R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MINI installed Alarm System

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:42 AM
RatDogMan
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI installed Alarm System

Just ordered my MINI with the now available "alarm system". Note that the website quotes $225 for it but the dealer says MINI ordering system adds $400. Kind of false advertising.

Anyone else getting the alarm system? Any information for it? Worth the price?

Thanks and "Let's MOTOR" ...

Old 07-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The items that are dealer installed only show the cost for the part on the website. Considering what the dealer wanted to install my mud flaps, the installed price of $400 isn't that bad.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:52 AM
RatDogMan
1st Gear
This is the new alarm system factory installed. Nothing to do with the dealer. (I hope anyway)

Old 07-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
If you are getting it factory-installed, you should get it for the price stated on the website.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:57 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the alarm on my '03 and was quite pleased with it. I plan to get one for my R56, too, not that they're out.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
I had the alarm on my '03 and was quite pleased with it. I plan to get one for my R56, too, not that they're out.
+1, except your 03 is my 04.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:00 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Just ask them where it's installed. If it's anyplace other than the dealer it should be $225. If it's at the dealer, than they can tack on whatever labor they want, basically.

There's a lot of stuff that's installed at the dealer...Sirius, bonnet stripes, iPod adapter...they tack on labor for all of those things.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:39 AM
ahalibut
3rd Gear
Actually I played with this just now on MINIusa.com and if you add the alarm system (same graphic and description) under the Electronics options (step 4 I think) it's $450. If you add it as an Accessory (step 5) it's $225.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:40 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Jeez, $400 will get you a pretty nice aftermarket alarm. I wouldn't pay that for a factory setup. No way.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:15 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Do I really need an alarm system?

Old 07-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Scoobywrx
3rd Gear
Alarm price went up WTFF?
It was 275 as a factory option yesterday.
Now its 225 as an accessory and NOW 400 as an option installed.. WTF?

Old 07-18-2007, 08:36 PM
mataku
5th Gear
I always wanted an alarm for my R50, but in the end decided it wasn't worth it. Unless your getting good insurance discount, alarm isn't the most useful thing. It's not like anybody will stop someone from breaking into your car just because the alarm is going of.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:08 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by Scoobywrx
Alarm price went up WTFF?
It was 275 as a factory option yesterday.
Now its 225 as an accessory and NOW 400 as an option installed.. WTF?
When I ordered the alarm system on my MCSa my MA quoted me $400. If you look in the configurator in the in Step 4 under instruments it is listed as $400 which is the factory installed option. In step 5, you are now in the accessories section which are all dealer installed items. The prices listed here do not include installation. After the installation costs it would probably be the same $400 as if it were factory installed but it would just take longer for you to take delivery on your Mini because the dealer would need to install it when your Mini arrives there instead of being installed at the factory.

Last edited by SimpsonGI; 07-18-2007 at 10:09 PM. Reason: fixed spelling typo
Old 07-18-2007, 11:42 PM
aus
3rd Gear
I wonder if this alarm is like the BMW units, where it takes a couple minutes to intall. Basically a DIY, but you need to bring it to the dealer to activate.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:07 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rattmobbins
Jeez, $400 will get you a pretty nice aftermarket alarm. I wouldn't pay that for a factory setup. No way.
Also, a potential problem with factory alarms is that the module locations, sensor locations, and wiring colour codes are all pretty easy for a potential thief to find out, since they're always the same.

With aftermarket alarms, there's at least some variance with how/where things are hooked up. There was even an alarm in the late 80's or early 90's (I think it was the "New York City" alarm by Code-Alarm) where *every wire* was black, to make it harder for a thief to know which wire did what. There were some tags on the wires to make the installation easier, but the tags were discarded as you connected each wire, leaving a bunch of unmarked black wires. As long as you did the installation cleanly and didn't put the alarm "brain" someplace obvious, it was very difficult to tell the alarm wiring from the factory wiring.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:23 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by aus
I wonder if this alarm is like the BMW units, where it takes a couple minutes to intall. Basically a DIY, but you need to bring it to the dealer to activate.
Assuming it's like the R53 system, yes. DIY was all plug and play. Even easier now that you have the red light on the tach instead of on the stalk.
Necessary? Not really, but just one of those "make my car somewhat less attractive than the next guy's car" for me. Also gives a chirp on arm/lock.

Personally I preferred the OEM because it was plug and play. While you can get an aftermarket system for less, I hesitate to cut/splice wires on a vehicle which is so electro-centric. Too many ways to cause issues (or cause an SA to doubt whether your issues are OEM or aftermarket related.)

