R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 ALTA Turbo-back Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Li'l Red's Rider
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALTA Turbo-back Installed!

Li'l Red is now a baritone instead of a tenor! Installed the turbo-back last nite, sounds good! Idle is quiet but throaty, cruise is quiet, but crack the throttle, and he sings! Only objection is some resonance somewhere around 3k. The butt dyno shows a marked improvement in torque. Took 5 hours to install, but I was not in a hurry. It was kinda fun!

As far as the installation went, here is what I ran into:

The turbo/downpipe heat shields are a pain! The upper heat shield is easy to remove, but if you do this yourself, here'a tip- the lower left (facing the engine) screw does not have to be completely removed, the heat shield has a slot there, and can be slid up if the screw is backed off. I took the wiring bracket loose adjacent to this screw, so I could get this screw out, not knowing the heat shield had a slot.

The 4 screws for the lower heat shield are not too bad, the lower ones are easy, but it is a little difficult to find the upper ones. I was using 3/8" drive tools, 1/4" drive would have given more clearance to work. You just have to be patient.

The ALTA instructions references removing the lower heat shield completely,from the bottom. I couldn't, because of hitting the alternator and an A/C hose, and I didn't want to bend the heat shield. Also, BE SURE to disconnect the battery! The ALTA instructions do not include this step, but I found out the hard way, when wiggling the lower heat shield around, and it shorted against a wire on the alternator. Luckily, no damage done, just a small arc. It is not necessary to completely remove the lower heat shield, anyway.

Once the turbo flange nuts and the downpipe brackets were removed, it was easy to remove the stock downpipe, manipulating the lower heat shield and the downpipe at the same time, working the down pipe out the bottom.

The ALTA instructions recommend installing the new downpipe from the bottom, but I found it easy to put it from the top, again, manipulating the heatshield as I went.

Once I barely snugged up the nuts on the turbo flange, to ensure the flange fit flat, the lower bracket fit up easily. I installed the bolts and nuts, and tightened every thing for a no-stress fit.

The installation of the rear downpipe and the cat-back was a breeze, following the ALTA instructions. I snugged the clamps, rotated the pipes for perfect alignment, and tightened everything down. The resonator was a little close to the underbody heat shield, but it only took some judicious hand pressure to bend the shield and allow ample clearance.

The lower heat shield was a pain again on re-installation, but patience paid off. The heat shield actually contacted the downpipe tightly, but there is no rattles.

The black body brace behind the new resonator fit perfectly, no clearance problems or modification.

Put the upper heat shield in place, discovered that the port for the 02 sensor was covered, due to a difference in location. Marked the heat shield with a Sharpie, removed it, cut the offending material with snips, and grinded the cut to a nice, smooth radius, leaving just enough clearance for the O2 sensor wrench.

Finished installing the heat shield, O2 sensors, re-connected the battery, and fired up Li'l Red to check for leaks, rattles, etc. All ok, and sounds good!

Over all, the installation went smoothly except for the heat shields, this is where I spent the overwhelming majority of time. If I did it again, it would be quicker and easier.

I will wait a couple of days before feeling the results, in case the ECU needs to adjust itself to a new curve. Is this the case? Can someone fill me in on that?

Old 12-01-2007, 08:32 AM
scott48
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have it as well and have had it on for many miles now....you will love it!!

Old 12-01-2007, 03:48 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Congrats!

Old 12-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Li'l Red's Rider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by r56mini
Congrats!
I did a little motoring today, it was fun as always. I found that I am having to learn Li'l Red's new voice. My old driving style (throttle control, shift points) didn't work too well with the new exhaust, it was too loud, and blatty at times . I am now getting a feel for Li'l Reds new voice, and it is much better. In a week I will know how to make those pipes talk! I'll tell you what....opening the throttle at 4k will give you goose pimples, it sounds so good! After an hour or so of cruising, I engaged in some "spirited" driving. This new exhaust made the Butt Dyno smile! Stopped in at an old store in Gold Hill, here is a pic.

Attached Thumbnails ALTA Turbo-back Installed!-picture7web.jpg  
Old 12-01-2007, 06:09 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
How about a butt shot?

Old 12-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Li'l Red's Rider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by r56mini
How about a butt shot?
Here's the best I can do for now.

Attached Thumbnails ALTA Turbo-back Installed!-altacatbackweb.jpg   ALTA Turbo-back Installed!-picture2web.jpg  
Old 12-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Mrono
3rd Gear
congrats, that is one sexy sexy car.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:28 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
car butt envy.