R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Laser Blue or Lightening Blue w Blk Top

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 02:34 PM
UMM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laser Blue or Lightening Blue w Blk Top

Ok everyone weight in between the two colors.

Black center wheels w a silver or chrome lip and black roof are already set.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Salty
3rd Gear
I really like the Laser Blue, but I thought I would get tired of having such a high profile color after awhile so I ordered something more timeless

Old 07-12-2007, 02:46 PM
manifest
3rd Gear
Check my gallery for some Lightening Blue with black top shots. It's an excellent darker blue.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:11 PM
soul embrace
6th Gear
i orderd lightning blue with black top, blue and black are my two favorite colors so i will now have my two favorite colors on my car. i like the darker blues better. i started out going to do the body color roof but while talking to my MA he mention that if i wanted the sunroof to be less obvious to go with the black roof. so i decided to go that route and i'm happy i did.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:56 PM
mataku
5th Gear
I placed my order for a laser blue w/ black top yesterday. My fiance and friend say they like the lightning blue better. I think if it wasn't for the fact that when I saw the electric blue and laser blue that my mind just said, now THAT's the color, then I would be swayed with the lightning blue. Have you seen them yet? You really have to see them in the metal as the configurator doesn't capture the colors well. The lightning blue is really nice, it's better if you want that sort of dark, mysterious type of attitude. I'm not sure what the laser blue says, but I just love it.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:34 PM
daveag98
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i went lighting blue, it was lighting blue or night fire red and mini made that choice for me by not allowing NFS in S.

I like the dark blue i think it shows well in both sun and shade and looks just awesome going down the road.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:16 AM
dsg_va
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Absolutely Lighting Blue !!!

Ciao from Italy

Old 07-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I thought the laser blue was a little too "cute", so I went with Lightning. However, I would not call Lightning Blue "dark."

Old 07-13-2007, 07:38 AM
ENEMINI
2nd Gear
I agree with LynnEl, although compared to the Laser Blue, LiB is substantially "darker" it is a deeper, richer blue....and boy does it just pop. Your black rims won't have such a high contrast with the LiB and might mesh better with the overall look of your car, unless you're into high contrasting vehicles.

LiB looks terrific, every car meet I attend, lots of people comment on how awesome a blue it is!

Old 07-13-2007, 07:41 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
You have to see for yourself and decide. It took me 2 months to decide on the color.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:42 AM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
I think I would be more partial to Laser Blue myself, although Electric Blue has been associated with the word...a-hem...'bubbly'.
Depends on what you want to portray. The classic Lightning vs. the slightly 'cuter' Laser.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:57 AM
mataku
5th Gear
hm.. this talk about bubbly and cute being more related to the laser is making me second guess. I don't really want my car to be associated with cute, I have 2 weeks to decide.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:57 AM
Phil K
3rd Gear
I went back and forth between lightning and laser blue. I like them both, both create their own mood. Ultimately, laser blue is (to me) more unique than lightning blue and presents a very lively and happy feel (although the black roof gives the laser blue alot more 'tude). Also, lightning blue is a more classic, safer, if you will, color, so I went with laser blue. Both are delicious.

Last edited by Phil K; 07-13-2007 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
The damn car IS cute. Get the color you like; not the "image" other people see. I, too, debated bewtween the two colors. I don't agree that Lightning is a "classic" color however. It is extremely metallic and, although darker than laser, it is certainly NOT dark or formal looking.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:07 AM
mataku
5th Gear
NoOOoOoOo.. don't say that. I really don't think the car is cute, but that's a matter of opinion. I would agree that the lightning isn't "classic." I guess it's not a matter of what people see, but how I feel in the car; so how I think people see the car is related to how I feel in the car. I currently have a PW/B which I really love, it looks elegant which I think helps with cops not paying as much attention to me; something I would lose if I go with the laser.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I haven't had a cop issue. But I can't seem to get out of the Safeway parking lot without being detained by curious admirers. They love how cute it is.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:34 AM
holls
2nd Gear
You don't think it is cute? Well...you're right - it is a matter of opinion and to each his own! I think it is *so* cute. And....I ordered a Lightning Blue/Black a week ago. Can't wait!! ...will start another thread about the details of it.

Oh...so, I forgot to say....I would advise getting the Lightning Blue/Black!

