R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Wish I had/hadn't gotten...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:09 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wish I had/hadn't gotten...

In reading some of the posts questioning what to order or omit, I wonder what people would have changed if they had it to do again. So, imagine your beloved MINI just got totaled and you have to order a new one. What would you change? What would you add? What would you omit this time around? What are you delighted with and not change at all? How many of you would get the exact same car you ordered?

Here’s my take.:

Things I would do again:

Nav system. Even though it’s so expensive and you can get a good portable for about a third the price, it uses the giant speedometer space to much better advantage, it works well, and just looks cool. The iPod adapter too. Way too expensive, but works great with the nav screen.

Leatherette seating. They’re comfortable, easy to take care of, and they look as good as most of the more expensive options. I might have gotten the Redwood lounge leather if the US had the same design as the Euro ones. But apparently there’s some regulation that prohibits the folds (tuck-and-roll) from being on the seating surface (something to do with weight sensors or some foolishness), so they moved the folds to the leading edge of seat, and it kills the look.

Color. I got AB/AB. I really like it, but it’s not really black, and it’s $450 extra. I might consider going for PW next time, and spend the $450 on some custom paint work/graphics. Definitely not disappointed in the AB though.

Premium package would stay. Gotta have that sunroof.

LSD. Not only is it cheaper to get with the car, it really is a must have, especially if you live where it snows in the winter. It’s not just for racers or use on the track. It really should be standard on all cars.

Xenon HIDs. Maybe Mini’s aren’t the best, but definitely an improvement of the standard lights.

10 speaker HiFi upgrade. Gotta have good sound, and the upgrade is about the easiest way to improve it.

Heated seats. Nice to have if you live up north. I’d stick with the whole winter package since it’s only $30 more than the seats alone.

Piano Black Dash. Not that I really want it, but what you get standard is just too UGLY to live with.

Things I’d skip this time:

Sport Package. I want the Xenons, but if I have LSD, I could forgo the DSC, and there’s plenty of less expensive options for wheels in aftermarket. And I’m not crazy about bonnet stripes.

Comfort Access. A novel idea, but for $500 I can just reach in my pocket for the key. I didn't get the rest of the convenience package and am glad I didn't (it seems the Bluetooth implementation needs some work)

What I skipped that I would get next time:

Rear fog lights. If they were dealer installed, maybe I’d wait but as a factory option, I should have just picked ‘em up with the car when I had the chance.

Driving lights. Since there not installed at the factory, they really don’t count. I’m still going to get them, but probably not MINI’s version.

So in the end, I’m really pretty happy with the choices I made. Other than not getting the rear fogs (not a big deal), and wasting extra $$$ on Mini wheels (I even blew the extra $500 for web spokes inadvertantly), I ended up with what I wanted.

What I still want:

The driving lights are on the list. I’ll probably spring for the Stage I kit, and do something with the suspension (not sure if it’ll be the JCW kit, or just a beefy rear sway bar). I also plan to adapt an MC grille to the MCS and replace the side markers a gas cap with MC versions. The runflats gotta go too.

Did I miss anything?

Old 08-24-2007, 09:14 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Same color. Unless one of the axis of evil nations bombed the paint factory that supplies Chili red to MINI, I would get the Chili red again. If it was bombed, however, I would have to wait until the red paint factory was re-built. However, if the axis of evil keeps bombing the factory before it gets completed, I would have to go with............pure silver/black roof.

Options?........I would order a stripper again. And again. And again....and again.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:14 PM
soul embrace
6th Gear
the only thing i wish i ordered was the rear fog lights, i didn't think about them to it was too late to add them.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jascooper
Things I would do again:

Nav system. Even though it’s so expensive and you can get a good portable for about a third the price, it uses the giant speedometer space to much better advantage, it works well, and just looks cool.
+1 I also like the integration of other features into the NAV screen.

Leatherette seating.
I got cloth and would get red lounge leather this time.

Color.
Probably stick with Pure Silver, but might be tempted by other colors.

Premium package would stay. Gotta have that sunroof.
-1 Don't have a sunroof, don't want one.

LSD.
+1 Have it, would get it again.

Xenon HIDs.
-1 Wouldn't get them this time. High beams are great, but I hate the low beams.