Old 07-19-2007, 04:38 AM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
According to RELOEMPARTS, it has 3 components..tilt sensor, alarm module, and horn. I've seen the instructions, and it is indeed, plug & play (with vehicle coding). The biggest advantage, IMHO, is that the red LED on top of the tach, will flash. Without it, it is pretty obvious to everyone, that the MINI has no alarm.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...31&hg=65&fg=60

Old 07-19-2007, 06:50 AM
Scoobywrx
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
When I ordered the alarm system on my MCSa my MA quoted me $400. If you look in the configurator in the in Step 4 under instruments it is listed as $400 which is the factory installed option. In step 5, you are now in the accessories section which are all dealer installed items. The prices listed here do not include installation. After the installation costs it would probably be the same $400 as if it were factory installed but it would just take longer for you to take delivery on your Mini because the dealer would need to install it when your Mini arrives there instead of being installed at the factory.
It was 275 on Step 4 2 days ago..Now its 400...

Old 07-19-2007, 08:02 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
#1 The FACTORY installled Alarm is available, and has been since June 4th, the day I ordered mine.

#2 Picked up my mini with Factory installed alarm on july 3rd. It works GREAT, and the heartbeat status light looks kinda cool at night (red LED light on top of tach).

#3 Factory installed it is $400, which is what I paid.

#4 Ordered as an accessory, it might be $200 (and change?) becuase then the dealer has to install it. That is probably mainly for people who want to order it who have already received their cars without it. aka, Add it on.

#5 Is it worth $400?? NO. Is the chrome package which is made up of the same exact plastic trim pieces colored in chrome instead of grey worth $250 extra? NO. Is the Nav worth $2,100 when it cost BMW about $75? NO....... That said, did I order, and would I order ALL of the above again if I placed another order? YES.

#6 And to add to #5, is a hotdog at Shea stadium (Mets) worth $5.50? NO. Is a Budwieser worth $7.50? NO. Is the first thing we do when we get to Shea stadium is order a hotdog and beer? YES.

#7 Those talking about the Factory alarm being easy to beat /steal.... first, 2 minis have been reported stolen in the US in something like 3 years (that is AMAZING). Add an alarm, and probably neither of them would have been stolen. I doubt the crack attacks stealing cars, will bother loging int othe internet, looking up the wire color codes of the R56 BMW MINI alarm system, going out and finding a MINI, disabling it with the "secret" wire codes, then stealing it. They will probably steal the unlocked, non-alarmed mustang sitting right in front of it.

Nuff said.

Last edited by Birdman; 07-19-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:07 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Birdman
#5 Is it worth $400?? NO. Is the chrome package which is made up of the same exact plastic trim pieces colored in chrome instead of grey worth $250 extra? NO. Is the Nav worht $2,100 when it cost BMW about $75? NO. ...... That said, did I order, and would I order ALL of the above again if I placed another order? YES.

#6 Adn to add to #5, is a hotdog at Shea stadium (Mets) worth $5.50? NO. Is a Budwieser worth $7.50? NO. Is the first thing we do when we get to Shea stadium is order a hotdog and beer? YES.

If you are happy you got it, after spending the money on it, however much that was, it is worth it. I have a $175 pen that was worth it, and $3 CD that was not.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:10 AM
aus
3rd Gear
What's not worth it is the $150 the dealer is charging to plug the damn thing in and activate it. That's just a rip-off.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:04 AM
BludyL
3rd Gear
I do want it. But what's funny is I have left my doors completely unlocked (I'm forgetful sometimes). The locks on the doors are so stout, do you think that potential thiefs see it as locked anyway when it is not locked?

I chuckle at how useful an alarm would actually be if I forget to set it.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by BludyL
I chuckle at how useful an alarm would actually be if I forget to set it.
That's the other nice thing about the OEM - lock your doors, it chirps (if you want) and the alarm is automatically armed. No second button to push.
IMO the alarm is about deterrence. It's quite difficult to boost a MINI, the red flashing light just helps a would-be thief to try someone else's car before yours.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:21 AM
h20baby
2nd Gear
IMO alarm systems are nothing more then over priced alarm clocks that disturb the neighbors. If they want your car they are going to take it. And any good thief worth their weight is going to know EXACTLY how to disarm the puppy. I installed an immobilizer that kills the electrical juice. A key is needed to make a reconnection and you need to know where to put that key. In addition that I have a fuel shut off.

Its not fail proof but its going to make it harder.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Tess
4th Gear
then can i just buy something that will make the red light on the tach flash??? LOL

I'm not concerned about it being stolen, I park in a secured fenced area at work, and our neighborhood is safe.

Only stupid crack heads or a really organized MINI theft ring would try.
The crack heads wouldn't get past breaking a window, then they'd be dumbfounded by the nonexistent ignition switch. And the theft ring.. well if there is one and they get the car, I'm insured.

Quick Reply: R56 MINI installed Alarm System