simply is not safe on public highways and I just dont understand in this day and age why they just dont take it the track. But I guess, some ppl never learn, even when the see pictures of gruesome deaths.

I will relate one experience. I wanted to try to get the best mileage I could out of my V6 RAV4 and for one tank tried my best to do limited starts and drive just the speed limit here. It was VERY stressful. Not only did virtually everyone pass me ... some very perturbed ... but I ended up getting exact ONE mpg better The experience was so stressful, its actually healthier to just stay in the flow of traffic

Old 06-29-2007, 02:33 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chows4us
The experience was so stressful, its actually healthier to just stay in the flow of traffic
Gas mileage vs. life mileage.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:40 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
Here in Wisconsin, the state patrol is running TV ads warning against speeding. The graphic they use? A 1st generation MINI speedometer. The needle revs up to ~110 mph and then fluctuates a lot between 90 mph and 110 mph.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Aonach
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 70spop
Exactly. It's not the speed that causes the problem, it's the speed differential (which is why it's so dangerous when people sit in the left lane going 60mph).

Going fast safely entails being smart enough to know when it's safe to do so, and also not throwing all of your other safe driving habits out the window just because you're going fast. Sometimes it's just foolish to insist that you can go 80 (or even 60) just because you're on a freeway.
Yep. I agree here 100%
I would rather someone pass me going a little fast (not reckless) than ANYONE being even more stupid and TALKING ON THEIR CELL PHONE! After noticing how bad others (& me) drove while talking on them I have a hard & fast rule forbidding myself from ever doing it again. It's as dangerous as anything. There should be a law.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:20 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
I don't think speed kills. I think whatever causes the accident kills if you're going too fast while you are distracted, asleep, intoxicated or just not in tune with the conditions around you. If you hit a deer because you're oblivious to where you are and the feeding habits of the wildlife, you die if you're doing 80 and you survive if you're doing 60 and you avoid the deer if you're doing 50. Still, speed isn't the issue; it is knowing that there are likely to be deer on the road.

I did a high speed trip accross Nevada where on the Extraterestrial Highway, after dark, I did cruise at 50. It was open range and cattle were on the highway from time to time and there were bushes the size of cattle and I just couldn't know if there was a herd or a grove until I was close. I didn't begrudge it. After all, my reward was arrival in Tonopah and a night on the town!

Old 06-29-2007, 11:28 PM
Firebolt
2nd Gear
back at the topic at hand...after studing the "current mpg read" while driving for the past few weeks, i've come to the conclusion that it is not "how fast" you drive, but how quickly you accelerate. Naturally, the quicker you accelerate and the higher you rev, the more gas you will burn.
The best way to be economical is to try not to rev past 3rpm while accelerating in any given gear and once you achieved your cruising speed, use the highest gear possible for that speed.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:00 AM
R56-S
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by msh441
I'm getting right around 30MPG on average. seems to fluctuate +/- .4 MPG depending on the day.

That said, the MINI, particularly the R56S, seems to be a car that begs to be flogged. It handles incredibly well, feels so stable and composed at speed and generally "feels" much slower than the speed you're actually travelling... it'll suck you in. Be careful.
I can agree totally with that statement. That said I've been getting 30-32 mpg. A fantastic car (MCS)

Carl