Last edited by holls; 07-13-2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:50 AM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
The more flashy colors will get you noticed more, especially by your friendly law enforcement personel. Cant think of all the times I am cruisin along with people all aroung me, minding my own business, and I get tagged by you-know-who hiding by the side of the road. I drive these roads enough to know where they are going to be, and my radar detector gets a hit more times than not. Same thing does NOT happen in my Geo Tracker, or my husbands truck. The only other car I had this 'problem' with was my Datsun Z car.
Hope I didnt offend anyone with the 'classic' statement tho...just my personal opinion. How about if I say it looks classier? I also think the PW, and BRG are classier(IMO), maybe because they are a little more subdued. The primary colors-to me that is-seem more fun. There is no denying the car is cute no matter the color. It is what you do to it after that either emphasize, or take away from the cute factor.
I like all the colors, I am not by any means a 'bubbly' person even though my car is a pretty vibrant color, I just hope that I have taken away some of the 'bubbly-ness' (that some have said called EB) out of my car. I aim to do that.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:29 AM
mataku
5th Gear
hm... really thinking the color combo now because of the cop thing. It probably wouldn't be a big deal if I drove the limit, but I usually drive what I'm comfortable with, so many opportunities there.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I think it is ridiculous to not get a color you want because it will attract cops. Don't drive like an idiot! I drive fast and I have a V1 detector. But, I don't pass people on the shoulders, don't tailgate, don't burn rubber (on purpose anyway), I don't drive with passengers standing up with their heads through the sunroof..... And I have no cop problems. If you are having cop problems, it ain't 'cause of the color of your car. "Uhh, Your Honor, I pulled them over because they were driving a bright yellow coupe." I don't think so.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Phil K
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
The damn car IS cute. Get the color you like; not the "image" other people see. I, too, debated bewtween the two colors. I don't agree that Lightning is a "classic" color however. It is extremely metallic and, although darker than laser, it is certainly NOT dark or formal looking.
Perhaps it's all in the eye of the beholder and maybe classic was the wrong term, but I do believe that lightning blue is more formal/conservative than laser blue. Bottom line, get the color that makes YOUR heart go pitter patter.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:47 PM
mataku
5th Gear
I dont drive like an idiot, but as moodylewdd pointed out it does catch your attention more. Also what the cop judges about the person driving the car will determine what it takes for the cop to pull them over. A station wagon going down the street the same speed as a riced out civic would not get the same treatment. All in all, I'm probably still going to get the Laser blue, I already have a name for it and I can't use it if I go for a different color.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:39 PM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
I dont drive like an idiot, hang out my sunroof, burn rubber or pass on the shoulder either, but I do know when my radar detector announces that I have been tagged again. My driving record its clean, and I intend to keep it that way. They do selectively pick cars out when using radar. I have family in law enforcement, and they will look for the cars they feel are 'more likely' to be exceeding the speed limit or whatever. Two days ago I had just been passed by a speedy old lady in a pale salmon colored Ford Taurus. She passed me and was far enough in front of me to know that I was the one that was hit with the laser. I remember it because my husband was sitting shotgun, and he was amazed that she didnt get stopped. It is the same when you are driving, and see the MINI headed in the opposite direction, you spot it from a distance 'cause its sporty and distinct, now add a flashy color, and then you can see it for miles.
mataku, I am glad you are getting the LB, thats the color I would go with, obviously, from what I posted previously, and because of the color of my car.
You were looking for the pros and cons. I just wanted to present to you, what has been presented to me. I never considered my car to be 'bubbly' prior to having it mentioned on another thread.
I also wanted to let you know my experience. If I had not been in possession of a radar detector since my first car many years ago, I would have no clue that what I drive may attract the attention of our civil servants. I would just be happily cruising along like the laser invisible salmon Taurus lady.
Stick with your decision. I love the color of my car. I knew it was what I had to get as soon as I laid eyes on it. Like Phil K stated..."it made my heart go pitter patter".

Old 07-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
IMHO, the MINI is the only car that I can honestly say looks good in any colour!

Seeing as you've narrowed it down to either Laser or Lightning Blue then I cast my vote for LIGHTNING!

Either way it's gonna be beautiful cause it's a MINI!

Old 07-19-2007, 09:45 AM
MiniMoMir
2nd Gear
If it matters, I believe the Lightening Blue comes in both the S and the reg. Cooper, while the Laser Blue is only available in the S. I ordered the Lightening Blue when the configuerator was showing it to be far duller than it turned out to be. I've very happy with what it is. It has a deeper, darker, richer look compared to the Laser, yet it still VERY vibrant. Especially during daylight.
============

Quick Reply: R56 Laser Blue or Lightening Blue w Blk Top