R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Grrrrrrr... Damaged Wheel!!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 07:36 AM
kevinminict
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrrrrrr... Damaged Wheel!!! :(

SO I was leaving work lastnight and our horrid parking garage I was making a 90degree turn and my left front wheel hit the curb and CrUnCh . So I got out and looked at hit once I got home and well you be the judge.

IT SUCKS!!!!! My Brand new MINI

Does anyone know If my car insurance can cover something like this ?

Last edited by kevinminict; 10-07-2007 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Robb's 07 Red MCS
2nd Gear
Yes, insurance should cover it but your deductible is probably more than the wheel. Suggestion: look up wheelcollision.com located in PA. They can either send you a refurbished like-new wheel echange or repair yours. A repair is $125 plus about $25 for UPS shipping. Have ordered from them before and they do tremendous work & superb quality. Normal turn around from you, to them, and back to you is about five business days.

Hope this helps

Old 10-07-2007, 08:03 AM
darmog
4th Gear
But would you want to replace or repair the wheel at this point would be a better question. I know it's annoying to look at considering its a brand new car, but its precisely probably why I wouldn't want to repair that wheel yet. New car, new dimensions to get used to. I'm assumming you never actually curbed your prior car in the same garage so you're still adjusting to the dimensions of the new MINI. You just might end up curbing again and then slap yourself silly for fixing the wheel beforehand. I'd let it go for a few months or so till you're absolutely confident in how you handle your MINI. By then, it's probably time to repair your wheel or have an excuse to buy completely new rims and better tires!!!

Old 10-07-2007, 08:11 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yep, Robb is right... you can turn in a claim on your auto policy but your deductible is likely higher than the damage. And if it's not, it *should* be. This is a "collision" loss, not a comp loss. Hard to imagine any good reasons to carry less than a $500 deductible on collision coverage.

And the likely impact the claim would have on future premiums makes it hardly worthwhile to report it.

Out of pocket repair seems to be your best option. Good luck !

Old 10-07-2007, 08:17 AM
johne123
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep

I'm right there with the previous comment. It sucks, but it happens. I managed to put the first scrape into our WRX after having it about 2 months. I got new wheels for it and my wife managed to scrape one of those. I recently had two wheels repaired locally from my Corrado. Both were bent and a tow truck driver managed to scrape one while loading the car. Now one of the four wheels on that car is scrapped and I'll leave it on the right side of the car, the one where i'm most likely to scape it again while parallel parking.

I've already broken in my week old Mini Cooper S. I managed to put a small scratch in the bumper while loading stuff into the trunk, I mean boot. Oh well, it happens to all of us.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:31 AM
kevinminict
4th Gear
Yeah my deductible is $500 Ohh well thanks for the input guys. This sucks Well i'll have to get used to it.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:44 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Probably doesn't make you feel even a tiny bit better but at least you're smart in selecting your Collision deductible.

Look at it this way... the money you've saved over the past couple of years by carring a $500 deductible, opposed to... say a $100 deductibe... will more than pay for the wheel repair.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:38 AM
pastabatman
4th Gear
I once had a minor mishap with a fence pole on an icy driveway w/ our SUV. Deductible was $500, repair was ~$800. When we considered changing insurance for a better rate a couple of years later, we discovered the new carrier wouldn't give us the cheaper rate until that incident was cleared off our record (takes 5 yrs, I think). So, you might not want to file a claim unless it is significantly over the deductible. I'm starting to wonder if it's worthwhile to take a much higher deductible.

Last edited by pastabatman; 10-07-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:30 AM
dbhouston
4th Gear
Been there done that

I put road rash on my back passenger tire twice now from misjudging the distance around the corner. At some point I'll have it fixed. Hit the internet. There are probably several places near you that do it. Here in Houston you can get flawless results for $129.

Good luck.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:17 PM
kevinminict
4th Gear
I found a cool Company. Its called www.mobilewheelrepair.com They come to your location and repair the wheel. They are located all over the USA and world. There are a number of reps in CT so I emaild a couple for estimates.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Hogtied
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought wheel & tire insurance when I bought the car. I believe it cost me $300 for as long as I own it.

When I researched what what one wheel costs to replace, and one run flat tire costs to replace, I figure it was worth the expense.

Zero deductible.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Xray'dit_Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Hogtied
I bought wheel & tire insurance when I bought the car. I believe it cost me $300 for as long as I own it.

When I researched what what one wheel costs to replace, and one run flat tire costs to replace, I figure it was worth the expense.

Zero deductible.
+1

Old 10-07-2007, 06:22 PM
lidiette4632
1st Gear
Kevinminict.... I know how painful it is when your new MINI gets one of her (or his) feet hurt. Last Monday, I was driving by this street at night and since the road was (and still) very dark I was not able to spot a very deep hole on the road. Therefore, I hurt my MINI's left front wheel to the point that I had to buy a new rim. :(

Let us know how that company that you found works out.

Good luck!

Old 10-07-2007, 09:16 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pastabatman
So, you might not want to file a claim unless it is significantly over the deductible. I'm starting to wonder if it's worthwhile to take a much higher deductible.

I went with $1000 deductible specifically for that reason. If you have to make a collision claim it can drastically raise your rates for several years. I figure if it's less than a $3000 repair it would be cheaper to pay out of pocket than the increased premiums for a few years would be.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:47 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
It doesn't look that bad at all to me. I'd keep the money and buy more suspension upgrades like swaybar or springs.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:15 AM
MINImanicMan
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kevinminict
SO I was leaving work lastnight and our horrid parking garage I was making a 90degree turn and my left front wheel hit the curb and CrUnCh . So I got out and looked at hit once I got home and well you be the judge.
I did the exact same, stoopid, thing when my 2007 R56 was 2 weeks old. But, I managed to do it on 2 different wheels within 2 weeks. UGH! I felt like crap.

Now here's the good news. I have the exact same alloy wheels as you. I went back to the dealer. They had an arrangement with a guy who would come into their dealership to fix wheels with the exact problems you have and that I had and my scratches were equally as deep and even longer on one of my wheels It took a couple hours but when he was done I could not tell the difference. The cost was $75 per wheel. I have been extremely careful with curbs since. But, next to buying my mini in the first place, that was the best money I've spent on that car.