R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 DSC and SS questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 01:29 AM
LazyT
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DSC and SS questions?

In my never ending quest to build a fun 2008 MCS without too many options, I need some input on what options are really necessary. This will be my 2nd. car, so I'm trying to keep the price down.

I will probably choose CR/B or PW/B to save $500, plus I like these combos alot. I will definitely option the LSD; 17" Crown Spokes (might later opt for OZ Matte Graphite Silver Ultraleggeras); Multi-function steering wheel for the cruise control; and the sunroof (my wife's input) as ala carte options. Thus, my questions for those in the know?

(1) SS- I am thinking of holding off on the Sports Suspension and maybe later adding a little aftermarket suspension items. How necessary is it to have the SS from the outset?

(2) DSC- how necessary is the DSC? I'll probably add a couple of Alta performance mods later. I've noticed that many of the MCS that my local dealer has in stock weren't ordered with the DSC.

Thanks for your input.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:37 AM
scabpicker
3rd Gear
I'd have to say, having a car that can handle like the MINI can take some getting used to, even more so with the SS. I have had once or twice when I panicked on the freeway, and being used to cars with much less sensitive steering, jerked the wheel in order to avoid debris. In the middle of this maneuver, I found myself sliding sideways on the freeway. I'd like to say that my driving skill had something to do with my straightening out and continuing on unscathed, without leaving my lane no less. In reality, I believe it might have had something to do with the DSC.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:17 AM
glangford
6th Gear
DSC, definite yes. SS - if you like a harsher ride.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:49 AM
Diploman
3rd Gear
Standard Suspension is Fine

I ordered my 2007 MCS with standard suspension and have found this setup for street use and spirited backroads driving. The standard suspension is firm and well-damped, providing excellent wheel control while at the same time being compliant and relatively comfortable. This makes the car a more viable option for long-distance highway cruising, among other things.

I replaced my OEM 16" Bridgespokes and all-season runflats with OZ Ultraleggeras and 205/50/16 General UHP Exclaims, a lightweight combination which shaves about 13 lbs. from each corner. With a car as light as the MINI, reducing unsprung weight makes a significant and very perceptible difference in suspension performance. With the OZ/Exclaim setup, the car is less skittish over rippled pavement, has less torque steer, is more compliant and simply better controlled than with the OEM wheels and tires. In fact, a large reduction in unsprung weight has the effect of a suspension upgrade in that less unsprung mass allows the standard shocks to better control wheel movement. With the aftermarket wheels and tires, I now feel absolutely no need for sports suspension or any other suspension upgrades, which I might have considered with the OEM wheels/tires. If I had wanted to track the car or do Auto-X, then I probably would have optioned SS. But for non-track use, with a set of lightweight wheels and non-runflats, the standard suspension is more than satisfactory, in my experience.

DSC, in the opinion of many including myself, is an essential safety option. The computer-directed DSC differential braking operates instantaneously - far quicker than any human driver could manage- and is very effective at recovering from skids and other loss-of traction situations. If it saves you one time over the lifespan of the car it is entirely worth the modest price.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:52 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DSC--yes, SS---no.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Bor
3rd Gear
I got the SS and absolutely love it (I had a 05 Cooper with Koni FSDs before), but if you plan to go aftermarket soon, I would skip it - I had the similar dillemma and decided I'd like to go SS for a couple of years and then upgrade to JCW or coilovers (main reason to wait - cost for the first and the warranty and cost (any suspension work is expensive) for the second.

Last edited by Bor; 11-03-2007 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:37 AM
chili_red07
5th Gear
If your on a budget then yes DSC... you can always go aftermarket for suspension later.

Plus, DSC is a button that can be turned off during "spirited driving" if so desired.

Last edited by chili_red07; 11-04-2007 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:45 PM
byhsu
4th Gear
Ye on DSC. No on SS. I didn't get it and was indecisive about it for a really long time. My MA told me the ride is harsher and the car handles really good without it already. I am glad I didn't pay extra. Now I am getting lowering springs and an HR 19mm Rear Sway bar. Is about as much as the sport suspension, but with the added benefit of having a lowered stance. So I am glad I didn't pay for an 0ption that I would change anyways.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:15 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
If you drive your car: SS yes DSC no
If you steer your car: SS no DSC yes

Apologies if I pissed anyone off.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by phantasms

The thing about DSC is that it can do things no human can. I think the macho attitude about not having DSC is misguided. If you want to turn it off for specific events or effects, you can. However, I don't think you can add it later.

You can add suspension mods later as you see what you want from the car. After market offers a variety of options to build your suspension just the way you want it.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:24 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
The thing about DSC is that it can do things no human can. I think the macho attitude about not having DSC is misguided. If you want to turn it off for specific events or effects, you can. However, I don't think you can add it later.

