R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Front Mask or Bra

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Sundevil
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Mask or Bra

Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendation of a good front mask or bra for a Mini Coop S? I do not prefer the clear bra since it is a clear coat over a nice paint job.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Tharkun
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sundevil
Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendation of a good front mask or bra for a Mini Coop S? I do not prefer the clear bra since it is a clear coat over a nice paint job.
Think you will find that most use the plastic protection film so finding a good recomendation may be diffacult. The fabric/leather bra's that are available for the Mini's do not look really great, and bra's can cause more damage than protection if not removed and cleaned regularly.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:16 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ha ...

I'm very pleased with my Colgan bra. It does exactly what I bought it for - protecting my paint on road trips. Best part is I can take it off when I'm done and hose the bugs off and put it back in its bag. It has never left so much as a mark on my paint (and I would know, believe me).

Old 08-29-2007, 09:29 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
meh, i dont like idea of covering up something in order to protect it to the point where you cant even see the thing you are protecting...(fabric/leather bras). i guess its nice that you can take it off, but for me, i would either go for a clear bra or no bra.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:48 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
I really don't like the lines that a clear bra creates and I really don't like the chips that the massive grasshoppers create. So the Colgan bra was my solution. Slip it on, drive there and take it off. Problem solved.
Some don't like the look and that's cool, but I'm so OCD that the chips killed me and the visible clear bra lines made me gag.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:42 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMaybee
...the visible clear bra lines made me gag.
I only see one visible line with my clearbra... and only when the car is particularly dusty or dirty. It's the way to go for a number of reasons.

Fabric bras will get crap under them and will eventually scuff the hell out of the very thing your trying to protect. It's better to go with nothing and spend $350-500 every four of five years re-spraying the hood and front bumper cover then go with a fabric bra. They're garbage.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:56 AM
Sundevil
2nd Gear
Thanks everyone for your responses! I'm leaning towards on buying a Colgan Bra, but could not find one that fits an 2007 MCS.

It is a must to protect the front end of the car when you drive in a city like Sacramento. The freeways here (Hwy 5, Hwy 50 and Hwy 80) are so congested with trucks and 18 wheelers that often I'll here or see a very small pebble hitting my car.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:48 AM
andyde
5th Gear
I have one for sale if interested.....

Old 08-30-2007, 08:18 AM
aem421
4th Gear
I think the one MiniMaybee uses is great if you just use it for trips and such, but, if you intend to leave it on all the time, forget it. It will most definitely rub the paint off over time. That's been proven many times over I'm sure.

The only line you're going to see from the clear bra is on the bonnet. If you don't want to see the line, get them to install it on the entire bonnet. No lines then.

I'm getting the clear bra installed before I pick my car up, hopefully tomorrow. I'll take some really good pics so you can be the judge. Might help you make a better decision.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:09 PM
Chris56S
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by aem421
I'm getting the clear bra installed before I pick my car up, hopefully tomorrow. I'll take some really good pics so you can be the judge. Might help you make a better decision.
Yes, please post a pic or two, if you have time. I'm going to have a clear bra installed on my DS/B when it arrives, and I've been wondering how noticeable the line is w/ that color.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:23 PM
andyde
5th Gear
That's the route that I ultimately went with.... I had purchased the bra for long trips only. My nose mask is for sale if anyone is interested.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:55 PM
kris.sherry
2nd Gear
another question to throw into the works. What is the difference between a clearbra and the invisishield that MINI offers (I think $240 for both lower and upper front). Is the invisishield worth the money to get it done?

Old 08-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Tharkun
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chris56S
Yes, please post a pic or two, if you have time. I'm going to have a clear bra installed on my DS/B when it arrives, and I've been wondering how noticeable the line is w/ that color.
First pic is taken in the garage under fluorescent lighting, the clear bra covers to about one inch above the scoop.

Clear bar coverage is the hood, front bumper area, and both fog/head lights, also the
windscreen has a film protection to protect against rock damage.

