R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 recall/update?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:41 AM
atanaka749
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 recall/update?

Hi all: I just got a call re: my R56 and been informed that I have to take it in to the dealer for some updates...something about the 'cooling fan' and CD changer. Anyone else have this sort of thing come up? Also, I'm at 6500 miles and wondering if I should request a 1st oil change along with this service. I'm hearing different answers to this question...does anyone know when the 1st oil change is recommended? So far, I'm hearing opposing views on this issue...'wait for the light to come on', 'do it before 5000 miles', etc...anyone have thoughts on this? THANKS!

Old 10-24-2007, 07:45 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do the first oil when YOU feel it should be done. If you believe BMW's engineers then go ahead and wait until the scheduled time. If you feel that it MUST be changed early and often, then go ahead and do that.

My 2003 MCS got the first oil change as scheduled and runs stronger than most. My wife's 2006 Cooper got an early oil change at around 5000 miles and has not had a single reason to go to the dealer except for routine maintenance.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:29 AM
07chilired
5th Gear
MINI says the first oil change should be at 15,000 miles....seems a little high to me, so I get mine done every 7,500. Although, if you do it before the recommended change by MINI, then you have to pay for it.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:02 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by atanaka749
Hi all: I just got a call re: my R56 and been informed that I have to take it in to the dealer for some updates...something about the 'cooling fan' and CD changer. Anyone else have this sort of thing come up? Also, I'm at 6500 miles and wondering if I should request a 1st oil change along with this service. I'm hearing different answers to this question...does anyone know when the 1st oil change is recommended? So far, I'm hearing opposing views on this issue...'wait for the light to come on', 'do it before 5000 miles', etc...anyone have thoughts on this? THANKS!
interesting on the cooling fan... could it be a possible fix to the 200 degree hoods that people are complaining about?

Old 10-24-2007, 06:35 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
If my oil is low but on the very low end of the acceptable range, should I add a 1/2 quart or so. Is it something to do with the turbo, running hot, etc. Can I get the oil from Pep Boys?. The oil is pretty dark compared to when I checked it when I bought the car. Thanks

Old 10-24-2007, 08:08 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ghosthound
interesting on the cooling fan... could it be a possible fix to the 200 degree hoods that people are complaining about?
There is an issue with the fuse that's hooked to the fan in some of the UK cars. Somthing about it popping too easily and leading to some pretty hot engine bays. Their probably just going to be putting in a different one.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
...something about the 'cooling fan' and CD changer. ..
atanaka749 - Please report back with what problem they are addressing regarding the cooling fan. I'm interested what wrong with the CD changer as well.

Thanks,
Jinxy

Old 10-24-2007, 08:22 PM
mattbren
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jinxy
atanaka749 - Please report back with what problem they are addressing regarding the cooling fan. I'm interested what wrong with the CD changer as well.

Thanks,
Jinxy
Mine was recalled for what the dealer described as an issue with the CD changer. Only thing is... I don't have a CD changer. Turns out it was to install the missing secret compartment above the glove box where a CD changer would go.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:27 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is yours a Cooper? My SA said this only applies to the MC. (I'm not sure I believe her.)

Old 10-24-2007, 08:38 PM
BritBoy
3rd Gear
Yep, its to install the parts for the secret compartment, they told me when I took mine in for an oil change.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:54 PM
bluesmini
6th Gear
thinking that your oil can last 15,000 miles is silly. it can't. If you want your car to last longer than the warranty please get at least mid-interval oil changes at your expense. Also please get your new cars oil changed after the break-in period. if you track your car (road course not auto-X) change it at least every two events. Here is where i send my oil when i change it. It's a lab that will analyse your oil and tell you what is good and bad about it. the test kit is free and they charge 22 bucks for the results.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Knowledge is power!