10 speaker HiFi upgrade. Gotta have good sound, and the upgrade is about the easiest way to improve it.
+1 Have it an am in the process of upgrading speakers. That would be more difficult without it.

Heated seats. Nice to have if you live up north. I’d stick with the whole winter package since it’s only $30 more than the seats alone.
+1 I like the heated seats -- even for California.

Piano Black Dash. Not that I really want it, but what you get standard is just too UGLY to live with.
I might go for English Oak this time. Need to get a really good look at it first.

Things I’d skip this time:

Sport Package. I want the Xenons, but if I have LSD, I could forgo the DSC, and there’s plenty of less expensive options for wheels in aftermarket. And I’m not crazy about bonnet stripes.
LSD and DSC are nothing alike. LSD is for getting power to the ground. DSC is for maintaining control when the car starts to slide. You want DSC. You are feeling sleepy. You want DSC. You want DSC...

I would probably not get 17" wheels. Nor would I get Xenons. I would get DSC. I would get DSC...

Comfort Access. A novel idea, but for $500 I can just reach in my pocket for the key. I didn't get the rest of the convenience package and am glad I didn't (it seems the Bluetooth implementation needs some work)
I would get Comfort Access again. I really like it.

I would get Bluetooth again, but not the arm rest. If they wouldn't do Bluetooth without the arm rest, I might not get Bluetooth.

I would not get the garage door opener. The button is too far from my seating position, and it is difficult to program for rolling code doors.

I like the auto dimming rearview mirror, but it isn't a big deal.

Haven't tried the rain sensors. Hasn't rained.
Rear fog lights.
Got them, would get them again.

Driving lights. Since there not installed at the factory, they really don’t count. I’m still going to get them, but probably not MINI’s version.
I can't see the point if you have Xenons. The high beams are brighter than a summer day in New Mexico. If I didn't get Xenons, I might get driving lights.

I would get again:

MFSW -- The cruise control and radio controls on the steering wheel are good to have.

Park Distance Control -- visibility out the back is not that great with the high waist, and PDC lets you maneuver in very tight spaces with confidence.

Automatic AC -- not sure, but probably.

Boot Box -- provides moveable dividers that work well for grocery bags, flat-tire pump, etc.

Mudflaps -- gotta flap that mud. It's the thing to do.

I'd like to get the iPod Integration. Waiting for a convenient time after I'm sure the dealer has had lots of experience installing them.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:50 AM
liafia
3rd Gear
So far I like the Xenons. I drive late at night in the rain regularly, and I can see better. I also drive in an area in which pedestrians wearing only black, at night, cross the street anywhere, any time without warning, and without looking. It would be nice to have rear parking control. I would get automatic air next time...not all that fond of the controls. Might get S/S. I love the lounge leather...easy to clean, and feel great. Wouldn't mind the brushed metal instead of piano black...but I have the cream line, not sure how it would have gone together. I do wish the MINI had power seats, but " Oh well!" I do enjoy the sun roof...it gives me a feeling of freedom. Oh, and I might like "more power".

Old 08-25-2007, 07:37 AM
chili_red07
5th Gear
Things I'd do again:
All three of the packages I did (premium, cold weather, sport)
Rooster red/ cloth seats (nice sporty look)
Rear fogs (they came on the car, but I like the looks)
CHILI RED!!!

Things I wouldn't do again:
Nothing I got! Well, I would get CR/ B instead of CR/ W (but I like both alot)

Things I want:
I picked my car off the lot, so the next time around I would spec one out.
LSD
Sport Suspension
HiFi Audio
I would have gotten CR/ B with stripes
Web Spokes
Piano Black interior surface
Anthracite headliner
Driving lights (which I could still do)
Clear Bra (I guess I could still do this too)
JCW Aero kit (again, still could do)

And I'm definitly going for the Stage 1 JCW kit

If I got everything I wanted, I would own a $45k MINI, so I have to draw the line somewhere.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:38 AM
unixgal
Twisty Road Lover
Things I have that I would definitely do again:
  • NAV
  • iPod interface
  • DSC
  • Premium Package, so far I love having the sunroof, but it hasn't rained to know if there is any issue with it on that count.
  • Auto Lights/wipers. Love having the lights, but haven't tried the wipers since it hasn't rained.
  • Leather seats
  • Rear Fogs (I drive frequently where there is actually fog so it wasn't a "vanity" option for me)
I wish I had got:
  • HiFi
  • HiFi
  • HiFi... I'm already getting estimates on how to make it tolerable for a drive longer than my commute, its not going to be cheap.
  • Anthracite headliner.
  • Pacific Blue colorline, which I had on my online config, but when retrieving it, it went away and I didn't notice until it was too late.
  • Possibly LSD.
  • Did I mention HiFi?
Maybe might have added the Xenons, but I haven't really driven in the dark or seen Xenons in action to know the difference.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Blue Skies 05
4th Gear
Definite agains:

OXYGEN BLUE with WHITE
Automatic
Carbon Black Cloth Sport Seats
Premium Package
Cold Weather Package
English Oak
Cream Color Line

Would have been nice:

Rear fog lights
White signals

Old 08-25-2007, 09:39 AM
BludyL
3rd Gear
I would do everything exactly the same but I would order Rear Fog lights. Only because I'm very very OCD and I HATE having a blank spot on my console for where the Rear Fog Light switch would go.

So my switch panel looks like:

[Left Window] [Front Fog Light] [Door Lock] [BLANK] [Right Window]

That blank spot in the icon area and the absence of a switch drives me CRAZY. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8&ppuser=34588

Since I'm ranting already, I just wanted to say that the two blank black buttons also drove me mad, but I have since gone to an arts and crafts store and found little stickers to put on them so that they are not faceless. Before they had personality, they reminded me of the black hollowed eyes of creepy zombie children that would murder a terrified town's population in the fog of night. Another reason to have rear fog lights...

The center button above my stickshift (between Sport and DSC) now has two little cocktail olives. It is my "Where's My Martini?" Button. When I'm stuck in traffic, I press that button and imagine a friendly flight-attendant arriving next to my car, carrying a tray, rapping gently on the window and pleasantly saying "Here's your extra dry gin martini, sir. Will there be anything else?"

And the first button under the Auto-AC contraption now has a Chicken on it. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...7&ppuser=34588 It's my Chicken button. Pressing it must be accompanied by a rapid "Bawk!" noise emitted from the driver's side of the car. In true Mini style, pressing and holding it will cause "Bawk!" to be repeated three times in a row. I've heard that the dealer can change that setting from three "Bawks!" to five "Bawks!" for $120.

Last edited by BludyL; 08-25-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:44 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by soul embrace
the only thing i wish i ordered was the rear fog lights, i didn't think about them to it was too late to add them.
Me too! That's the only change for me...

Old 08-25-2007, 02:25 PM
kachow
1st Gear
If I have to do it again, would definitely get:
Navigation
heated seats
leatherette seats
gray gotham interior
I have the nav and leather heated seats in my van and regretted not getting it for the MINI.
leatherette- it feels like real leather (I opted for the cloth w/c are fine but with kids I wish it was the other way around, spills and all)
gray interior- I have the black interior and it is gorgeous but high maintenance, shows all the scuff marks
Overall, I am pretty happy with my glorified gokart (:

Old 08-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Hogtied
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately, I can't change the one thing I wish I could have added - LSD.

It's not available with the automatic; I wish it was.

Other than that, I'm 100% satisfied with the car as is.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:06 PM
kevinminict
4th Gear
I would of chosen Laser Blue with a Black roof. But Mellow Yellow is still a GREAT color!

Old 08-25-2007, 03:27 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
Seems like rear fogs are one of the most overlooked options. Who'd a thunk it. The people that got 'em would get them again. And those that didn't really regret not having added them when they had the chance.

Mini ought to offer to retrofit them. They'd lose money, but make a lot of people happy.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:47 PM
chxpla2
2nd Gear
I almost didn't get the rear fogs, but my MA pointed out that I would be missing a toggle and that would have driven me crazy as well, i'm glad he pointed it out. And I woud change nothing about the car, I even ordered the armrest and was worried I'd hate it because of posts here, but it fits me perfectly and does not slide, so it worked out.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:03 PM
SweetPepper
2nd Gear
This is a very good thread!! I will definintely get the rear fogs now!

Old 08-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Blue Skies 05
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BludyL
Since I'm ranting already, I just wanted to say that the two blank black buttons also drove me mad, but I have since gone to a craft store and found little stickers to put on them so that they are not faceless. Before they had personality, they reminded me of the black hollowed eyes of creepy zombie children that would murder a terrified town's population in the fog of night. Another reason to have rear fog lights...

