R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 quick poll-oil change after break-in

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:04 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The recycling truck takes my oil only if it is in a gallon milk jug when it comes to pick up aluminum cans and mixed papers.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:55 PM
artsmini
2nd Gear
Changed mine at 3000 and plan to change it every 5000.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:29 PM
aus
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Coopaw
I've always changed my oil and filters every 5K miles in all my cars and knock on wood never had an engine problem. Since the mini uses synthetic oil i'm moving up to every 7.5K. I really believe it is more an issue of the oil filter more so than the oil. If you really want to pince pennies you could probably get away with changing the filter every 7.5K and leave the oil to 15K and just add what you lose in the filter change.
For me I'll go with the piece of mind and change it twice as often as they recommend and that's my 2 cents
You have an MCS... which means you have a Turbo, which gets MUCH hotter than a NA car, thus stressing your oil a LOT more.

No one here talks about doing a cool down period when they turn off their cars. When I had a GTI, I would drive very slowly the once I got into the residencial area on the way home in order to stay off boost. Then I would let it idle as I got my stuff ready to get out of the car or put the sun shade on. This all allowed time for the turbo to slow down so it wouldn't take too long to stop spinning once I turned the engine off, thus producing less heat in the turbo for the oil to deal with. Because when that engine turns off, so does the flow of oil to the turbo.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Coopaw
2nd Gear
As I mentioned most of the time i drive very conservatively. 99% of the time the system runs less than 5 to 10 seconds after I pull in the garage and turn the car off. Another indication is that I have @ 2500 miles on the car and the OBC when I start the car say I have 19000 miles to go before required service.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:01 PM
dwjj
6th Gear
Originally Posted by aus
You have an MCS... which means you have a Turbo, which gets MUCH hotter than a NA car, thus stressing your oil a LOT more.

No one here talks about doing a cool down period when they turn off their cars. When I had a GTI, I would drive very slowly the once I got into the residencial area on the way home in order to stay off boost. Then I would let it idle as I got my stuff ready to get out of the car or put the sun shade on. This all allowed time for the turbo to slow down so it wouldn't take too long to stop spinning once I turned the engine off, thus producing less heat in the turbo for the oil to deal with. Because when that engine turns off, so does the flow of oil to the turbo.
When you shut off the motor, a small auxilary pump keeps coolant going through the turbo, so you don't have to worry as much about it.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Mgibrace
4th Gear
Changed mine at 600 mi. Moderate sparkles in the oil. Probably will change it again in 3 mo or so and see what I've got. Oil's cheap, took 30 min the first time and prob 20 the next. Oil recycling to Shucks. Each to his/her own, but it's cheap peace of mind for me.

Plus, I go to the garage and see all the projects I've got going and where all the parts are hiding.........

Old 08-02-2007, 09:59 PM
aus
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dwjj
When you shut off the motor, a small auxilary pump keeps coolant going through the turbo, so you don't have to worry as much about it.
That's good to know. Coolant's better than nothing.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:04 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
Not true: "The Mini has engine oil sensors in it, sensing when the oil is dirty."

Old 08-03-2007, 07:05 AM
aem421
4th Gear
I changed the oil in my WRX every 3 months regardless of the mileage. I did the same thing when I had my Grand National. I used synthetic oil in both obviously. I've always done an oil change within the first 500-1000 miles of owning a new car, then started my regular intervals after that. It has never failed and I have never had a car leak or burn oil. I've had cars with over 150,000 miles on them and they ran like the day I bought them. If you plan on getting a new car every 3 years, then I would do whatever the manufacturer says, drive it like it's stolen, and don't worry about it. If you plan on keeping the car for a while and then want to get top dollar for it when you're ready to sell it, do regular maintanence and the car will run forever (well almost). I come from a long line of auto mechanics so this has been instilled in me since I was 16 years old. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:28 AM
Scoobywrx
3rd Gear
Filters don't do anygood over 7.5k you guys should do a group buy on some fumoto valves..

Old 08-03-2007, 07:31 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Scoobywrx
Filters don't do anygood over 7.5k you guys should do a group buy on some fumoto valves..
One web page on testing synthetic oils concluded that the oil was good for 15,000 miles, but the filters should be changed several times during that period.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Mgibrace
4th Gear
The fumoto would be scraped off awfully quickly........

