R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Hypersport Body Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:59 PM
slvgmini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hypersport Body Kit

Hi, I am new to this sight, I had a question that maybe one of you could answer. I ordered the Hypersport package, I know that the wheel arches are not painted, is there a way to add some sort of flat black vinyl to extend the black of the arches to the body kit?

Old 11-02-2007, 05:25 PM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
you can probably do it yourself once you take delivery, or have it painted. hypersport package is cool in theory, but the body kit isn't the best design. but i haven't seen it in person, maybe it'll look better in real life

Old 11-02-2007, 05:37 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
although this is my opinion... the hypersport kit is quite hideous without painted arches... even then its not that great looking.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:09 AM
TopGunner
2nd Gear
Love the HyperSport look!

Originally Posted by ghosthound
although this is my opinion... the hypersport kit is quite hideous without painted arches... even then its not that great looking.

Dude, I have to disagree with you - the HyperSport package looks incredibly sweet on the R56. I ordered mine on 8/27, picked it up two weeks ago (10/20)! Every time I look at it, I say WOW!

You really need to see it in person - I had 2nd thoughts every time I looked at it online. The front and back look fantastic!

Just my 2 cents... well OK, just my $25K!

TopGunner!

Old 11-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Spectral Glider
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TopGunner
Dude, I have to disagree with you - the HyperSport package looks incredibly sweet on the R56. I ordered mine on 8/27, picked it up two weeks ago (10/20)! Every time I look at it, I say WOW!

You really need to see it in person - I had 2nd thoughts every time I looked at it online. The front and back look fantastic!

Just my 2 cents... well OK, just my $25K!

TopGunner!
Same here, I absolutely love the look. I wouldn't dream of trying to add black vinyl to it, but that's just me.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:08 PM
wetceal
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TopGunner
I agree wholeheartedly!! I LOVE the Hypersport kit

Old 11-04-2007, 06:49 AM
PmP
1st Gear
Any more fotos of that wetceal? Looks stunning, the promo pictures of that kit looked rubbish.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:49 AM
kevshootz
3rd Gear
I love the kit as well, and had mine painted the day after I picked it up. In fact, I like the kit better than the JCW kit. My opinion is to paint the arches the same color as the car, otherwise it looks terrible.

At the same time, I had the black on the side mirrors painted, as well as the columns in between the side windows and the front and back windows. It came as a glossy black panel.

Look at my Gallery. I have a ton of pics up there. or click on the link in the signature header.

:-)

Last edited by kevshootz; 11-04-2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Big K
2nd Gear
I totally agree it looks good so I ordered mine with it. Iv'e seen alot of 56's on the road here and none of them with the aero kit, so I think I will have somthing unique.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Lateral G
2nd Gear
Other than the arch thing, the hypersport has the cleanest lines, IMHO. I got astro black, and was going to get the arches painted, but they blend in well enough. I've seen many pictures of painted arch hypersports, and they look sweet.

If you do get them painted, spend the money to do it right -- with the plastic sanded smooth and flex agent in the paint.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:10 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I honestly don't see what you guys see in this kit.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:06 PM
sancochojoe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr
I honestly don't see what you guys see in this kit.
Me too...sorry, I just not see it as well. Maybe I'm missing something.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:20 PM
wetceal
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PmP
Any more fotos of that wetceal? Looks stunning, the promo pictures of that kit looked rubbish.
Here are a few more photos. There's lots more in my gallery of the car with the Hypersport kit in different phases (when we first picked it up from the dealership, after we changed the wheels, after we lowered it, etc.)...

Old 11-04-2007, 02:23 PM
wetceal
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sancochojoe
Me too...sorry, I just not see it as well. Maybe I'm missing something.
No need to apologize - it's just not your thing and that's okay! To each, his own - right? That's what I find to be so great about Minis...you can customize almost everything to your own personal taste and the only thing that matter is that YOU are happy with it!

I really like the JCW aero kit too but I find that so many people have it. I like the Hypersport as a welcomed alternative. It isn't stock and stands apart from the aero kit too. I just can't wait for my painted fender arches!

Old 11-04-2007, 02:25 PM
wetceal
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kevshootz
At the same time, I had the black on the side mirrors painted, as well as the columns in between the side windows and the front and back windows. It came as a glossy black panel.
That's an awesome car! I saw a photo of it before but didn't notice that the side mirrors and the columns were painted body color until just now! I like it!

Old 11-04-2007, 02:28 PM
sancochojoe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wetceal
No need to apologize - it's just not your thing and that's okay! To each, his own - right? That's what I find to be so great about Minis...you can customize almost everything to your own personal taste and the only thing that matter is that YOU are happy with it!

