R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Delivery Time from West Coast VDC

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 12:38 PM
LadyAquila
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delivery Time from West Coast VDC

For those of you who have had a "new arrival" in the past few months, how long did it take from arrival at the Port Hueneme VDC until you took delivery of your MINI?

So far on different threads, I have seen about a week for an L.A. delivery, and around 10 days or so for an Oregon delivery.

Please help out us future owners as we obsess waiting for our arrival in port! :impatient

Old 07-13-2007, 01:09 PM
maxshrike0
3rd Gear
I'd say 7-10 days is a very reasonable estimate for Northern California. I based this on my last experience with Titus (arrived May 28th). Most were getting their mini's 7-10 days later... Of course, I got the nasty call that my mini had been destroyed 10 days after arrival at the VDC. That day I was expecting my MA to call and say "come pick him up"..

But, Max-the-Second will dock with Manon on 7-15. I'm fully expecting to take delivery by 7-27! Or maybe that weekend?

Old 07-13-2007, 01:12 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by LadyAquila
For those of you who have had a "new arrival" in the past few months, how long did it take from arrival at the Port Hueneme VDC until you took delivery of your MINI?

So far on different threads, I have seen about a week for an L.A. delivery, and around 10 days or so for an Oregon delivery.

Please help out us future owners as we obsess waiting for our arrival in port! :impatient
From what I've read, those estimates are fairly accurate for delivery to the dealer not necessarily deliver to the customer. Any dealer options will slow it down.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:13 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Originally Posted by maxshrike0
Of course, I got the nasty call that my mini had been destroyed 10 days after arrival at the VDC. That day I was expecting my MA to call and say "come pick him up"..

But, Max-the-Second will dock with Manon on 7-15. I'm fully expecting to take delivery by 7-27! Or maybe that weekend?
What happened!!!?

You've had to wait twice? Bless your heart.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:23 PM
LadyAquila
2nd Gear
...Of course, I got the nasty call that my mini had been destroyed 10 days after arrival at the VDC. That day I was expecting my MA to call and say "come pick him up"..
Yikes! What a let down!

Delivery by 7-27 would be awesome!

Old 07-13-2007, 01:26 PM
LadyAquila
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
From what I've read, those estimates are fairly accurate for delivery to the dealer not necessarily deliver to the customer. Any dealer options will slow it down.
Good point about the dealer options! The only thing that they're doing for me is installing my checkered mirror caps (and maybe the bonnet stripes unless they do that at the VDC). That shouldn't be much of a hold up.

After tracking "Pippin" at every stage along the way, it seems ironic that the last week or two will be such a mystery!

Old 07-13-2007, 04:03 PM
ILV2MTR
1st Gear
I am on the MANON,too.

I wonder if having 600+ on this shipment will slow down the VDC and in what order they process the cars? First off the ship or by order date?

Old 07-13-2007, 04:29 PM
tigwantstoplay
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ILV2MTR
I am on the MANON,too.

I wonder if having 600+ on this shipment will slow down the VDC and in what order they process the cars? First off the ship or by order date?
If I remember correctly from the VDC threads, "Priority 1" orders (those MINIs already sold) get priority processing.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Mgibrace
4th Gear
I was 6 days from unload to Portland. Then a day or 2 to do final prep. Surprisingly quick. Sacramento should be a day quicker if you're lucky.

FWIW, the car's worth every minute of the wait.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:45 PM
maxshrike0
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tigwantstoplay
What happened!!!?

You've had to wait twice? Bless your heart.
Hey Tig, yep... Had to wait twice. They wouldn't tell me what happened exactly. Maybe it is better that way. I'm sure Max1 went to that big racetrack in the sky....

And waiting builds character, right? OK, forget that @#$%#&* $@#&!

Ok, I'm ok now...

Old 07-13-2007, 06:49 PM
maxshrike0
3rd Gear
I am on the MANON,too.
Hmmm, that actually is a good question. I forgot that WW missed the 6/18 shipment. (it was scratched from their schedule for some reason). Therefore, there are more minis on Manon than normal...

And even with the "priority 1" (already sold) going first, there are more "Priority 1's" on Manon....that means....

Holy crap! #$%$!#$^&*

Old 07-13-2007, 07:03 PM
SimpsonGI
Hmmm, that actually is a good question. I forgot that WW missed the 6/18 shipment. (it was scratched from their schedule for some reason). Therefore, there are more minis on Manon than normal...

