R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Auto Up Window toggle switch option...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:33 PM
MikeV
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Up Window toggle switch option...

Does anyone know if you can program the toggle switch for an auto close feature if you hold it for more than 1-2 seconds?

Can it be programed from the dealer or from an afermarket option?

Old 09-19-2007, 04:38 AM
Coffeeman
4th Gear
It can be programmed, but good luck finding a US dealer who will do it. You can thank BMW's lawyers for this, and the lack of an auto open/close sunrrof, as well.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:27 AM
dorkboy
3rd Gear
dealers in canada won't do it either. I tried last week.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:51 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
We need a better ECU hack tool that Allows us to reprogram the door handle double pull as well as the Auto-up window feature.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:14 AM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
the double pull can be changed through the OBC. and maybe someone could wire up a circuit for the auto up and auto sport button like ian did for the R53

Old 09-19-2007, 11:08 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Driver's side auto up will be standard for 2008: http://www.motoringfile.com/2007/07/...he-us-in-2008/
Perhaps a software update will become available.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:11 PM
SuwaneeM3
3rd Gear
I would think it will be available as SW. If you notice when you hold the up or sunroof close button that you hear a slight electrical "click" sound about a half second after the window is closed. This means mechanically and electrically that everything is in place to have auto up/down feature. I just hope they give in and add it to the sw update down the road.

-s

Old 09-19-2007, 02:35 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
I'd think it would require some sort of pinch sensor in place to keep it from decapitating pets or small children.

Anyone tried raising the window with their hand in the window? Does it stop when it hits your arm?

Old 09-19-2007, 03:05 PM
tbonecopper
2nd Gear
jascooper: my acura tl / mdx and vw touareg did this... i "think" the moon roof may do this on the mini..i've never tried the windows...since they're framless. I dont' want to shatter them... lol

edit: I just checked... and I guess it doesn't work... since the moon roof isn't auto close nor the windows... sorry :(

Last edited by tbonecopper; 09-19-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:49 PM
aem421
4th Gear
I would not want to have auto up. Do you know how hard it would be to roll the window down half way. I could see it now. Push down and the window starts to roll all the way down. Push up to stop it and then it starts rolling all the up. That could be really frustrating

I'm almost sure Mini would have to put in a different switch for the auto up feature to work. My wife's van has auto up and the switch on the driver's side works completely different that the one on the passenger side.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:25 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by aem421
Do you know how hard it would be to roll the window down half way. I could see it now. Push down and the window starts to roll all the way down.
Push the switch down again while it's going down and it will stop. Very easy to just crack the window or open it as much as you want. My Audi had auto both ways and it was great (especially at toll booths).

Old 09-19-2007, 09:09 PM
SuwaneeM3
3rd Gear
It doesnt have to be a pinch switch per se. The button (or the motor circuit) can detect in an instant if the current peaks and can open the circuit. You can hear it if you press and hold the UP button after the window is already fully raised.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:49 AM
tbonecopper
2nd Gear
at toll booths?

paranoia much :-p

Old 09-20-2007, 09:10 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think jascooper is talking about having to pull away from a toll both on a rainy night, and your hands are full because the attendant has just handed you your change/receipt, you've got a manual transmission, and you don't want to hold up the line of people behind you.

In cases like that, it's *very* convenient to be able to reach down, flick the window button once and have it close all the way.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:07 AM
hazmat
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
In cases like that, it's *very* convenient to be able to reach down, flick the window button once and have it close all the way.
Even more convenient to use an EZ-Pass. You can leave your window up and you barely even have to slow down! One of the best things ever invented!

Old 09-20-2007, 10:55 AM
maximusGeek
3rd Gear
I wish the auto-open-all from the remote would open the sun roof all the way, not just kick open the vents.

Auto close wont happen in the US. Too many lawsuits. They made it law to change the door mounted toggle switches so up means down, down, means up so if a kid stands on switch, they wont loose their heads.

Last edited by maximusGeek; 09-20-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:04 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by hazmat
Even more convenient to use an EZ-Pass. You can leave your window up and you barely even have to slow down! One of the best things ever invented!
True, but I've never lived anyplace where toll booths were part of my normal commute, so when I deal with them, it's usually out-of-state on a road trip or something like that. Is EZ-Pass a nationwide thing, where I could get one account and one transponder and use it anywhere?

Old 09-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by maximusGeek
IAuto close wont happen in the US. Too many lawsuits. They made it law to change the door mounted toggle switches so up means down, down, means up so if a kid stands on switch, they wont loose their heads.
So much for Darwin.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:20 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Auto close wont happen in the US.
It will be in 2008 MINI, according to MotoringFile. Various car manufacturers (even BMW) already have it in their US cars.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:37 AM
maximusGeek
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
It will be in 2008 MINI, according to MotoringFile. Various car manufacturers (even BMW) already have it in their US cars.
They must have a sensor that stops it if something is in the way.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:43 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
I wish the auto-open-all from the remote would open the sun roof all the way, not just kick open the vents.

Auto close wont happen in the US. Too many lawsuits. They made it law to change the door mounted toggle switches so up means down, down, means up so if a kid stands on switch, they wont loose their heads.
When was that law made? My 2001 Audi had auto close. There's a sensor so if a kid's head is in the window, it'll reverse so you won't have a mess to clean up.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:15 PM
maximusGeek
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jascooper
When was that law made? My 2001 Audi had auto close. There's a sensor so if a kid's head is in the window, it'll reverse so you won't have a mess to clean up.
The auto up was not the law, the toggle switch was. its now a requirement that the switch in door handles will not close the window by pusing down on the switch. It was a few years ago. Tried to find a link... but couldn't find something. It started in CA after a kid stepped on the switch and got it's neck stuck in the window and died.

I could imagine that even if no law said no to auto up windows, car makers would be cautious about it due to law suits.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:15 PM
SuwaneeM3
3rd Gear
I have heard this countless times for different car makers and have never actually seen proof that auto up was illegal. There is especially no reason why the MINI doesnt have auto up... the switches are located vertically on the dash surrounded by hoops. No accidental stepping or leaning going on there.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
This doesn't make sense - if they step on the switch, and down means up, then stepping on the switch raises the window.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:29 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
I think that's just a typo in Maximus' post. On door-mounted switches, pressing the switch down must lower the window.

Quick Reply: R56 Auto Up Window toggle switch option...