R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Lets make the best MINI...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:26 AM
DChap
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets make the best MINI...

There are so many people on NAM (myself included) that ask if their configuration looks ok. So I have an idea.....

Together lets configure the best all around MINI COOPER S. By all around I mean not over the top loaded, not too expensive.

Everyone post a couple options or packages that you feel are worth it and give a reason to support it. If you disagree with someone about an option, state why you feel so or give an alternative.

I'll start...

I think the cold weather package is a given. For $300 you get heated seats which are amazing in the winter or late night fall, heated washer jets and heated power folding mirrors. That is a great deal.

I also think rear fogs for $100 make sense to get because it gives you a switch instead of a stupid blank plate, and it puts something in the rear black out bumper area. Plus they are fantastic for tail gaters haha.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:32 AM
Scoopmama
6th Gear
Definitely the fog lights.

Cold weather package? I didn't do that- in So Cal it's a nice little luxury, but not necessary (like in IA or Delaware!! )

Sport suspension- yes! I think the handling for regular driving is awesome! Love those curves!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:35 AM
DChap
5th Gear
good point about location Scoop. In CA or down Florida way, I guess it wouldn't be needed or worth $300. In DE it is fantastic, I use the heated seats in my VW GTI all the time.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:48 AM
opass
3rd Gear
Xenon headlights $550 by itself. You can't put safety on price. Looks way different than the standard one...just cool. You got high beam with Xenon light, too.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:50 AM
DChap
5th Gear
Question is though opass.....is it better to just get the Xenon lights, or to get the Sport Package?

Personally I would go with the package because I want the stripes and the DSC (safty again)

Old 10-03-2007, 09:02 AM
opass
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DChap
Question is though opass.....is it better to just get the Xenon lights, or to get the Sport Package?

Personally I would go with the package because I want the stripes and the DSC (safty again)
Mini done a very very good job for marketing and pricing. Package always cheaper with mult options. Buy more for less if you have the $. People on budget, not to worry...pick the one you want but higher cost. Just to suck you dry in polite manner. Isn't great marketing. It depand what you want or think.

For the Sport package, Xenon, DSC and strips are the must want items, so the answer is yes..........if you look at my signature, Mine is pretty much. I just don't like to regard something later after delievery.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:11 AM
darmog
4th Gear
I like the auto dimming mirror. Its kinda irritating driving with both hands on the wheels on some mountain when a guy with his highs on or a large truck/suv goes up right behind you and starts blinding you in the rear view mirror.

-fog lights are a must too if only just to fill out the toggle switches on the center stack.

-MFSW for the cruise control

-Anthracite headliner- just makes the interior look all around better

-Invishield-to protect the paint as best you can for as long as you ca

Old 10-03-2007, 09:13 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
I'd have to say mine is the best MINI. I ordered everything I wanted, and absolutely nothing I didn't.

Now I just need the JCW engine and suspension kit...

Old 10-03-2007, 09:17 AM
DChap
5th Gear
Originally Posted by darmog
Anthracite headliner- just makes the interior look all around better
I agree with the steering wheel and the clear shield, but the headliner.....$200 for changing from light tan to black? is it really worth it?

As for the steering wheel though, would you guys think going for the premium package would be the best way of getting the wheel? I mean the package gives you the big @$$ sunroof, auto AC and the wheel.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DChap
good point about location Scoop. In CA or down Florida way, I guess it wouldn't be needed or worth $300. In DE it is fantastic, I use the heated seats in my VW GTI all the time.
I'm in Central California and I am happy to have the heated seats.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:37 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
MFSW. Gotta have cruise for the trips. Helps to keep me from buying tickets to the Policemans Ball.

No, the other one.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:55 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
The Perfect MCS

Since it is an MCS it should have a Manual Transmission and LSD. Too much torque in this baby not to have it.

DSC
a definite must for safety. The government should make it mandatory.

I'm not so sure about the Xenon Headlamps. I don't really like the abrupt cutoff of the low beams. High beams are great if there is no traffic.

17" vs. 16" wheels is a tough one. I have a set of each. The 16" are definitely more comfortable, but the 17" seem to handle better -- especially turn-in. The wheel weights are within about two lbs. of each other on my sets. Centerline RPM 17x7 at 15-16 lbs. vs. Rota RB 16x7 a around 14 lbs. However, the tire differences could have something to do with the handling differences -- Michelin Pilot Exhalto PE2 205/45-17 vs. Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S 205/55-16. Whichever wheel size one chooses, IMO, factory wheels are less than ideal. Lighter weight aftermarket wheels are better.

Comfort Access System is very nice. I love just walking up to my locked car, pushing a button on the door handle and then opening the door. No digging into the pockets for the key.

Nix the Universal Garage Door Opener and Arm Rest. The Arm Rest just gets in the way of shifting, and the reach to the UGDO is too far to be convenient.

NAV and Park Distance Control should be added. The NAV works well and looks great. PDC helps you maneuver into those parking spots only a MINI can use. It also keeps you from running over low objects you can't see below the belt line, such as a tricycle or low wall.

Anthracite Headliner is a must. Looks better than the standard.

Definite yes on the MFSW. Gotta have cruise control and the audio controls are nice as well.

iPod Integration -- wish I had it.

Custom HIFI as the OEM options are not that great.

The OEM Boot Box is a good option to keep things from sliding around in the boot. It is especially good for grocery bags.

The glove compartment needs the Glove Box Tidy from GoMiniGo.com.

