R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 4 Girls (15 yrs old) Want to Drive my new Mini !

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 01:38 AM
Mgibrace
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My disclamer on the "bundles of estrogen" is that it came from one of my daughters. Plus, imho any teenager, male or female, is pretty much a bundle of whichever hormones they were born with.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:11 PM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mgibrace
I've taught my 17 yr old daughter to drive a stick in my 930. I'll let her drive my MCS when it gets here. I'll probably teach my 16 yr old daughter in the MCS. Both learned on BMW automatics with the radio fuse removed after we tearned them loose. Fuse stayed out for the first 6 mo. My wife has run my racecar on track days. They're just cars. Why not start in something fun?

Grade them when on the kart track and let them know ahead of time you're doing it. Decide from there. I'm kind of assuming you're taking those bundles of estrogen with you, right?

YMMV
Good idea on the radio fuse thing. I wouldnt have even thought of that, but it realy makes sense. (For my bundle of testosterone that is)!!!

My sons drivers training car was a mini van. He has driven our Dodge truck, as well as a Geo Metro and a Geo Tracker. I think the MINI is a bit too much car for a beginning driver. He is pretty mature and sensible for his age, however the whole word 'inexperienced' with what could happen regarding problems with his car, something he has done, or something someone else may do is just too much. He can drive the old Dodge truck he purchased with his money, or one of the Geos all he wants. Hands off the MINI!

Old 07-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Minisizd
3rd Gear
I have to echo the sentiments most people have posted here, and that is to not allow them to drive. Too much can go wrong. They're not liscenced yet. Two of them are nieces, but the other two are friends. Who's to say, heaven forbid, that you do have a fender-bender, and shortly after they go home in 2 weeks, one of the friends develops back trouble? I highly doubt your insurance will cover it, and you'll be ripe for a lawsuit.

Obviously since you own a Ferrari, 2 P cars and an MCS you aren't a schlub like most of us here, but why risk the health and welfare of a brand-new MCS that isn't even broken in yet to some teenage girls?

I don't want to sound like a wet blanket. I think it's really great that you're even considering it, but while infintessimal as the chances may be, there is always something that could go horribly wrong. We just had a horrific crash here a few days ago involving 5 teenage girls, who had just graduated highschool. They were on the way to a cabin at the lake to celebrate their graduation. Here's a few links:

http://rochesterhomepage.net/content...ext/?cid=11403

http://www.rochesterdandc.com/apps/p...0348/1002/NEWS

Now don't get me wrong. I know a lot of us probably spent some time behind the wheel before we had our permits (supervised or not), but times have changed. There are so many more cars on the road now than there were just a sparse 10-20 years ago. That, and to be quite honest, today's kids are too easily distracted by CDs, radios, cell phones. They have the attention span of a gnat. They don't realize that it isn't a vehicle they're driving, it is a (in the case of a Mini) 2,700lb projectile.

Sorry for the diatribe, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:29 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well the part about the learner's permit is perfectly valid...and having a legal barrier is the best, most effective way to curb their excitement. The go-kart track is a great addition to the plan...they'll still have a blast so not to worry!!

BTW, good for you for being so much fun...it's a wonderful role to play in these young lady's lives. As strong as parental influences are, other significant adults play an vital role (and not to be underestimated) in helping teens grow up well.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:30 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
I guess i'm going to be the only one who tells you let them drive it with you in the car. Yes the car could get hurt and yes they could get hurt but thats life any one of us could die or get hurt at any moment. If you keep telling someone "oh you're too young" when will they ever learn anything?

Old 07-01-2007, 03:50 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daveag98
Have them learn on a 10k toyota or some other pos, but not a 30k sports car.

Its not that i think they will ruin the car, but the car will ruin them. If you start out driving such a nice car, what do they have to look forward too? How do you unspoil a driver?
bah..i got mine as a teen..and i thoroughly enjoy being a spoiled driver.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:37 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by daveag98
Have them learn on a 10k toyota or some other pos, but not a 30k sports car.
What 30K sports car. By no stretch of the imagination is a MINI a sportscar

10K toyota is a POS?:impatient

Old 07-01-2007, 04:45 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
What 30K sports car. By no stretch of the imagination is a MINI a sportscar
yeah, thats what I was thinking.

woo! 30k!....how exotic