R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Turned OFF the sports button

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 11:19 AM
SEAL6
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrxdriver
Im with you. Although I dont keep the sport button off for fuel economy, I do it for the dr. jekyl and mr. hyde feeling. I love to be able to turn it on and to really get things into gear. I just cant seem to find where the resevoir of adrenaline is held at? How often do i need to refill it?

I just dont want to acclimate myself to the sport feeling, i want it to be just as exciting as it was the first time i pressed it. Just like if you always drank a 50 yr old scotch (mmm now i want a glass) it wouldnt be as good as the first time or if you periodically drank it. Then when you drank a lesser scotch it just isnt as enjoyable. I guess you get the point that im trying to make.

(I love scotch...scotchy scotch scotch..here it goes, down to my belly)
+3
I'm all over that too. I just don't want to ruin a good thing you know
Sport Button should only be hit for that momment you need some action or excitement in your life. It's like enabling "Ludicrous Speed!"
Even though I'm not a scotch fan...(Vodka myself).

Old 08-31-2007, 12:20 PM
khor01
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MPG gains w/ sport button off?

Do these gains apply to automatics only, or with Manual transmissions as well? Thanks.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Arnbut
5th Gear
The mpg difference is HUGE with the automatics; not so much with the manuals.
I've owned both already...
I always had the sport button engaged in my MT car; I preferred the feel of the steering and the zippier throttle. My fuel economy offset was negligable.
In the AT car, the fun factor is enhanced with the sport button but I lose 5 mpg (give or take).
I just did the math; that's only $277.00 a year in commuting money. Hmmmm. That's not all that much for all that fun. Hmmmm. I sure do like that sport button... :impatient

Old 08-31-2007, 12:52 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Arnbut
I drive via 23 miles of twisties each way for my daily commute.
25.5 mpg with SB engaged, 29.5 mpg with it off. I also figure that by delaying the gratification I make those load-blowing SB excursions that much more special.

BTW, try Clan McGreggor for your daily Scotch. It's a passable blend that doesn't destroy your palate; smooth and unobtrusive with a pleasant dry finish.
Then go for the Macallan 25 on special days....
Arnbut, is your MCS and automatic?

edit: nevermind, you answered in your most recent post

Old 08-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Arnbut
The mpg difference is HUGE with the automatics; not so much with the manuals. I've owned both already...
You've owned BOTH auto and MT R56 cars?

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net

Old 08-31-2007, 01:02 PM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mach V Dan
You've owned BOTH auto and MT R56 cars?

--Dan
Mach V
FastMINI.net
The MT broke. 3,000 miles.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:14 PM
Bababooey
1st Gear
The SB is my Mr. Hyde mode. I find that a lot of people wants to race a Mini, I turn the SB on when people needs to get put in their place. It's also off becuase I'm in both morning rush hour traffic and afternoon rush hour traffic.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:53 PM
Pam
3rd Gear
Arnbut - are you happy with your decision to get auto after having manual? I have auto and I always wonder if I made the right choice. My thinking at the time was that manual would be fun in the beginning but I would get tired of shifting in traffic which we have plenty of in Orlando. It's such a sporty car - I feel like I should be shifting....but then again, I drive this car more aggressively than any other car I've ever had so maybe manual would get me into trouble.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:56 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
I almost stalled it today at a stop light because I forgot that I had turned it off on the freeway. It is frustrating to have the button for me and Corona. I wish it was on all the time and that the button was not there to begin with.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:11 PM
ucbrother
4th Gear
I commute 70 miles round trip every day to work. About 55 to 60 of that is straight highway. I leave the sport mode off during that stretch each way. At the beginning and end of each leg, I turn it on as I have a couple of pretty nice curves to zoom through and some stop and go sections where I can take off and then watch the surprised faces at the next stop light.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
I tried the sport button once. Dunt(tm) really care for it.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:06 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Pam
Arnbut - are you happy with your decision to get auto after having manual? I have auto and I always wonder if I made the right choice. My thinking at the time was that manual would be fun in the beginning but I would get tired of shifting in traffic which we have plenty of in Orlando. It's such a sporty car - I feel like I should be shifting....but then again, I drive this car more aggressively than any other car I've ever had so maybe manual would get me into trouble.
Every now and then I miss it, but not often.
I have really long legs and this car is a hassle to clutch for me; I kept hitting my knee on the steering wheel and my big feet wanted to hit the clutch/brake or brake/gas at the same time.
When I want to drive like a ****, there's those slick paddle shifts.
Orlando traffic, Atlanta traffic, Miami traffic, NY/NJ traffic ---- I've lived in them all with manual transmissions.
Some cars don't have a good AT alternative. Thankfully BMW/Mini is not a company that punishes the AT market.