Also, it should have a Wooden Gear Shift **** like this:

And, it should have a Rear Seat Delete like this:

Old 10-03-2007, 10:52 AM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
dang robin... more info on the rear seat delete please?

Old 10-03-2007, 10:53 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Since it is an MCS it should have a Manual Transmission and LSD. Too much torque in this baby not to have it.
Agreed
DSC a definite must for safety. The government should make it mandatory.
Agreed

I'm not so sure about the Xenon Headlamps. I don't really like the abrupt cutoff of the low beams. High beams are great if there is no traffic.
I like them!

17" vs. 16" wheels is a tough one. I have a set of each. The 16" are definitely more comfortable, but the 17" seem to handle better -- especially turn-in. The wheel weights are within about two lbs. of each other on my sets. Centerline RPM 17x7 at 15-16 lbs. vs. Rota RB 16x7 a around 14 lbs. However, the tire differences could have something to do with the handling differences -- Michelin Pilot Exhalto PE2 205/45-17 vs. Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S 205/55-16. Whichever wheel size one chooses, IMO, factory wheels are less than ideal. Lighter weight aftermarket wheels are better.
I am very happy with the Web spoke 17s

Comfort Access System is very nice. I love just walking up to my locked car, pushing a button on the door handle and then opening the door. No digging into the pockets for the key.
A Must have!

Nix the Universal Garage Door Opener and Arm Rest. The Arm Rest just gets in the way of shifting, and the reach to the UGDO is too far to be convenient.
Agree with not needing either

NAV and Park Distance Control should be added. The NAV works well and looks great. PDC helps you maneuver into those parking spots only a MINI can use. It also keeps you from running over low objects you can't see below the belt line, such as a tricycle or low wall.
I like the PDC, but did not want to spend the $$ on NAV since I already have a good portable GPS (Garmin Nuvi 660)

Anthracite Headliner is a must. Looks better than the standard.
I saw no need to spend the $

Definite yes on the MFSW. Gotta have cruise control and the audio controls are nice as well.
I saw no need to spend the $

iPod Integration -- wish I had it.
I saw no need to spend the $ (Don't own an ipod)

Custom HIFI as the OEM options are not that great.
I spend most of my time listing to public or news radio. This option was not for me.

The OEM Boot Box is a good option to keep things from sliding around in the boot. It is especially good for grocery bags.
Interesting. Two of my other cars are SUVs and are my shopping vehicles, I i just throw everything in.

Add to Robins list

Cold Weather: Yes!
Rear Fogs: Yes
White turn signals: Yes

Old 10-03-2007, 11:27 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The best MINI??? This entire exercise is utter and complete folly!!! That said...discussion of the options may well help some, so that's good.

Last edited by gokartride; 10-03-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by familiarstranger
dang robin... more info on the rear seat delete please?
I'll post a thread about it when I get time to put all the photos together.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:55 AM
tomah
3rd Gear
id take LSD over DSC anyday of the week

Old 10-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tomah
id take LSD over DSC anyday of the week
They are entirely different animals. You are probably thinking of LSD vs. ASC. Unfortunately, ASC comes standard. However, LSD keeps it from engaging as early as it would without LSD.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:33 PM
tomah
3rd Gear
They are entirely different animals. You are probably thinking of LSD vs. ASC. Unfortunately, ASC comes standard. However, LSD keeps it from engaging as early as it would without LSD.
well DSC is supposed to control your stability n stuff. i wouldnt want my car to automatically correct that. LSD to me would be more of an aid to help me control coming in and out of that turn.

i duno can somebody enlighten me on DSC? maybe ive got the wrong impression about it

Last edited by tomah; 10-03-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:41 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
I'm all for the MFSW, but the old style where the buttons are on the back of the wheel... You know the ones.

My wife has a 2006 cabrio and I can't stand the buttons on the front of the wheel. I like my 04 MFSW controls.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tomah
well DSC is supposed to control your stability n stuff. i wouldnt want my car to automatically correct that. LSD to me would be more of an aid to help me control coming in and out of that turn.

i duno can somebody enlighten me on DSC? maybe ive got the wrong impression about it
DSC uses yaw sensors, steering angle, and lateral acceleration to determine if the MINI is going where intended. If not, it manipulates individual brakes to try to sort things out. It is capable of manipulations no human can do. It has nothing to do with putting power to the ground.

LSD is about putting power to the ground. If one of the front wheels is spinning during acceleration, it transfers power to the other wheel.

ASC attempts to maintain traction during acceleration by cutting engine power and applying a brake to the spinning drive wheel. You cannot not get ASC. It comes on all R56 MINIs.

So, LSD will more efficiently put power to the ground and delay the interference from ASC.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:13 PM
tomah
3rd Gear
ahh koool thanks for the info~!

Old 10-03-2007, 02:19 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
LSD for $500 (price when I picked it back in '05) is a STEAL!
That's a must for a sporting driver MCS (IMHO).

I'll second the call for the antracite headliner. Yes... It's crap that we have to pay $200 for the same item in a different color, but it's so much nicer in black!

Old 10-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Wolfgang80
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you push the button to de-activate DSC, does this also turn off ASC? If you don't order DSC, do you still have a button to de-activate ASC?

Old 10-03-2007, 02:48 PM
tomah
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Wolfgang80
When you push the button to de-activate DSC, does this also turn off ASC? If you don't order DSC, do you still have a button to de-activate ASC?
there is a button to deactive the ASC. it is on the far right of the button panel where the sport button is

Quick Reply: R56 Lets make the best MINI...