R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 quick poll-oil change after break-in

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:14 PM
gos1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Ah ha. Now I get it. Ignore the manufacturer's recommendations all around. Don't follow the break-in procedure (never mind they designed and tested the engine for years) and then change the oil way sooner than ought to be necessary because you didn't follow the break-in procedure to begin with.
LynneEl,

You bring up a great, and hot, point of debate, about what is the best method of engine break-in and initial oil change. My decision on the method and timing of break-in was to do some exhaustive (and should i say obsessive) research into the methods. I collected many, many opinions from skilled mechanics, engine builder, manufacturers, etc, which are in the attached MS word file. Reading through them, you will see engine break-in from a variety of perspectives. What I did, and was look for the common thread across all the opinions to try and find the right way to handle the initial and very important break-in period. My objective was to do it in the best way possible as i plan own my cooper for many many years.

Here is the recipie i have been following based on my research. I am not saying i am right, this is what i felt was the best way for me to treat the car so it would give me a long life with high-performance:

* Warmup car completely
* Always vary engine RPMs during break-in
* Short bursts of hard acceleration and deceleration in 2.5K - 3.5K rpm for first 100 -200 miles, with cooling down periods of 1 - 2 mins between actions.
* After 200 miles, slowly increase RPMs by ~200 each drive, with continued bursts of acceleration and deceleration.
* Have exersized the car over its full RPM range by the end of the break in period of 1200 miles (I have not reached that yet at all), otherwise there is a danger you will not be able to get full perforamnce from the higher end RPMs after break-in.
* Change oil at 500 miles (i did my actual change at 700)

Attached Files
File Type: doc
Engine Break-In.doc (739.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 08-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad you did what you are comfortable with. I have read all that information, too. And mainly what I came away with is that the advice that varies from the manufacturer's recommendation is based almost entirely on things that used to be true, but aren't any more and the "cut the ends off the ham" sort of bent. After reading what's out there, and the reasons for it, I say follow the manufacturer's recommendations.