R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Paint Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A picture would be nice?

Old 09-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Rastven
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Permacoat is a wax like application designed to add extra paint protection
Clear coat is sprayed on after the colour is sprayed on at the factory to help preserve your paint. It's standard on almost every car made by every manufacturer.

I wouldn't get the dealer option, I'd rather wax the car myself.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:10 AM
pastabatman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kris.sherry
Is Clear Coat the same as the Perma-Coat? Still confused. I am thinking of having the dealer put on the perma-coat (which is not on the configurator). Anybody know if these are the same? or if the perma-coat is worth the extra money?
clear coat makes your paint look better and protects it. It's not an option - all cars have it, AFAIK. perma-coat is probably just another flavor of dealer profit enhancer (each dealer seems to have their own brand). If that stuff was as good as they say it is, I'm sure it would be included as part of the original factory finish, or sold in stores.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:36 AM
kris.sherry
2nd Gear
Damn. So I was mistaken when I ordered the car then. I had them add the lojack and the permacoat. The car was ordered on monday...is it too late to call and say cancel the perma-coat? And from the information you have given me the perma-coat is merely a wax job for wayyy too much money. I wonder if Brecht in Escondido will help me out. I doubt they will reduce the price, but maybe I can add something else. Then again...probably not.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Rastven
4th Gear
If the option is dealer installed you could probably remove it.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:13 AM
mystfynyou
3rd Gear
Ok so the dealer said that it IS covered by warranty. They are going to send it to a local body shop on the 20th. The service manager wasn't sure what they would do to it, as he had never seen the problem before (my mini was the talk of the day haha) So I plan on taking it by the place and asking them what they think they will do. I'm sure it will be a repaint, any thoughts?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:15 AM
mystfynyou
3rd Gear
Ps. I'm working on the pictures. I just have to wait until about dusk, they just do not show up in any sunlight and I don't have any shade So hopefully tonight i will have some.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:45 PM
mystfynyou
3rd Gear
Okay here are some pictures:

Old 09-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Rastven
4th Gear
Very obvious. Get that girl to a very good body shop pronto. I'd also expect the dealer to provide a loaner cos you don't want them doing this quick and dirty.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:28 PM
mystfynyou
3rd Gear
I'm dropping off the car on the 20th and they are providing a loaner. What are your thoughts on a repaint? My bf seems to think that it is awful.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Rastven
4th Gear
It's not awful. It's not something you would ever have to disclose to another buyer because it's not damaged.

The only thing I would want is check the shop's work before the car is started. I'd also want to make sure that they cure the paint slowly to avoid making it too brittle and prone to stone chips.
Getting a clear bra might be a good idea now too but the paint needs time to breath after it's done so you can't have it put on right after.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:44 PM
mystfynyou
3rd Gear
I do want a clear bra, I have just been waiting to do it because of the spots. I had a civic before and the hood and bumper were destroyed by chips it was also white though. How long should I wait after the paint is done? I am also going to ask the dealer to extend the paint warranty on that area if a repaint has to be done.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:57 PM
ncarolyn
1st Gear
A dealer applied perma-coat goes on OVER the factory sprayed clear coat. I told my dealer I did not want that done to my car. Mostly because I was afraid of them screwing it up. But my dealer normally sprays on the perma-coat and installs a lojack on all the cars they sell.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:04 PM
ncarolyn
1st Gear
OOPS! my previous post was done before I realized I was reading page one of two pages!
Originally Posted by kris.sherry
Damn. So I was mistaken when I ordered the car then. I had them add the lojack and the permacoat. The car was ordered on monday...is it too late to call and say cancel the perma-coat? And from the information you have given me the perma-coat is merely a wax job for wayyy too much money. I wonder if Brecht in Escondido will help me out. I doubt they will reduce the price, but maybe I can add something else. Then again...probably not.
Anyway, I'm getting my mini thru Brecht, also. I had to argue a bit to get the perma-coat and lojack left off. There's a lot of profit in both, But I should think you could change your order as it's something done by the dealer and not the factory. The perma-coat is NOT a wax. It's supposed to be a permanent protection for the paint. But that means if they spray over any dirt or do a poor job of it, fixing it would be a big problem.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Tharkun
6th Gear
Just a suggestion on the Lojack system, price the system from some where other than the dealer, make sure you live/commute in an area that is covered and last be sure it is clear what hidden fees if any from Lojack.
I had a Lojack system installed in a 2004 Mustang GT when purchsed new. Cost was like $600......begining the third year Lojack sends a letter stating I need to invest $75 for what they call " anual check up/maintenance" and this was required each year. If not preformed they do not gurantee the system to function.
So as usual "buyer beware" is good advice here.