You can add suspension mods later as you see what you want from the car. After market offers a variety of options to build your suspension just the way you want it.

spot on, DSC i would think can not be added on later while with suspension, your wallet is your limit. I would also go for the LSD, something that the after market has not touched on yet, or AFAIK... even if they did, be prepared to pay an additional 1500 to install it after the fact so for 500 now, i would say its a bargain!

Old 11-03-2007, 04:55 PM
curtis0407
2nd Gear
DSC - Yes. You can't add this feature later (at least, not simply).

SS - You can always modify your suspension at a later time.
Drive your MCS for a while and see if a sportier suspension might improve YOUR car personally, keeping in mind that there are A LOT of different combos and choices out their for suspension mods. Just my .02...

Old 11-03-2007, 05:06 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
DSC-safety.
SS - fun but if you're gonna mod....don't waste the money.
H&R+19mm < $500.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:36 PM
LazyT
3rd Gear
Thanks for all of the helpful responses.

I will opt for the DSC and forgo the SS. That will only add $500 to my order for the 2008 MCS.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FWIW, I consider myself a good driver, have been trained on the track, and am confident that I can control my car in most any situation.

That being said, I STILL am a strong believer in DSC. As said above, it can do things that no human can do. In spirited driving, DSC has never slowed me down and I have only noticed it working when I KNOW I have made a mistake. Macho types who feel that DSC kicks in too often during spirited driving are not driving smoothly.

Most of the time I am NOT driving spirited and feel that DSC is an excellent safety backup when the unexpected event occurs and I might not be as alert as I would be when really concentrating on driving. These are the times when DSC can really save your butt.

If you've ever had one side of your MINI hit an unexpected deep puddle at highway speeds, you know how DSC keeps the car going straight when the laws of physics desperately want to send the car out of control.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:00 AM
burack
2nd Gear
what we can count as a negative effect of dsc is:

it cuts the throttle during very heavy acceleration in 1st-2nd gears

but it has a great advantage that no body can do as mentioned above. it can apply brake to only one-wheel or only two-wheels or even three at the same time. what a very good driver is capable of is: apply brakes (this stops all 4 wheels at the same time) or apply hand-brake (maybe locks rear two wheels) and thats it. Dsc is the definite way to go, and in Turkey, all minis come equipped with dsc standart.
But if i were you, i would get the standart susp. and if possible get 15 wheels to change them as soon as u can coz the runflats are the worst i've ever seen.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:46 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
FWIW, I consider myself a good driver, have been trained on the track, and am confident that I can control my car in most any situation.

That being said, I STILL am a strong believer in DSC.
Yep. When I bought my Cooper, I thought, "I've been autocrossing for 10 years, and can drive just fine - I don't need DSC." But in retrospect, that was pretty stupid I'll buy it on my next car.

On a closed course, any street-oriented version of DSC is really unnecessary or even useless - but in everyday driving, where you may be distracted or something unexpected could happen, stability control can be a life saver.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:40 AM
symphosomatic
2nd Gear
The Sports Suspension is great. Can you get a better after-market package? Sure. But by the time you've purchases springs and a sway bar and any other option you're thinking of you'll be spending way more money. I say go for the SS if you're looking for a great ride. It's worth it!

Old 11-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by phantasms

+1

Take the $500 saved & do a couple of drivers schools. IMO the schools are more bang for the buck.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:00 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by burack
what we can count as a negative effect of dsc is:

it cuts the throttle during very heavy acceleration in 1st-2nd gears
Common misconception, but it's not the DSC that's doing that - it's the ASC+T that's chopping the throttle, and ASC+T is a standard feature on all MINIs - you couldn't get one without it if you tried.

People mistakenly blame the DSC for cutting the throttle, because when they press the "DSC OFF" button, the "problem" goes away. The reason for this is that manually turning the DSC off *also* turns off ASC+T.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:30 AM
byhsu
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Common misconception, but it's not the DSC that's doing that - it's the ASC+T that's chopping the throttle, and ASC+T is a standard feature on all MINIs - you couldn't get one without it if you tried.

People mistakenly blame the DSC for cutting the throttle, because when they press the "DSC OFF" button, the "problem" goes away. The reason for this is that manually turning the DSC off *also* turns off ASC+T.
Very good point. The DSC button will turn off the ASC+T too. If you are choosing between the SS and the DSC, Definitely go for the DSC. If later you feel that the suspension is not stiff enough, you can always change it. You won't be able to add the DSC later on, if you didn't choose it in the first place.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:23 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by byhsu
Very good point. The DSC button will turn off the ASC+T too. If you are choosing between the SS and the DSC, Definitely go for the DSC. If later you feel that the suspension is not stiff enough, you can always change it. You won't be able to add the DSC later on, if you didn't choose it in the first place.
I totally agree. SS is not worth $500. DSC definitely is.

I leave my AST+TC on all the time but I have noticed the tires still make squealing sound in dotted line like pattern when I start off aggressively. I love it.

Regarding someone else's 15" wheel comment.... r56 MCS brakes are too big for 15" wheels.