R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Another Comfort Access Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007 | 06:23 PM
rockridge
|
6th Gear
Another Comfort Access Question

I was playing with the comfort access system today, and I can easily lock and unlock the drivers door with no problem (via the button on the door handle). But how can I unlock the passenger door from the drivers side?

Old 09-08-2007 | 06:33 PM
T-Horn67
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rockridge
I was playing with the comfort access system today, and I can easily lock and unlock the drivers door with no problem (via the button on the door handle). But how can I unlock the passenger door from the drivers side?
You've got to program it thru the on-board computer. You can only have it one way or the other....unlock the driver's door only OR unlock both doors. That is, if I remember this correctly from when I set it up.

Old 09-08-2007 | 11:35 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by T-Horn67
You've got to program it thru the on-board computer. You can only have it one way or the other....unlock the driver's door only OR unlock both doors. That is, if I remember this correctly from when I set it up.
Yes, that is correct. And when you do that, you can also unlock the driver's door from the passenger side.

Old 09-09-2007 | 06:06 AM
emtrey
5th Gear
that option also allows single pull to open doors from inside BUT precludes locking on drive away. Mine is set that way--the dbl pull drove me nuts.

Last edited by emtrey; 09-09-2007 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-09-2007 | 07:51 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by emtrey
that option also allows single pull to open doors from inside BUT precludes locing on drive away. Mine is set that way--the dbl pull drove me nuts.
I have mine set that way, too. I got used to the double pull, but I've had passengers almost yank the handle off trying to get out, oblivious to the fact a single pull wouldn't handle it.

Old 09-09-2007 | 10:23 PM
porkchop
2nd Gear
Something I learned today: If you're standing on the drivers side with the UFO key in your pocket and unlock your door via the handle button, your passenger (without a key) can also press their door handle button to get in.
This of course requires either a quick explanation or a frequent passenger...

Old 09-09-2007 | 10:35 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by porkchop
Something I learned today: If you're standing on the drivers side with the UFO key in your pocket and unlock your door via the handle button, your passenger (without a key) can also press their door handle button to get in.
I've done that without explanation a few times. Just told my passenger to push the black button and let themselves in before I've unlocked the other side. When they hear the door unlock, they have gotten a questioning look on their face before I explain it.

Old 09-10-2007 | 08:54 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by emtrey
that option also allows single pull to open doors from inside BUT precludes locking on drive away. Mine is set that way--the dbl pull drove me nuts.
Not in mine! You sure? I have the option set for ALL doors to unlock. I still need the dbl pull to unlock from inside. It's doesn't bother me though. But you should double check this.

Old 09-10-2007 | 10:04 AM
SEAL6
4th Gear
This works for me some of the time but not all of the time.
I've had to manually open the door for my passenger when they weren't able to open the door by pressing on the black button.
Originally Posted by Sowellman
I've done that without explanation a few times. Just told my passenger to push the black button and let themselves in before I've unlocked the other side. When they hear the door unlock, they have gotten a questioning look on their face before I explain it.

Old 09-10-2007 | 12:10 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Birdman
I have the option set for ALL doors to unlock. I still need the dbl pull to unlock from inside. It's doesn't bother me though. But you should double check this.
I think you're talking two different options here. If I'm reading you correctly, both doors unlock from the outside on your car, but it sounds like you also have the autolock function when you drive off. If that's the case, then you do have to do the double pull.

You are only able to get out with the single pull if your car is set up so that the doors remain unlocked when driving.

Originally Posted by SEAL6
This works for me some of the time but not all of the time. I've had to manually open the door for my passenger when they weren't able to open the door by pressing on the black button.
I have mine set up so that both doors unlock from the outside. So it's just a matter of who hits the black button first. I do have times, both on unlock and lock, where I have to push the black button a few times to get it to work. Not often, but once in a while.

That usually happens when I find the key fob has slipped into a kryptonite container in my pocket.

Old 09-10-2007 | 01:36 PM
rockridge
|
6th Gear
I guess I need to play with this when I get home today. I found the following.

If I press the black button on the passenger side, both driver & passenger unlocked.
If I press the black button on the drivers side (with doors locked) the drivers side only unlocks.
If I press the black button on the drivers side (with doors unlocked) it locks the doors.
If I press and hold the button down on the drivers door (nothing happens)

Like I said, I need to spend some more time with this....