The center button above my stickshift (between Sport and DSC) now has two little cocktail olives. It is my "Where's My Martini?" Button. When I'm stuck in traffic, I press that button and image a friendly flight-attendant arriving next to my car, carrying a tray, rapping gently on the window and pleasantly saying "Here's your extra dry gin martini, sir. Will there be anything else?"

And the first button under the Auto-AC contraption now has a Chicken on it. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...7&ppuser=34588 It's my Chicken button. Pressing it must be accompanied by a rapid "Bawk!" noise emitted from the driver's side of the car. In true Mini style, pressing and holding it will cause "Bawk!" to be repeated three times in a row. I've heard that the dealer can change that setting from three "Bawks!" to five "Bawks!" for $120.
PLEASE post pics of those buttons. That is incredibly brilliant. What a fun touch

Old 08-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Chris Grande
1st Gear
Front and Rear Fog Lights. I completely missed them somehow... at least the missing toggles are balanced.

Love the Martini and chicken buttons. I'm guessing the Martini button is normally where DSC on/off would go... but what is the Chicken button for normally?

Last edited by Chris Grande; 08-28-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:28 PM
liafia
3rd Gear
Wish I hadn't gotten all the way to the dealer today, for my appointment to have my rear light replaced, only to find out that they didn't have any.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:35 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As this is my second MINI, I decided to splurge and get the things I didn't necessarily want on my first MINI but, over time, simply thought might be cool. So, needless to say, this MINI is about as dialed in as I can imagine. I think it does help going through the whole ordering process a second time...and spending lots of time on NAM, hearing pros and cons of various option, helps.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Spectral Glider
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by soul embrace
Same here. I made two versions of my MINI build and on the second one I forgot the rear fogs. By the time I noticed, it was too late. Now, especially since I got the aero kit, I wish I had them. Oh well. Otherwise, after just 4 days of ownership, there's not much else I'm wishing for. At lest not yet anyway. We'll see as time goes on.

Last edited by Spectral Glider; 08-28-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:40 PM
korby
6th Gear
I wish I had Black rims instead of silver crown spoke . I think it makes all the black trim look like it belongs rather than a cheap after thought .

Old 08-28-2007, 07:23 PM
dirkinoff
2nd Gear
The wish I had are
* L.S.D. This is a have to have!
* Front and rear fogs

The have but could do withouts
* Sunroof
* Hi-Fi, I personally think it sounds like a entry level stereo and not a 500.00 upgrade
* Runflat tires, Handle awful when pushed very hard.
* The last thing is not an option but Why do I have to push the sport button every time I start the car?? In fact why is there a sport button in a "S" car??

P.S. I love my car!

Old 08-29-2007, 12:46 AM
medilloni
2nd Gear
Things I DID change (1st car thrown back):

Had..
LB/W with white wheels
Sunroof
Cruise control
Punch Carbon Leather

Got sick of trying to clean white wheels, and the car didn't look 'Eeeeveel Meester Bond' enough. So, nice pretty car, but learnt a lesson. Now have:

DS/W with R99's in Anthracite - Looks understated but class (to me!)
No sunroof - MUCH quieter inside without.
Cruise control ditched - when I'm that knackeded to need to use it, I figure I should stop
Leather replaced with standard seats (black/rooster red), leather doesn't grip 'yer bum.

Added:
LSD - fantastic, transforms the car.
JCW gear **** - makes a massive difference, a natural shape and brings the action closer.
JCW half leather/suede wheel - feels great.
JCW front brakes - MILES better when stopping in very wet weather, and more feel/less fade.
Hi Fi upgrade - not brilliant, but a huge improvement.
JCW front spoiler and side skirts - left the std one on the back, I think the JCW rear spoiler is too Tonka Toy (no offence to those that have, just a personal taste thang).

It's EXACTLY what I want now - apart from a a chip and cat upgrade when it's broken in properly.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:51 AM
qwiksilvr
3rd Gear
Would have gotten the parking-distance thingy and electric wing-mirrors. Glad I did not get Night-Fire Red! I chose Pure Silver and Black for my "Dexter" and like my brother said it's really me.

Quick Reply: R56 Wish I had/hadn't gotten...