Hope the pics help some.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:36 PM
smackboy1
3rd Gear
Another option for those who like the idea of a clear bra but don't like the line is full coverage. A really good installer can do a custom job covering the entire hood, front and fenders. They take out all the lights and wrap the film inside so basically there are almost no lines to be seen. This also avoids the problem of rocks hitting above the bra. The downside is that it can get pretty pricey.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Chris56S
2nd Gear
Tharkun, thanks. Every time you post pics of SKEETER, I just have to say it...

Dang, that's a sharp MINI.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Tharkun
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chris56S
Tharkun, thanks. Every time you post pics of SKEETER, I just have to say it...
Dang, that's a sharp MINI.

Thanks I'm happy with with Skeeter, but still just a stock Mini. Have seen about 5 or so Mini's here in town, but he is the only blu boy around.Going to order the chrome hood scoop for him, think it will go well with the Lght Blu.

Last edited by Tharkun; 08-30-2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Sundevil
2nd Gear
Tharkun, thanks for the close-up pics and Skeeter is a great looking MCS!

Old 08-30-2007, 08:35 PM
BigSky
6th Gear
Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendation of a good front mask or bra...
If it was up to me I'd go for a vibrant, colorful, exotic mask ...bra-less.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Tharkun
6th Gear
Tharkun, thanks for the close-up pics and Skeeter is a great looking MCS!
Thanks and hope you find front end protection, can relate to your area. Here we have the Altamont and it would take less than six months before Skeeter would need a major repainting.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:29 AM
kris.sherry
2nd Gear
What do you guys think of adding an extra $300 for the full hood coverage of a clearbra? The price I was quoted was $595...so that would bring it to about $900 for a full front coverage. Worth it?!

Old 10-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Hogtied
4th Gear
I had a Speed Lingerie ( http://www.speedlingerie.com/ ) bra on my 2000 Corvette.. that was before I heard about clear bras. It was expensive for a bra, but it was speed tested to 150mph w/o flapping. I don't know if they make one for a Mini, but you might ask.

Since then I've become a strong advocate of clear bras.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:22 AM
johne123
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
problems with thick vinyl bra

These were designed to put on for a long road trip and them remove. However most people have them installed and then never take them off. Every time it rains and you then leave the car to sit in the sun, the water trapped in that bra will be practically boiled out of the black vinyl. Second, like others mentioned if they're not installed tightly they will flap in the wind against your paint. Where it will likely flap you probably won't be able to see while driving. Third, I personally think they look tacky, kinda like cell phone condoms, I mean cases.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:19 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by kris.sherry
What do you guys think of adding an extra $300 for the full hood coverage of a clearbra? The price I was quoted was $595...so that would bring it to about $900 for a full front coverage. Worth it?!
Yes, it would be worth it, just make sure it with a lifetime warranty. Most clear bra's purchased through the dealership only come with a 5 year warranty.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:22 PM
trackster
5th Gear
Originally Posted by johne123
These were designed to put on for a long road trip and them remove. However most people have them installed and then never take them off. Every time it rains and you then leave the car to sit in the sun, the water trapped in that bra will be practically boiled out of the black vinyl. Second, like others mentioned if they're not installed tightly they will flap in the wind against your paint. Where it will likely flap you probably won't be able to see while driving. Third, I personally think they look tacky, kinda like cell phone condoms, I mean cases.
I have seen more damage from improperly made or installed bras that you could imaging. The clear bra is a much better way to go as long sa it is a good install. Shop around and look for for recomendations from other owners.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:29 PM
itburns
2nd Gear
My opinion is go with the Colgan, I think it looks good for trips and occasional use it does the job. If you leave it on in the rain and until it is flapping around you have bigger problems that what bra to use!

Clear bras are like having your sofa and lamps covered with plastic and plastic runners on your carpet in your house!

Quick Reply: R56 Front Mask or Bra