R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Clear bra and heat of 07 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 07:34 AM
melissasferro
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear bra and heat of 07 turbo

I read through an earlier thread on the types/brands of clear bra options. Someone mentioned a concern about the heat coming off the new 07 turbo engine and the 3M product. The recommendation was to use Venture Shield as it has been tested to higher temps.

Has anyone had any experiences/issues with the clear bra on the 07 MCS? Any new recommendations?

Also, I tried to post something earlier on this so my apologies if this post is redundant.
Thanks!
Melissa
(eagerly awaiting the arrival of my BRG/B MCS with all kinds of fun options)

Old 09-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Tharkun
6th Gear
Originally Posted by melissasferro
IHas anyone had any experiences/issues with the clear bra on the 07 MCS?Any new recommendations?
Skeeter has had the clear bra (3M brand) on since 8/15, just passed 2k miles yesterday. Have had days as hot as 106 on his commute and no issues with the temps and the clear bra.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:44 AM
07cooper
1st Gear
my 07 mcs has a 3m clear bra and has no dis-coloration from heat at all. It already has some "bumps" from intercepting road junk that did not make it thru the to the paint, so i think its great.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:24 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Just give it time guys. It will happen. Our 05 MCS with clear bra has been waxed on a bi-weekly basis since new, garaged most of the time, and its clear bra has yellowed considerably over the years (this really shows on a PW car). I still don't regret having the bra though as it has really saved the front end of the car from rock chips, dings, etc. I just wouldn't expect them to last much more than three or four years without discoloration.

However, the OEM stripes are actually way worse. They don't hold up very well at all. That's why we've opted not to have them installed on our new R56 (even though they look great on the car).

Old 09-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Tharkun
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
Just give it time guys. It will happen. Our 05 MCS with clear bra has been waxed on a bi-weekly basis since new, garaged most of the time, and its clear bra has yellowed considerably over the years (this really shows on a PW car). I still don't regret having the bra though as it has really saved the front end of the car from rock chips, dings, etc. I just wouldn't expect them to last much more than three or four years without discoloration.

However, the OEM stripes are actually way worse. They don't hold up very well at all. That's why we've opted not to have them installed on our new R56 (even though they look great on the car).
I have been using the 3M brand for over 7 years and have never had that problem, it does have a 5 year warranty and covers the issue you say you had. Did you have it replaced ?

Old 09-14-2007, 08:43 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Nope, we just sold the car (in order to get an R56) and so I didn't worry about it. If I would have kept it, then I would indeed have taken it in to see if they would replace it under warranty.

I can say that out of our three 05 MINI's (all using 3M brand clear bras), it has happened on two of the three so far. Fortunately, the two it happened on we no longer have. The third one is garaged constantly and still has only 8,000 miles on the clock and so it hasn't been exposed to the heat and sun as much as the other two have and the bra looks like new still. I am sure that it will do the same in time though. In fact, I'd be willing to be good money that it will.

And... BTW, its OEM stripes have already turned to garbage as well (which is a surprise seeing as how infrequently the car is used).

Old 09-14-2007, 08:51 AM
melissasferro
1st Gear
I have heard there are mixed reviews on the 3M product. I am leaning toward the Venture Shield as I have heard that it is also better for dark colors. Plus, it has a lifetime warranty, which I would think includes any discoloration.
Thanks for the feedback!
Melissa

Old 09-14-2007, 09:13 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just ordered the new 3M aerogard film, and will be installing it myself this weekend. Anyone else have the new film?

Old 09-14-2007, 09:30 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
When you took off the OEM hood stripes, was there color difference under the stripes?

Old 09-14-2007, 09:58 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
The clear bra and bonnet stripes were pulled from our car when we sold it as they looked horrible and so the buyer didn't want them. However, there was no color difference in the paint where the bra and/or stripes were. You couldn't tell they were ever there once the car was washed and a fresh coat of wax was applied. Then again, this was only after three years. Who knows what would happen after many more years???

Old 09-14-2007, 11:42 AM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by melissasferro
I have heard there are mixed reviews on the 3M product. I am leaning toward the Venture Shield as I have heard that it is also better for dark colors. Plus, it has a lifetime warranty, which I would think includes any discoloration.
Thanks for the feedback!
Melissa
We have the venture shield on our Jet Black R53. I also had it put on my Sparkling Silver R56. It does have a lifetime warranty which is the main reason I went with it versus the others with only a 5 year warranty.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:17 PM
kevinminict
4th Gear
Tell me more about this clear bra. I have hear about it I have the bonnet stripes on my MVS though will that affect it at all? Where exactly does this clear bra go.

I drive back forth to work some highway and I encounter alot of trucks that kick small debris up onto my MINI. I try to stay as far back as possible but it does not allways help.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:53 PM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinminict
Tell me more about this clear bra. I have hear about it I have the bonnet stripes on my MVS though will that affect it at all? Where exactly does this clear bra go.

I drive back forth to work some highway and I encounter alot of trucks that kick small debris up onto my MINI. I try to stay as far back as possible but it does not allways help.
Search the forum, there has been numerous threads on this subject. To see the product, take a look at invisiblemask.com

Old 09-14-2007, 03:11 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by kevinminict

Originally Posted by rockridge
Search the forum, there has been numerous threads on this subject. To see the product, take a look at invisiblemask.com
This is the website for VentureShield.