R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Auto Up Window toggle switch option...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 05:04 PM
aus
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys do realize that auto up/down is on EVERY luxury car out there don't you????? And on ALL windows. This talk of lawsuits is just stupid.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:43 PM
MikeV
1st Gear
My MDX has auto-down and auto-up and you can stop it as stated in an earlier post. I really hope the 2008 has it and we can program our 07's with this option. I have to get a parking pass when at the airport and its a bit irritating to have to hold the window up while motoring...

Old 12-11-2007, 06:32 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
any word on possible software only updates?

Old 12-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From early in this thread:

Originally Posted by familiarstranger
the double pull can be changed through the OBC.
Anyone ever find this setting? It's not in my car's OBC. Unless the fact that you can have it not lock the doors automatically, making it a single pull to open is the option that is referenced.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Minidrivr

Anyone ever find this setting? It's not in my car's OBC. Unless the fact that you can have it not lock the doors automatically, making it a single pull to open is the option that is referenced.
I'm guessing it has to be exactly that. I just can't see how an OBC setting (software) can control the behavior of the door handle ('hardware'). The most annoying thing to me is that there isn't an auto-unlock setting. Why have one (auto-lock) and not the other!?!

Last edited by Msteadman; 12-11-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:00 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr

im pretty sure there is no way to change it to one pull unless there is a way to set the car to auto unlock. Its actually become second nature to me and for the times im either in someone elses car, or i unlock the door via the toggle, it scares me when doors open on the first pull

Old 12-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ghosthound
Its actually become second nature to me and for the times im either in someone elses car, or i unlock the door via the toggle, it scares me when doors open on the first pull
Same here. And to make things worse, I actually find it quite annoying when passengers give me that confused look when they're trying to exit and the door doesn't open at first. I've actually started quickly hitting the unlock switch when I have a passenger to spare them the confusion.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:50 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ghosthound
any word on possible software only updates?
I believe that in order to have auto-up on a car that a sensor would have to be installed to prevent necks and fingers from getting pinched.So even if software could enable auto-up, you wouldn't be able to get it from a dealer without additional hardware.

It would be easy to test if it may already be there. Just stick your hand through the window as you raise it. If it stops when it hits your hand, than the sensor is there.

My Audi had auto-up, and the window would reverse if I hit a god bump while the window was raising.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:55 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jascooper
I believe that in order to have auto-up on a car that a sensor would have to be installed to prevent necks and fingers from getting pinched.So even if software could enable auto-up, you wouldn't be able to get it from a dealer without additional hardware.

It would be easy to test if it may already be there. Just stick your hand through the window as you raise it. If it stops when it hits your hand, than the sensor is there.

My Audi had auto-up, and the window would reverse if I hit a god bump while the window was raising.
No sensor. Just amputated my little finger. No worries. I know a plastic surgeon.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Too bad the R56 is incompatible with Ian's GBMINI circuit. I've never regretted installing his auto-up circuit in my R50; it makes my life so much easier getting out of airport parking, which I do frequently.

I'm sure that if a brave R56 owner would let Ian experiment on their MINI for a few weeks, he'd have a compatible design ready in no time.

Any takers?

Old 12-14-2007, 11:29 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
I'm sure that if a brave R56 owner would let Ian experiment on their MINI for a few weeks, he'd have a compatible design ready in no time.
Ian has purchased an R56 (GBMINI #5, see his weblog).

Old 12-14-2007, 01:00 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
On my 2004 I installed a small circuit card and it is programable to put windows up with a double click. I was going to put one on my wifes 2007 convertable however did not want any accidents.. In searching for the company that I purchased mine from which has now gone away I found the following; http://www.gbmini.net/wp/auto-up_windows/ they look easier then the one I got. Nice on rainy days etc..

Old 12-14-2007, 01:28 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Tron Chief
In searching for the company that I purchased mine from which has now gone away I found the following; http://www.gbmini.net/wp/auto-up_windows/
That is Ian's website (member GBMINI here). For the R56, I have no doubt that he will create a circuit for his personal use. Whether he would put it into production is another question, as auto-up will become a standard feature in the US next year: http://www.motoringfile.com/2007/10/...ayed-for-2008/

Old 12-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Modnar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
That is Ian's website (member GBMINI here). For the R56, I have no doubt that he will create a circuit for his personal use. Whether he would put it into production is another question, as auto-up will become a standard feature in the US next year: http://www.motoringfile.com/2007/10/...ayed-for-2008/
There's only going to be Driver's Side auto up, so your passengers (or you, if you like to motor around with the windows down) will still have to hold down the toggle (as will all of us poor '07 owners).

Old 12-14-2007, 01:43 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
i dont know about you guys but ive never had a time where i left my arm in the window when it was going up.... even with auto up windows in other cars. i can understand the liability but cant we just sign a waiver?

Old 01-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Black&Gold
2nd Gear
Like stated above, VW's have one touch up, Audi's, Porsches and Jaguars have it too. On all the windows. New Fords have it on the drivers window now. It's just a marketing gimmick, holding back features to drive you up in model or into a new car. It can obviously be done. They have to have "improvements" for the next model year, and the next. the legal and safety issues have long been resolved, it's just the builders willingess to implement them.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Black&Gold
2nd Gear
On another note; there is a fellow making a circuit for the R53 to add one touch up to that car. here's the link.
http://www.gbmini.net/wp/auto-up_windows/
If you look through his site you'll see there is quite a difference in the older car and the new R56. I suggest anybody with interest in modernizing your brand new Mini go to his web site and then drop him a line telling him you'd be interested in a circuit board for the R56. I did. No, I have no connection at all to him.

Somehow missed the posts above talking about Ian's circuit board before I originally posted this but I still think it might be worth e-mailing him from his site to tell him your interested.

Last edited by Black&Gold; 01-17-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:30 PM
boogboog
Neutral
i can verify auto up on 08's, mine got here last week and auto up works on both sides.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:06 AM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by boogboog
i can verify auto up on 08's, mine got here last week and auto up works on both sides.
thanks for rubbing it in

jk, haha. I hope there is a solution to this sometime in the future. If it takes bribing the SA at the dealership....

Old 01-18-2008, 07:30 AM
kevinminict
4th Gear
Hmmm I wonder if it can be "magically programmed" into the 07's by the dealer? Everythings run by comuter so it seems liek it should be a no brainer but who knows.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Apparently it can be, but '07 MINIs don't have pinch protection. So good luck finding a dealer willing to do it.

Hopefully gbmini will have a circuit for R56s out soon enough.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:56 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Msteadman
Hopefully gbmini will have a circuit for R56s out soon enough.
Ian now owns an '07 R56 and I wouldn't be surprised if he builds one for his personal use. However, 08's have the feature from the factory and it might not be worthwhile for Ian to put it into production if it is only useful for a single model year.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:24 PM
going4speed
4th Gear
Pinch protection is only a circuit sensing a load change in the motor.

Hold the up switch till the window goes into the frame and hold it up when it is already closed. In a second it will click of the power to the motor...pinch control...

Old 01-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Well has anyone tried closing their fingers in the window to see if the '07 MINI does in fact have pinch protection???

Old 01-18-2008, 06:40 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Msteadman
Well has anyone tried closing their fingers in the window to see if the '07 MINI does in fact have pinch protection???
Well, you own an '07. I could make an obvious suggestion...

Quick Reply: R56 Auto Up Window toggle switch option...