R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Ok, now I need config. help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Minerva Louise
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's ok flaco; that happens on forums sometimes. It is easy to misread someone's tone. I should not have flamed up so fast either; that is one personality thingy I have to watch. I can see where you would be a little flustered with all that going on with your MINI- I know about the run-flats and plan to go with non-runflats as soon as the runflats wear out. It is hard to get those RFs with their reinforced sidewalls off a wheel; it stinks your wheel took damage in the process. I plan on getting a donut spare once I get the runflats off, and having a canvas bag made for it so it doesn't scratch the inside of the boot up or something. Have to think of something to hold it in place too.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:20 AM
samroberto
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minerva Louise
Yes, I like the white mirrors better than the chrome --- but --- I like the chrome piece on the back above the license plate. I like how it breaks up a field of solid color. So everything is compromises of course. If you could have just that one bit of extra chrome and leave everything else from the extra exterior chrome package off, it would be nice. Maybe that option is out there aftermarket? Where to look?

I am going to go play with the configurator in a bit to see the white vs regular-color wheels. It might be tomorrow or so before I get to do that however. It is definitely a thought.

YES you can definitely go with an aftermarket chrome boot handle. There were many many sorts of things like that for the R53 and certainly in the pipeline for the R56. If you just wanted SOMEthing different, you could always go for the Carbon Fiber rear handle (I think THAT is sweet!) but there are definitely alternatives to an entire chrome-package.... that way you could go with white mirrors and still have something cool on the rear end.

-Also while dressing up the rear, have you thought about the white turn signals too? They're only $100, and though it's not much of a change, I ordered them because I really enjoy the more modern look- they really DO look sweet. I can send/ post pictures tomorrow after I PICK UP MY CAR !!!!!!!!!!! :g rin:

Old 10-11-2007, 11:25 AM
samroberto
3rd Gear
Mini w/ white wheels

More white wheels...

Old 10-11-2007, 11:37 AM
andyde
5th Gear
ahhh, the beauty of choices. I don't think I have ever encounted such a car with so many configurations. Gotta love it!

Stick with the web spokes, my own personal opinion is that if you ever decide to go to aftermarket wheels; you'll be able to sell them better.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Modnar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minerva Louise
Yes, I like the white mirrors better than the chrome --- but --- I like the chrome piece on the back above the license plate. I like how it breaks up a field of solid color. So everything is compromises of course. If you could have just that one bit of extra chrome and leave everything else from the extra exterior chrome package off, it would be nice. Maybe that option is out there aftermarket? Where to look?
There's a non-zero number of people who've done the exterior chrome package and then swapped out the chrome mirrors with some white ones. If your dealer is nice they might even do the swap free (provided you let them keep the chrome mirrors, of course).

If it's just the chrome boot handle you're after, it is possible for your dealer to order it (or any other bit on the car) seperately. A quick search on realoem.com turns up the exterior chrome package. The chrome boot handle is part number 51132753603, which, when plugged into the search at www.pelicanparts.com shows that it should cost rougly in the neighborhood of $93.70. So you could either order that with your car and have the dealer install it before you take delivery, or order it from one of the two dealers that offer a 20% NAM discount (Classic MINI of Cleveland is one, I forget the other off hand) and install it yourself. That's much cheaper than the whole Exterior Chrome Package if you only wanted that one bit.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:37 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
You could always have it wrapped in vinyl too. Its easy to remove and should cost less than $100 to have it wrapped in whatever color tickles your fancy.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:39 AM
abcjh4
2nd Gear
A floating *what*??!!!

Hurray! I'm ordering a floating whorehouse! This really reminds me of people who get a new computer (or other gadget) and add everything they can to it, anything and everything sparkly or fun. Yep, people like me. After you have had computers for a while and you have reformatted x number of times, you tend to simplify. You're over that "OMG it's so sparkly!" phase. I'm buying my first MINI and I *want* it to be sparkly and out there. I'm not a race driver (yet) and it's a daily driver and I want it to be really fun. I'm sure those of you who have owned MINIs from the beginning like the minimalist design better. Check back with me in 10 years and my next MINI might be way less shiny (or not).