Old 10-25-2007, 07:22 AM
motoringinpa
Neutral
I am really confused. I thought that the synthetic oil gave you the ability to go longer periods of time between changes.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:31 AM
eeterp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by amazonracer
If my oil is low but on the very low end of the acceptable range, should I add a 1/2 quart or so. Is it something to do with the turbo, running hot, etc. Can I get the oil from Pep Boys?. The oil is pretty dark compared to when I checked it when I bought the car. Thanks
yes, you certainly can add oil to keep it between the 'full' and 'low' marks.
yes, you can buy oil from Pep boys. Castrol synth or Mobile 1 are the preferred brands.
How many miles do you have? Oil gets darker with wear.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:51 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
I'm at 6500 miles and wondering if I should request a 1st oil change along with this service. I'm hearing different answers to this question...does anyone know when the 1st oil change is recommended? So far, I'm hearing opposing views on this issue...'wait for the light to come on', 'do it before 5000 miles', etc...anyone have thoughts on this? THANKS!
Everybody has an opinion on this. And they're all different. Here's mine:

The first oil change is the most important. You have a new engine, and as clean as a mfg facility can be, there'll be stuff that gets in or appears during breakin that even the best manufacturers can't avoid. I would usually do a change right after breakin, but didn't get to it till 3,400 miles.

My intention is to do changes probably once between the free maintenance ones. According to MINI, if you have an unscheduled change done, they will NOT reset the counter, so you won't be waiting for 15,000 miles to get your next free change if you do it (but to be safe, if you have it done at a dealer, I would specifically request they don't reset the counter).

Other than that it's really up to you as to what you feel is appropriate. Are you a spirited driver? Do you sit in traffic a lot? Live in a dusty area?

If you DIY, in my opinion there's no reason to run out and get $10 a quart fancy oil. I just bought Castrol Syntec 5w30 (which is MINI recommended) for about $4.65 a quart on sale. Filters should run <$12 for OEM kits with oring and crush ring (Classic MINI, Morristown MINI) or get your local dealer to match their price.

Hope this helps

Old 10-25-2007, 10:52 AM
going4speed
4th Gear
+1

What do you think the oil change interval would be if BMW were not paying for it? Food for thought.

I get my oil samples done by blackstone and do it every time. Because of this I am on a 6000 mile oil change on my current car and they tell me I can probably go to 7000 at the most. Synthetic Royal purple on a dodge srt-4, turbo.

I will be doing 3000 mile oil changes on the cooper till 20k then MAYBE move it out to 6000 miles dependant on what the oil records show.

Originally Posted by bluesmini
thinking that your oil can last 15,000 miles is silly. it can't. If you want your car to last longer than the warranty please get at least mid-interval oil changes at your expense. Also please get your new cars oil changed after the break-in period. if you track your car (road course not auto-X) change it at least every two events. Here is where i send my oil when i change it. It's a lab that will analyse your oil and tell you what is good and bad about it. the test kit is free and they charge 22 bucks for the results.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Knowledge is power!

Old 10-27-2007, 02:13 PM
Jamesy Boy
Neutral
Originally Posted by msh441
There is an issue with the fuse that's hooked to the fan in some of the UK cars. Somthing about it popping too easily and leading to some pretty hot engine bays. Their probably just going to be putting in a different one.
Hi there, new member here!

The cooling fan recall is to replace the 30 Amp fan fuse with a 40 Amp one. The load of the fan motor has been known to exceed 30 Amps, blowing the fuse. This happened to my wife's MC just 2 months after delivery.

Luckily, she noticed the aircon wasn't cold, and when I checked the cooling fan wasn't coming on and the the compressor was cycling off after 10 seconds. I found the fuse in the electrical center near under the bonnet (hood) had blown.

The lack of a temperature gauge on the R56 probably explains why some cars have been getting rather hot because of this problem!

They also checked the routing of some other under bonnet wiring as part of the recall.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamesy Boy
Hi there, new member here!

The cooling fan recall is to replace the 30 Amp fan fuse with a 40 Amp one. The load of the fan motor has been known to exceed 30 Amps, blowing the fuse. This happened to my wife's MC just 2 months after delivery.
If the load is much higher than 30, I'd be worried about the wiring. Fuses are normally sized based on wire gauge. Seems like a fire waiting to happen if they are upping the fuse size and not changing the wire, unless they had already used large enough wire and put a smaller 30 amp fuse on it.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:05 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Didn't the R53 or R50 have problems with engine compartment fires?