R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Too late for rear fogs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 09:51 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too late for rear fogs?

After seeing a few cars with the rear fogs i wish i had got them. Anyone have any experiance / ideas how much it would be to have it installed post-production? Any info would be sweet before i give them a call.

Thanks!!

Old 10-05-2007, 10:20 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
In the 1st gen MINI's the rear fog lights could indeed be retrofitted if your car was built after a certain date (although they required dealer programming in order to make them work). I know as I did it.

However, I've heard tale that the 2nd gen cars might not be able to have the rear fogs retrofitted. I don't know how true it is, but I assume it has some validity seeing as the way the new system integrates the toggles for the fog lights in the center stack. i.e. it's probably prohibitively expensive to replace the toggle panel with a new one that has the switch for the rear fogs.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:37 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
In the 1st gen MINI's the rear fog lights could indeed be retrofitted if your car was built after a certain date (although they required dealer programming in order to make them work). I know as I did it.

However, I've heard tale that the 2nd gen cars might not be able to have the rear fogs retrofitted. I don't know how true it is, but I assume it has some validity seeing as the way the new system integrates the toggles for the fog lights in the center stack. i.e. it's probably prohibitively expensive to replace the toggle panel with a new one that has the switch for the rear fogs.
Yes it would be expensive as that toggle panel would have to be replaced and programming by the dealer to activate them.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:03 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
It was that way as well for the 1st gen cars, but even after replacing the entire toggle panel and having the dealer program it, you could still get away for under $200 (since the parts were fairly cheap). One step forward two steps backward I guess.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:23 AM
kookmyers
4th Gear
of course you could always just install the actual parts on the bumper and have non-functioning ones : )
or rig them up with a switch that is not on the center stack....
there is a grommet in the tool holder area that comes up from underneath that you could run the wire in, run it along the inside of the car and then do some wiring to a switch that you install in a hidden area.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:07 PM
oldopelguy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kookmyers
of course you could always just install the actual parts on the bumper and have non-functioning ones
Or you could pop out the inserts, belt sand them smooth, apply a strip of 4" wide red reflective tape to them, then re-install. Poof, for about $20 they become red reflectors and look like they were there for a reason.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
Have u done?

Originally Posted by oldopelguy
Or you could pop out the inserts, belt sand them smooth, apply a strip of 4" wide red reflective tape to them, then re-install. Poof, for about $20 they become red reflectors and look like they were there for a reason.
Have you done this or are you just thinking?

Sounds interesting....altho I might use a good plastic filler to just smooth the inserts. Do they cut out or 'pop'? I'll have to go look ......

I don't really want rear fogs ... but don't like the 'cut outs' either.... A good faux fix like the one to put fake fogs in a Honda Element! I like it!

Old 10-05-2007, 04:02 PM
oldopelguy
3rd Gear
not yet

Haven't done it yet, but in my case it's because my hitch comes out the two holes and I've been poping the inserts in and out enough that I'm not sure the tape would hold up well. Should be changing the hitch configuration here soon, though, and when I do the covers will be reflectors for sure!

Old 10-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Sticky
After seeing a few cars with the rear fogs i wish i had got them. Anyone have any experiance / ideas how much it would be to have it installed post-production? Any info would be sweet before i give them a call.

Thanks!!
Same here. I did change my order to include the white light feature, but not the rear fogs. I shouldn't have second guess it and just did it.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:18 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I did the same thing--I'm in an area that doesn't have much fog. Like a nitwit I didn't consider heavy rain--which we DO have. In spades.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:22 PM
jaridp
4th Gear
I'm 99.998% positive the wiring is not there for the rear fogs if you did not order them. MINI's come with option specific wiring harnesses from the factory. Easy way to check is to put your head under the bumper and look for wires!