Old 08-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A fumoto valve is not necessary. It is not a problem, but if you are going to change your own oil, then you won't cross thread it, you won't over tighten it and when you remove the factory plug the oil will drain out faster (larger opening) bringing with it more trash and deposits. Nothing wrong with the valve, but not necessary if you can handle a wrench properly. Just never let anyone else change your oil. Just to show you how crazy I am, I never go to a restaurant or hotel with valet parking. No kid is going to melt my clutch or park 'Lil Red' and bang the doors.

Oil filters...there is no set mileage that filters become ineffective... they trap whatever they are designed to trap from whatever oil is pushed through them. As brought up before, the oil filter is only on one of the branches where the oil goes. Some of it goes to the filter, the rest goes the engine bearings, etc.

When the oil filter picks up deposits, the pressure drop across the filter increases and with the same incoming pressure, less oil will be filtered. It would take a lot of sludge and particulate to blind off the filter, but it happens. When the filter is totally plugged, then all of the oil will just go to the engine (the system is designed to never starve the engine of oil if possible) and then none of the oil is being filtered. Depending upon where your oil pressure gauge (if you have one) is located, you may or may not know this is happening.

With the care and concern that all of us on this forum have, this is an acedemic issue, this will never happen.

So bottom line for me is.... don't worry about the oil filter. Put in the factory MINI filter and change it everytime you change the oil, hopefully more often than the factory recommendations, but again to each his own.

I'm just trying to get some of the facts straight so if you are debating what to do, you'll be making your decision from a standpoint of more information.

If you are still on the fence, catch your next oil drain in a 'clean' container' I use one of those disposable aluminum turkey roasting pans. Pour it through nothing more than one layer of paper towel. Take a look at what you catch.

When you pull the filter, carefully inspect it. Move the pleats apart on the ouside and look down in the bottom of the vee. First oil change, you will see a bunch of scary stuff.

After the first oil change you won't see much metal or grit, this is one reason it is so important to get that stuff out of there quickly, remember it is circulating and only a small portion is being filtered each time around.

I know I **** about this stuff, but that is why we all are here on this forum isn't it.

I have two cars sitting in my driveway right now. One with 550K, one with 340K, both on their original engines (never rebuilt). Both run great, use very little oil.

I just don't have the money to buy a new car every two to three years.... so maintenance is extra important to me. But that is just my way...

YD

Old 08-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MANY of you need a serious chemistry education.

That said, there are ALOT of folks (ones with Chemistry backgrounds) that will tell you it is NOT good to change the oil too often, OR too soon.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I plan to change my oil in accordance with the manufacturer's guidelines.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:22 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Birdman
MANY of you need a serious chemistry education.

That said, there are ALOT of folks (ones with Chemistry backgrounds) that will tell you it is NOT good to change the oil too often, OR too soon.
I love these little tidbits of "knowledge" that get dropped with no justification or explanation whatsoever. And we should believe what you are saying because???

Last edited by rattmobbins; 08-03-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Do you throw out food a week or so before the expiration date?

Old 08-03-2007, 12:57 PM
TEEAM HAM
1st Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Great analogy!

I too plan to go with the manufacturer's guidelines. It is doing me fine.

Ya'll have a great night! I go to pick up My 2007 MCS tomorrow!!!! WooHoo!

Old 08-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I'm excited for you, Ham!

Old 08-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Being a degreed chemist, I respectfull would like to hear your thoughts about your theory of changing oil too often.

YD

Old 08-03-2007, 01:25 PM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
Yo's Dad, I really appreciate all the info you have given! I plan on replacing my oil more frequently. For me it's peace of mind. I have always changed my own oil, so it's really no big deal.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Only when it has turned black and has flakes of metal in it.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:31 PM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
LOL...

Old 08-03-2007, 04:55 PM
nyctos
1st Gear
Quote:

"Only when it has turned black and has flakes of metal in it."

Lol I don't Know about you but it wouldn't need to have flakes of metal in it if it had turned black. One or the other would be good nuff for me.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:25 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Me too!

Yeah, I wanna hear about this too. I'm hoping it will verify that I can brush my teeth once a week.

Originally Posted by Yo'sDad
Being a degreed chemist, I respectfull would like to hear your thoughts about your theory of changing oil too often.

YD

Quick Reply: R56 quick poll-oil change after break-in