I really like the JCW aero kit too but I find that so many people have it. I like the Hypersport as a welcomed alternative. It isn't stock and stands apart from the aero kit too. I just can't wait for my painted fender arches!

For me I hardly see any minis with kits at all. I've never seen a JCW kit in the Washington DC area except at the dealership. Everyone around here appears to go with the standard look so a JCW kit would stand out and i'm sure your kit would too since I never see neither. I think the kit is missing something and I don't know what it is. I don't hate it...I just think its missing something.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:32 PM
wetceal
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sancochojoe
I think the kit is missing something and I don't know what it is. I don't hate it...I just think its missing something.
I think it's missing painted fenders. I wish Mini would offer that option but for some reason they don't. I've seen a few pictures of the Hypersport kit with painted fenders and I think they look really smooth with the painted fenders...

Old 11-04-2007, 07:27 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Its missing continuity in general. Its missing wheel arches that continue onto the bumpers and skirts. Its the skirts that kill it for me. They just dont flow at all, and that, in return, makes the arches look sorely out of place.

To me, it looks like MINI half assed this kit. You shouldnt need to pay extra money just to make an official MINI kit look presentable IMO. The front and rear bumpers do look nice though.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:03 PM
LannyMCS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wetceal
I think it's missing painted fenders.
I agree. When MINI first released the dealer-installed Aero Kit for 1st gens, there were a few cars that had them painted incorrectly; the entire side skirt and front bumper were painted all body color, instead of finishing off the arch. Everybody laughed at these jobs, usually done by body shops that weren't familiar with MINIs; I never saw anyone say they liked it.

When the promo pics for the Hypersport Aero kit were shown, the reaction was the same. I personally couldn't believe MINI was going to sell the car like this. It looked so bad that I really didn't even bother to look at the rest of the kit.

Then, a couple of months ago, I was at my dealer and mentioned this fact to my MA, who said that it wasn't as bad in person and darker colors kind of hid it. When he said it didn't look that bad on the GP I was stunned; I never even noticed that about the GP. The LiB R56 with the Hypersport package in the showroom also looked decent to me.

So, now that I've taken the time to look at the design of the front end, the skirts, the rear, I have to agree that overall, on darker colors, it's pretty good.

But more importantly, with painted arches, it's a great way to have a unique look without resorting to an expensive full-kit paint job.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:55 PM
bgregg
2nd Gear
Here is a link to more pictures, some with the painted arches included. When my delivery finally happens, I'll post pics of the LiB version with painted arches.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=115932

Old 11-05-2007, 03:28 PM
slvgmini
1st Gear
Wetseal, the hypersport looks really nice with the black OZs. The color combination I ordered is the same as yous. Thanks for posting pics.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:59 PM
wetceal
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr
You shouldnt need to pay extra money just to make an official MINI kit look presentable IMO. The front and rear bumpers do look nice though.
I agree with both sentences above. You really shouldn't have to pay extra to make a body kit you purchased from Mini look complete. Although, the aero kit doesn't come assembled so you have to pay extra for that and it's not painted so that's extra too (although I think the aero kit looks good black)...

I really do like the bumpers though - especially the back ones more so than the back end of the aero kit.

Originally Posted by LannyMCS
When he said it didn't look that bad on the GP I was stunned; I never even noticed that about the GP.
When you said this, I went and looked at photos of the GP again and sure enough, it has unpainted, plastic black fenders surrounded by painted body. I never noticed this either until I read your post! And you're MA's right, it doesn't look bad on the GP.

Originally Posted by slvgmini
Wetseal, the hypersport looks really nice with the black OZs. The color combination I ordered is the same as yous. Thanks for posting pics.
Thanks! I can't wait to see yours. GREAT color choice by the way

Old 11-06-2007, 11:39 AM
quemas
2nd Gear
I'm for painting the flares, but it may just be the car color. Mine looked entirely different after the dealer painted mine. (He sent me before and after pics)

Attached Thumbnails Hypersport Body Kit-hypersport.jpg  
Old 11-06-2007, 11:45 AM
wetceal
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by quemas
I'm for painting the flares, but it may just be the car color. Mine looked entirely different after the dealer painted mine. (He sent me before and after pics)
WOW, that looks great!!

Old 11-06-2007, 11:47 AM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
it actually does look pretty good. what other stuff goes in the hyper sport package?

b/t this and the jcw aerokit, i have to say i still like the jcw one better. but it def. looks a lot better than the picture in miniusa's configurator

Quick Reply: R56 Hypersport Body Kit