And even with the "priority 1" (already sold) going first, there are more "Priority 1's" on Manon....that means....

Holy crap! #$%$!#$^&*
Aye, I would expect it would slow it down some. Hopefully they'll get them all processed before the Isolde is due to arrive the following week .

Old 07-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking back at the Week 13 thread is seems that The Isolde landed at Hueneme on or about May 1st. My MCS was released from Hueneme on the 5th, and I picked it up at MINI of Mountain View on the 10th. IIRC, one person picked their MINI in So. Cal on the 4th.

So, it depends on when the MINI is unloaded from the ship, what has to be done at the VDC (clean up, damage repair, some parts installations...), how long it takes to load a truck and transport it to your dealer, and how long dealer prep takes. No dealer installed parts were added to my MINI. They didn't even have to drill the front bumper for the license plate.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:45 PM
cnolan
2nd Gear
I live in LA, had mine within 3 days of the ship docking. Was way faster than I thought.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:08 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Delivery time may also depend upon how many other ships have docked before yours. When the Maersk Wind carrying my car docked on April 3, three ships had come in to Port Hueneme in the nine days before that. As a result, there was a huge backlog.

Besides the Minis on board, there will also be a large number of BMWs going to the same VDC. That will also affect how soon yours get through.

My car wasn't available for pickup at Rasmussen in Portland until April 21. Buyers in Tacoma had theirs delivered to Northwest Mini before Rasmussen received theirs.

Once you get your car, you'll quickly forget how long it took. I had to go back to an earlier thread to remind myself when the Maersk Wind docked.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:20 AM
SimpsonGI
Originally Posted by Sowellman
Delivery time may also depend upon how many other ships have docked before yours. When the Maersk Wind carrying my car docked on April 3, three ships had come in to Port Hueneme in the nine days before that. As a result, there was a huge backlog.

Besides the Minis on board, there will also be a large number of BMWs going to the same VDC. That will also affect how soon yours get through.

My car wasn't available for pickup at Rasmussen in Portland until April 21. Buyers in Tacoma had theirs delivered to Northwest Mini before Rasmussen received theirs.

Once you get your car, you'll quickly forget how long it took. I had to go back to an earlier thread to remind myself when the Maersk Wind docked.
Aye, It would be nice if there was a VDC for Mini in Tacoma. I know the West Coast ships go from Port Hueneme to Tacoma. It is a 3 day trip for them and I'd imagine that would be much quicker than the truck time. For those of us being served by Rasmussen in Portland it would probably cut the time in about half (the time from VDC to delivery to the dealer) even if you include the 3 days for the trip to Tacoma via the Pacific Ocean.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Tharkun
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
Aye, It would be nice if there was a VDC for Mini in Tacoma. I know the West Coast ships go from Port Hueneme to Tacoma. It is a 3 day trip for them and I'd imagine that would be much quicker than the truck time. For those of us being served by Rasmussen in Portland it would probably cut the time in about half (the time from VDC to delivery to the dealer) even if you include the 3 days for the trip to Tacoma via the Pacific Ocean.
Think one of the main issues would be that WW lines only has twice monthly service to Tacoma. Also if you look at land miles and take off the distance from Tacoma to Portland from Oxnard to Portland, roughly 700 miles remains. Top speed of the WW ships is about 20-22 knots, average about 15 -16 knots.
All things being equal with a VDC in Tacoma verses Oxnard.......think the trucks will still be the fastest route.

Last edited by Tharkun; 07-14-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:08 AM
LadyAquila
2nd Gear
I know that I was one of the first ON the ship based on loading times in WW. I'm probably tucked away in some far corner. I hope "last off" doesn't equal "last on a truck out of the VDC"!

You're right about all the extra MINI's though. It's bound to take longer.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:08 AM
GNALUZU
1st Gear
I think we were the last car off of the Titus. Boat arrived on May 28th and we didn't pick up from the dealership until June 19th. Car didn't arrive at the dealership until June 13th, and then they had to prep the car with the union jacks everywhere.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:41 AM
minicooper4me2
2nd Gear
I live in Orange County and took delivery in May. In my case, it was only 2 days for my MA to contact me and say my car was ready!