R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 4 Girls (15 yrs old) Want to Drive my new Mini !

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Rubino
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 Girls (15 yrs old) Want to Drive my new Mini !

My wife and I have taken in our 2 Nieces, and 2 friends for the next 4 weeks and the my new MCSa should arrive before they leave. They ALL want driving lessons in the Mini when it gets here!

Should I have my head examined?

Actually, it sound kind'a fun, I trained their older sister 3 year ago on my 03 MCS and she still talks about the good training she reveived.

Accepting free valium donations , and contributions to the ding and dent fund.

All suggestions welcome on dealing with 15 year old girls from those of you with greater experince.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:49 PM
BigSky
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rubino
My wife and I have taken in our 2 Nieces, and 2 friends for the next 4 weeks and the my new MCSa should arrive before they leave. They ALL want driving lessons in the Mini when it gets here!

Should I have my head examined?

Actually, it sound kind'a fun, I trained their older sister 3 year ago on my 03 MCS and she still talks about the good training she received.

Accepting free valium donations , and contributions to the ding and dent fund.

All suggestions welcome on dealing with 15 year old girls from those of you with greater experience.
Sounds like the perfect time to request a "dealer loaner"!

Alpha Motoring
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Is that Ferrar in the sig yours?

SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
All I can say is.....GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-30-2007, 01:53 PM
daveag98
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
personally NO and NO come to mind.

Have them learn on a 10k toyota or some other pos, but not a 30k sports car.

Its not that i think they will ruin the car, but the car will ruin them. If you start out driving such a nice car, what do they have to look forward too? How do you unspoil a driver?

just my thoughts, good luck and i suggest getting an rx for zanyx

Old 06-30-2007, 01:54 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All suggestions welcome on dealing with 15 year old girls from those of you with greater experince.
My advise....are you mad!?!?!

First of all, the engine has to go through a break-in period...I'd milk that for all its worth!!!

Second, take them all out (no matter how many) for a cruise in the MINI to get ice cream!! If there's one thing that can distract these ladies from driving the MINI, it's that delicious creamy delicacy!!!!

Also, photo ops with/in the MINI might suffice...or some MINI swag. I can't blame them for wanting to relate with the car and get into the whole excitement.

That said....a spin around the block w/ you in the car probably wouldn't hurt. But if they are inexperienced drivers I'd keep that to an absolute minimum.

15 y/o are bonkers about cars in general but understand little of what's involved and have none of the instincts/experience needed. As I said, they probably just want to get into the fun, so minimizing real time in the driver's seat may be okay w/ them.

Imagine how they'd feel if there was a mishap?? Imagine how you'd feel??

Whatever you decide...have a blast!!!!

Old 06-30-2007, 01:58 PM
korby
6th Gear
I tried to teach my wife and my 16 year old son to drive the MCS ,no luck my wife cried , the first thing my son did was throttle to 5000 RPM's and drop the clutch.I dont think it's a good car to learn on.Oh , that was the first thing he did and the last.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:07 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
If you really intend to go through with this....

First, a team photo with all the gals.
Second, about 3 rules that may not be violated.
Third, one at a time in the car with you.
Fourth, no iPod, no phone, no radio or CD playing.
Fifth, pray.
(No, make that first.)

Old 06-30-2007, 02:50 PM
DanF
5th Gear
Does your insurance cover drivers under 25 years old? I know this varies state to state but my policy says no drivers under 25. I've let a few people drive my car, just because I like to share the mini experience but I've turned down anyone under 25, just because i am not willing to take that risk. Under 25 driver gets in an accident, insurance pays nothing on my policy.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:06 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
I've been able to maintain a policy....and so have some friends....that only they drive their MINI!! I'm not ugly about it...I'm just the most obsessed!!! If you get your car and find the prospect of handing over the keys brings on fits of trembling...go with that instinct. Since it's an automatic that simplifies things, but unless these ladies have some prior driving experience they should be driving only in a parking lot or something.

They're just excited (all the more w/ 4 of them)...that does not mean they should drive! A nice test drive (w/ out them driving) sufficed for my nieces.

Last edited by gokartride; 06-30-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:09 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by DanF
Does your insurance cover drivers under 25 years old? I know this varies state to state but my policy says no drivers under 25. I've let a few people drive my car, just because I like to share the mini experience but I've turned down anyone under 25, just because i am not willing to take that risk. Under 25 driver gets in an accident, insurance pays nothing on my policy.
This is a very, very good point.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
I couldnt even imagine it There's no way I would let a teenager ever drive my car

Old 06-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Rubino
2nd Gear
Great advice from all. Still contemplating the process but i can't help but feeling,... this should be fun!

The basics are what we're after here. Empty Parking lot at an office park parting lot on an early Sunday morning kinda thing.

Short turns,
Slow drives around the lot
Parking practice
Controls, and essentials for beginning drivers.
Etc.

Also, since this Mini is a Steptronic, the dreaded "newbie clutch" issues should be moot.

