R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Auxiliary Input Volume too Low

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:21 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good.... Thanks. I will remember that when I have something to stick in the Aux.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like it is different with the NAV. The only volume adjustment under AUX is the Speed-dependent Volume. This increases the volume as speed increases. You set the degree to which the volume increases. Do the non-NAV systems have this?

Old 08-24-2007, 09:36 PM
wondermini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Looks like it is different with the NAV. The only volume adjustment under AUX is the Speed-dependent Volume. This increases the volume as speed increases. You set the degree to which the volume increases. Do the non-NAV systems have this?
Yes, non-NAV has that also. You can set that independently for each input...meaning, if you're using a cd, you can set turn that up all the way, but could leave it down for the aux input if you wanted (not sure why you would, but that's how it works). This isn't really a fix for the low-volume aux input, though. The adjustment I describe above is the fix.

I tried out changing the volume on the iPod, and manifest is correct--no effect on the volume via aux.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wondermini
Yes, non-NAV has that also. You can set that independently for each input...meaning, if you're using a cd, you can set turn that up all the way, but could leave it down for the aux input if you wanted (not sure why you would, but that's how it works).
Have you tested that? It appears to me that you can set it from within the settings for each option -- Radio, CD, Aux..-- but it may just be one setting. The setting I gave the AUX showed up in the overall Setup setting.

This isn't really a fix for the low-volume aux input, though. The adjustment I describe above is the fix.
I wonder if the NAV + HIFI has an automatic input volume adjustment? I can't imagine them cutting features for the NAV upgrade.

I tried out changing the volume on the iPod, and manifest is correct--no effect on the volume via aux.
That works if you are going out of the iPod's headphone jack, but not if you are going out its dock port.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:03 AM
wondermini
4th Gear
Have you tested that? It appears to me that you can set it from within the settings for each option -- Radio, CD, Aux..-- but it may just be one setting. The setting I gave the AUX showed up in the overall Setup setting.

When I first got the Mini, I set it as high as it goes for the aux jack and assumed it would be up for everything else. Then when I went back, it was lower on cd mode...at least I think. My memory is fuzzy. Maybe I'll try it again. Could have been that I used the other fob (that is what it's called, right?), now that I think about it.

And you're right, I am using the dock port, so maybe that's why the volume on the iPod doesn't do anything.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:12 AM
wondermini
4th Gear

Just tried it. You're right. Must have been that I had switched keys initially (before husband and I decided which was which and stuck to it), and had a different setting on the other key.

Sorry for the mis-info.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:50 AM
Coopaw
2nd Gear
I too have the same Belkin adaptor Wondermini recommends and it works great. Also generally speaking the sound quality out of the line out of the ipod (dock adapter) will sound better than the headphone output when fed into another unit such as the Aux jack.

I tapped into the cig. lighter circuit with a radio shack cig. plug and I plugged the Belkin unit into it and hid it up under the edge of the center console so only the wire to the dock adapter come out. I plug it into the ipod and it sits in the well under the hand brake. The power comes on with the car and charges the ipod as well as having the wire come up through the back of the center console and plug into the Aux jack. All in all it works quite well.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:24 AM
wondermini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Coopaw
I tapped into the cig. lighter circuit with a radio shack cig. plug and I plugged the Belkin unit into it and hid it up under the edge of the center console so only the wire to the dock adapter come out. I plug it into the ipod and it sits in the well under the hand brake. The power comes on with the car and charges the ipod as well as having the wire come up through the back of the center console and plug into the Aux jack. All in all it works quite well.
Could you post a picture of your wire-minimizing methods? I don't quite get your description. The Belkin unit has to plug into the cigarette lighter...

I have my iPod sitting in the driver's side cup holder (fits perfectly and is in plain view, easy to use, and does not move when driving vigorously). It's obviously plugged in at the bottom to the Belkin adapter which is plugged into the cigarette lighter. Finally there's a very short (found a 6in one at Rad Shack) aux cable from the Belkin into the auxiliary jack. I've got all the cord together in a binder and it's not terrible, but not completely hidden. I'd like to attach it up under the console so it's completely out of site...haven't come up with a good plan to do this. Did you just use tape?

Here's a picture of what it looks like now from passenger seat:

From driver's seat:

From above:

Suggestions? I'm alone in the Mini 99% of the time, so using a cupholder is not a big deal to me. I like that it's so easy to see and use. Wish the cords were even less visible.

Last edited by wondermini; 08-25-2007 at 08:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
I try to stay away from Belkin products. I've had too much trouble with them.

Here is a photo of the Griffin TuneFlex AUX Flexible Charging Cradle. Bought it at the Apple Store online. It connects to the dock port on the iPod and has a small preamp. There is a switch to bypass it, if you wish.

It plugs into the cigarette lighter outlet and charges the iPod and has a cord for connecting to the AUX. You can use the same cord to bypass the Griffin and go from the headphone jack on the iPod straight to the AUX, if you wish.

The one problem with the Griffin is that the stalk is a little long, and not stiff enough for the 60 GB iPod. That is easily fixed with a little industrial Velcro on the edge of the dock and the console.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:56 AM
wondermini
4th Gear
I try to stay away from Belkin products. I've had too much trouble with them.
My husband has had the same Belkin adaptor for years without issues. So far mine is fine. Never really owned any other Belkin products...

Here is a photo of the Griffin TuneFlex AUX Flexible Charging Cradle....It plugs into the cigarette lighter outlet and charges the iPod and has a cord for connecting to the AUX. You can use the same cord to bypass the Griffin and go from the headphone jack on the iPod straight to the AUX, if you wish.

The one problem with the Griffin is that the stalk is a little long, and not stiff enough for the 60 GB iPod. That is easily fixed with a little industrial Velcro on the edge of the dock and the console.
I had seen this Griffen adapter on another thread and wasn't too keen on the idea of putting velcro on my console--but I can't even see there's velcro present in your picture...must rethink. I only have the 30GB, so maybe it would be strong enough even without velcro?

Old 08-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wondermini
I had seen this Griffen adapter on another thread and wasn't too keen on the idea of putting velcro on my console--but I can't even see there's velcro present in your picture...must rethink. I only have the 30GB, so maybe it would be strong enough even without velcro?
The only problem is that the 60 GB is heavy enough that it flops out of position with spirited cornering. If the 30 GB is lighter, it might not be an issue.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:03 AM
JohnnyZenith
1st Gear
I do all this and get no sound at all from the stereo through the AUX on my R55 2008. Nothing.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:01 AM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
be sure to try several different cables and devices before tearing into the car.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:43 AM
JohnnyZenith
1st Gear
Okay will do.