Originally Posted by flaco
Ditch the chrome and stripes. I have both and am replacing them with aftermarket stripes and blackout....look at modification pictures of other cars....the chrome makes the car look like a floating whorehouse.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Spectral Glider
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abcjh4
Hurray! I'm ordering a floating whorehouse! This really reminds me of people who get a new computer (or other gadget) and add everything they can to it, anything and everything sparkly or fun. Yep, people like me. After you have had computers for a while and you have reformatted x number of times, you tend to simplify. You're over that "OMG it's so sparkly!" phase. I'm buying my first MINI and I *want* it to be sparkly and out there. I'm not a race driver (yet) and it's a daily driver and I want it to be really fun. I'm sure those of you who have owned MINIs from the beginning like the minimalist design better. Check back with me in 10 years and my next MINI might be way less shiny (or not).
Don't worry, the chrome really isn't all that flashy. To me, it adds just the right amount of extra color or splash. It's all personal taste, the silver plastic look does absolutely nothing for me. I just think it's bland. When I saw the chrome in person, I had to have it.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:30 AM
Diploman
3rd Gear
Suggestions

Your restraint is admirable in passing on the convenience and premium packages.

You might want to think about the sport package: the essential item here is DSC. The (heavy) Crown Spokes and runflats are a drag on handling, while the sport suspension is needed if you have genuine sporting (ie track auto-x) ambitions. The stock suspension is quite firm enough, and can be easily boosted with aftermarket swaybars. Maybe you might want to get the OEM Bridgespokes and swap them out for lightweight aftermarket wheels and non-runflats. With this and the stock suspension, you will have a more comfortable and better handling car than the Sport package will provide.

Instead of the driving light you mention, you should by all means get the Xenons!! An incredibly valuable upgrade. Most who have the Xenons would not think of buying another car without them, they are that good. And they make driving lights superfluous.

One last thought: Unless you live in a perennially warm climate, you will find the Cold weather package very rewarding for a modest price. The heated seats are really a treat.

Otherwise your spec sounds great. Enjoy your MINI!

Old 12-18-2007, 10:15 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Diploman
One last thought: Unless you live in a perennially warm climate, you will find the Cold weather package very rewarding for a modest price. The heated seats are really a treat.
Agreed, and I live in hot Texas. Great for those cold mornings we have in the winter, and for backaches on trips.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:36 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Diploman
Instead of the driving light you mention, you should by all means get the Xenons!! An incredibly valuable upgrade. Most who have the Xenons would not think of buying another car without them, they are that good. And they make driving lights superfluous.
False, I believe there are quite a few of us who had xenons and decided not to reorder them, or would not order again should they buy another MINI.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:43 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr
False, I believe there are quite a few of us who had xenons and decided not to reorder them, or would not order again should they buy another MINI.
Well I'm not "quite a few of us". Xenons are great, best lights I've ever had. Get heated seats. I didn't, wish I had.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr
Well he did say most who have the xenons, not all. I have them and will not buy another car without them, period. Looking through numerous posts here on NAM regarding the subject, consensus seems to be about the same. I don't have driving lights and haven't heard of anyone doing tests, but I cannot imagine that they are brighter than xenons with high beams turned on. Astonishingly bright. Granted the low beam cutoff can take some getting used to, but it's not at all a problem for me. Not to mention they look amazing on the MINI even while turned off, come with auto-leveling and washers, and add to resale value which is always a plus in my book.

Last edited by Msteadman; 12-18-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:59 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
I'm just sayin', xenons aren't necessarily the "must-have" option that most make them out to be. They've got their pros and cons, and they aren't ideal for everyone.

I agree with the heated seats though. I had them before, didn't order them this time and I'm regretting it big-time.