I especially agree with "one-et-a-time" rule, and no radio, phone etc.
My other vehicle choices seem too much for a young driver. My wife's 997S is a bit too quick off the line for a new driver. The Ferrari (yes a 360) is strictly off limits except as a passenger, or photo-op, and the Cayenne Turbo is a bit of a beast as well. The throttle and brakes on that thing take a bit of training.
The Mini is still the best choice of our fleet. And very stylish for a trainer. ( or a used Corolla)

They all arrive tomorrow night, and we're getting Jet ski instructions on Tuesday, along with some wake board training. This is my summer to be a "rent-a-parent" with the benefit of being able to send them home in a few weeks. Keep the suggestions coming, and I'll post some updates as the story unfolds.

I plan on keeping my left hand near the Hand-Brake as well

Old 06-30-2007, 03:30 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Okay, here's the real question...are you the "fun uncle???" If so...that's very cool...but beware 15 y/o girls and do not be afraid to set a limit and stick to it (which it seems you are doing). Kids are not served well by excessive permissiveness, but well-thought-out, rational, safety-oriented limits will actually go a long way in helping them learn more about good driving and motoring safety...a good learning opportunity. Stand fast on the limits you set, though, out of love for them. They may whine, but deep down they will feel good about your concern for them.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:48 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
My wife's 997S is a bit too quick off the line for a new driver.
Maybe, but if they can learn to drive a 911, they can drive anything, anytime, anywhere

Old 06-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Rubino
2nd Gear
[quote=gokartride;1601995]Okay, here's the real question...are you the "fun uncle???"

Yup !

That's us, the fun aunt & uncle that everyone wants to spend time with. But yes we do have limits, and so far the process has been very rewarding, and we havn't been tested. but to tell the truth, I'ts been two years since we've had them for an extended time, and with cell phones, blizzard speed text messaging, friends with cars, and their maturing, I don't quite know what to expect this time.

Kinda scarry.

Last edited by Rubino; 06-30-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DanF
Does your insurance cover drivers under 25 years old? I know this varies state to state but my policy says no drivers under 25.
And no insurance company would pay a claim on an unlicensed driver. I see in North Carolina that you have to be 18 to obtain a license or a permit. These girls are three years away from being able to drive legally.

If you're able to afford the potential financial loss, go for it. Otherwise, I'd limit their fun to riding with you at the wheel.

That said, I owned my own car at age 15. By that time, I had already had a license for a year. In Idaho, we could obtain a license at 14 with driver's training.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:21 PM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
Do you want a new nephew, 'fun uncle'? 'Cause there is no way I would let my 16 year old boy drive my car, and if your gonna let 4 15 year old girls drive...well all the better for him! All kidding aside, I would be mortified. I have had to let my son drive (a different vehicle) for his 40 hours of 'dual' time, and even now I would have to say NO WAY!!!

Old 06-30-2007, 07:36 PM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fun uncle or not, my gut feeling would be to not allow it. There are way too many things that can happen with inexperienced drivers and a new, fun car.

Also, will your insurance cover any damage caused by any of the girls?

Old 06-30-2007, 07:36 PM
minjae
6th Gear
nothing wrong in letting them go back and forth.
keep your hand on the ebrake JUST in case..

Old 06-30-2007, 07:42 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
If this is the girls' first time behind the wheel chances are they will be petrified!!! Excited...and petrified!!! If this is so, in a highly controlled setting they may only last 5-minutes or less! They're probably just excited and like MINIs (who can blame them)...if you can rechannel part of that enthusiasm great.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:13 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I guess I have to be a spoil-sport here. I don't think it's wise to let unlicensed 15-year-olds drive ANY car, whether MINI or not. If they have learner's permits, that is different. I'm sure your insurance will not cover them if they are underage and unlicensed. For me it is simple: if it's not covered by my insurance policy then it's not happening...period.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:16 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Time check

2:43 p.m. is a little early to have polished off a fifth of tequila. Get back to us when you sober up.

Teenagers and Minis are not a good pairing, imo.

Last edited by surfblue; 06-30-2007 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:24 AM
Rubino
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by surfblue
2:43 p.m. is a little early to have polished off a fifth of tequila. Get back to us when you sober up. ..., imo.
OK, OK... I'm slow, dense, and stubborn,
But... It Looks like I've been warned, chastised, and thoroughly scarred into thinking this is a bad idea. We're going to the go-kart track that just opened up first & I'll report back.
Maybe it's just better to leave it to the rental toys.

Thanks for re-introducing gravity into the decision process.

Cheers.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:35 AM
Mgibrace
4th Gear
I've taught my 17 yr old daughter to drive a stick in my 930. I'll let her drive my MCS when it gets here. I'll probably teach my 16 yr old daughter in the MCS. Both learned on BMW automatics with the radio fuse removed after we tearned them loose. Fuse stayed out for the first 6 mo. My wife has run my racecar on track days. They're just cars. Why not start in something fun?

Grade them when on the kart track and let them know ahead of time you're doing it. Decide from there. I'm kind of assuming you're taking those bundles of estrogen with you, right?

YMMV

Quick Reply: R56 4 Girls (15 yrs old) Want to Drive my new Mini !