R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MC Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Duffer
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MC Test Drive

I finally got around to test driving a MC yesterday and was pleasantly surprised that it had adequate acceleration compared to my current car (BMW 328i). I like the fact that the MC has a spare tire, because the ride with the 15" is much better than the 16" w/run flats which exhibited a good deal of chatter even on good pavement. The handling with the 15's was also excellent.

I didn't particularly like the clutch; the release point seemed a little snappy quick for me, and the pedals are very close although I'm sure it would be an easy adjustment. This wouldn't be the best car to teach a newbie how to drive a manual.

I really liked the engine sound which didn't sound buzzy like most 4 cylinder engines. I'm not fond of the huge speedometer, but I was pleased to notice that the speed was included in digital on the tach.

I plan to also drive the Audi A5, Infiniti G37, and Porsche Cayman, but they'll have to be 2x+ better because they cost 2x+ the MC which is a tall order.

If any of you have made similar comparisons, I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:48 PM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the MCa, love it. Has all the Zip and Zoomph that I need, Also has a spare tire.. If you dont like the Big speedo you will be pleased with the Navigation system that fits in its place. Good luck with your choices.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:54 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Did you drive the MCS? About 50% more HP.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:09 PM
dbhouston
4th Gear
I bought an MCS, but first tested the Lotus Elise, Audi TT, BMW M4 Coupe, and the Porsche Cayman. They were all great cars in their own right. If I had the money to squander, I would be in the Cayman right now. But the MINI provided tons of fun for a much better price. Also, the MCS gave me a small touch of practicality in that it has a back seat. The Lotus was too tight for my 6'2" frame and had no room for even a bag of groceries. Not gonna cut it for a daily drive. I didn't like the redesign of the Audi. The BMW just didn't feel as in control somehow. But the Cayman was perfect. The weight distribution was evident in the way it handled. Love that car.

All things considered, the MCS is still a hell of a ride. I've had it for months now (Week 3 production) and have yet to get bored.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:13 PM
at7815
3rd Gear
It'll be hard to compare an MC or even MCS with the Cayman S. They are in completely distinct categories. Costs about 3 times more, but amazing! While I didn't consider the Cayman when I was shopping for a car b/c of a budget...I did consider a Boxster S and I loved the car, still do but decided to go with the MCS b/c it was fun and more reasonably priced. With that said, I ended up not getting NAV b/c it would move the car into the $30k for me and once it hit that...I was going to start having second thoughts...

Good luck with the search!!!!

Old 07-05-2007, 02:41 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Duffer
If any of you have made similar comparisons, I would be interested to hear your thoughts.
I'm a bit of a MINI guy so I don't do a lot of comparing, but I too really like Coopers. You're right about adjusting to the car...it happens. The center speedo has always been a Mini-thing so to me a MINI would look incomplete w/o it. Bottom line...the cost of a Cooper compared with the driving quality and fun of the car make it an amazing value and, to me, makes the whole deal that much more attractive!! It's a great little package with amazing driveability with solid heritage...and if you get into that at all it's a very hard deal to pass up.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Duffer
3rd Gear
Thanks for the feedback, in answer to TheBigNewt, I did not drive the MCS. My assumption is that if I want something really fast (for track use, etc.) I would probably go with one of the other cars I mentioned.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:05 PM
beatloafer
1st Gear
I had the same reaction about the MC... I test drove a 2007 MCS with Sport Suspension and I felt like the ride was insanely harsh. I drive an IS300 that I lowered over an inch and that rides softer than that MCS. I was definitely expecting a lot more compliance. I then drove a MC with 15's and it felt perfect. Just as sporty, but much more compliant. My question is, will the MCS feel harsh on 16's w/o the Sport Suspension?

Old 07-06-2007, 06:32 PM
kreative
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by djam43
I have the MCa, love it. Has all the Zip and Zoomph that I need, Also has a spare tire.. If you dont like the Big speedo you will be pleased with the Navigation system that fits in its place. Good luck with your choices.
actually, the speedo is still there, just in the background of the NAV. makes it even harder to see your speed w/ the NAV going. i liked the gen1 chrono pack so that you could have both your speedo & tach above the steering wheel and other gauges such as oil, water, etc where the center speedo was. bring it back MINI!

Old 07-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Zman
3rd Gear
really fast ususally means more weight

the MCS/MC excel in quicker times through turns. they hold their own on small/tight courses against many other cars from what i have read on the net and magazines. for only $3k more, you should at least try the MCS...

that said, the lighter 15 inch standard wheels make the MC pretty fun to drive under most conditions.

Originally Posted by Duffer
Thanks for the feedback, in answer to TheBigNewt, I did not drive the MCS. My assumption is that if I want something really fast (for track use, etc.) I would probably go with one of the other cars I mentioned.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:58 PM
srfrman7
3rd Gear
I really want to test drive the new MC 6 speed.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Duffer
3rd Gear
Porsche Cayman

I test drove the Cayman yesterday.

Positives
Sounds incredible
Probably the stiffest chassis I've ever driven.
Almost certainly the best handling of any car in my short list (see 1st post)

Negatives
Small, very tight cockpit, footwells are tiny.
Particularly rough ride
Hard to imagine a long trip in this car, good 2nd car if you have the room.