R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Light Paint Scrathes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Blazermaniac
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Light Paint Scrathes.

Help. I noticed this morning that I have three lighter approximately three-inch scratches on the bonnet of my Chilli Red Mini in approximately the same area. I am assuming that I just treat that area without having to do the entire hood? Also, I do not have an electric buffer. What is the best way to go about treating such scratches without a buffer?

Old 08-14-2007, 09:22 PM
mufflethis
4th Gear
Depends on how deep the scratches are. If they're not deep you might want to try Prima Amigo to get them out. You can get it from http://detailersparadise.com/ but without pics I can't really tell. You might also post this in the detailing forum, there's a lot of knowledgeable people there. Amigo will work if they're really light scratches anything more and you need a slightly more harsh polish.

Last edited by mufflethis; 08-14-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:20 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amigo will probably hide them if they are not too deep. I would first use a product like Scratch-X or Prima Swirl (also from Detailers Paradise). Use these polishes on a stiff foam pad or a thin microfiber pad. To treat the scratches you will need to apply a small amount of product to the pad and then rub the area considerably. When the product becomes clear, stop working it and wipe off. Inspect the scratch and decide if it needs another go. You may need to repeat this process four or five times.
Both the products use a diminishing abrasive which is very safe and actually breaks down as you work them. Once you reach the point where you are satisfied with the appearance (or just too damn tired to keep going) then I would switch to Amigo which will help hide any remaining flaws by filling in and masking the problems. Top that all off with a good quality synthetic wax like Prima Epic and you're good to go.
Come join us in the Detailing Forum for some really great information and discussion around taking care of your MINI's paint and finish.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Blazermaniac
1st Gear
Thank you

Thanks for all the helpful information! Sounds like the way to go.