R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 WINSHEILD DING QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:33 PM
liafia
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WINSHEILD DING QUESTION

Have my first ding in the windsheild. I's very tiny...larger than a pin *****, but smaller than the head of the pin. Can it still expand???

Old 08-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Tomcatta
2nd Gear
It can but I doubt it. I worked for Novus for a time and something of that size usually doesn't change. Keep an eye on it though, it it starts to develop at all, put some scotch tape on it to prevent further moisture and get it filled.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:02 PM
liafia
3rd Gear
Thank you!

Old 08-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Reverend Heat
1st Gear
I have had the same thing happen on my first week of having the car. I wanted to cry. The rock hit so hard I thought for sure that it would crack. I just sold my Honda Element that the window was cracked for 2 years, and the car before that had a crack also...

Old 08-16-2007, 06:30 AM
Need
4th Gear
I got a bigger ding, about 1/4 cm big, on the second day after I took delivery. :( My last car got a even bigger one and had it for 5 years. Those rock trucks should be banned from the freeways.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:52 AM
pdoyle
2nd Gear
I have a LB/W R56 on order and will be switching from my current 2000 Jaguar S-Type. I considered not getting the rain-sensing windshield on the R56 due to the replacement cost if it get's cracked but ordered it anyway.

I had TERRIBLE luck with my Jag which also has rain-sensing windshield and have had to replace the windsheilds 4 #^&% TIMES over the last 7 years! Let me tell you that hurts.

Pat

Old 08-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife's R53 had 2 dings then a crack.
Got a new windshield from Safelite --- they damaged the paint around the wipers and under the chrome trim (used a screwdriver to pry it up); the windshield was also an el-cheapo that you couldn't see through when it rained.
We had to open a claim. Safelite was good about it and got another one of their shops to replace the windshield with a higher-quality unit. They also paid for a good body shop to repair the damages and put my wife into a rental car for 3 days.

Then, after a week, she got another rock and a little starburst in the same spot.
Our insurance paid for a repair the same day.

Now I have zero-deductible insurance on the glass. Upright winshields crack easily...

Old 08-16-2007, 07:28 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
Winshield replacement

a)

Old 08-16-2007, 07:33 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
Windshield replacement

a) check your insurance...some states require zero deductable on windshield replacement (FL is one)

b) check insurance 2: on my policy windshield is covered on comprehensive...changing that from $200 deduct' to zero deduct cost me $30 a year for 3 vehicles...... Wish I'd found that 3 windshields earlier (when I didn't live in FL).

all policies and providers are different but it doesn't hurt to ask

I've gotten probable a dozen windshields from SAFELITE over the years (they handle USAA insurance claims) ... including 2 on my 02-S. I never had a complaint or a leak......of course every site has a different owner....

WRT your 'chip'; again all carriers are different but USAA will send SAFELITE to you to 'repair' for free, despite deductable. They shoot a little epoxy in to seal the crack/chip from water intrusion.... I've had those fixes last for years...

Last edited by Capt_bj; 08-16-2007 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:56 AM
sajpogi
1st Gear
Have it repaired

You can have it repaired!
I had mine repaired. I got a small ding. It turned to 4 inch crack, then I had it repaired. It stopped growing.
They will seal it and put some resin to it. As if nothing happend. It will look like just a water mark. You can even claim it from your insurance.
Search the yellowpages.com to see who repairs in your area. Or call safelite or go to safelite.com Its around $50.