R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Special Windshield Wiper Fluid Required?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 03:01 PM
bobquin
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Special Windshield Wiper Fluid Required?

My 2007 R56 MINI has the cold weather package, so the windshield wiper fluid is heated. Now that I have to refill the fluid for the first time, can I just use the plain blue fluid, or is there a special "heat-friendly" fluid that should be used?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-11-2007, 03:08 PM
russr
5th Gear
The windsheild washer jets are heated so they don't freeze up. The washer fluid itself is not heated.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:19 PM
jggimi
3rd Gear
I use the orange junk that I got at a local auto supply chain store -- It works better at low temps than the "blue stuff" you get at gas stations.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
When my car was delivered my MA said I have to use 'special washer fluid' since I have the cold weather package and it 'heats up'.

Is this total B.S. or what? I haven't seen a special part number or anything for this 'special fluid'. And now that it seems I have experience the weeping issue for the first time, I'd like to use something that won't stain or damage the paint or stripes.

What are other people using with the cold weather package?

Old 03-21-2008, 10:46 AM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, you need to use a bottle of Chateau Mouton-Rothschild. I recommend the '82.
It's just washer fluid! Get the 99-cent jugs from the discount store. If you live somewhere where it frezes, make sure it's a formula for below frezing weather. Other than that, buy whatever color you like!

Old 03-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
hmm, I was pretty sure my MA was full of it but it doesn't hurt to ask...this damn car is so needy and annoyingly quirky I wanted to be sure....

I personally like the orange stuff...maybe it will help with the streaking issues (along with applying aquapel and changing my oem wipers).

At this point the washer fluid is the least of my concerns....sigh...

Old 03-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of our local independant shops that only works on BMW's and MINIs has suggested Mercedes Benz washer solvent; it comes in a tube that you mix with distilled water. Won't leave residue on the bonnett, etc.
I haven't tried it yet; 21,000 miles and I still have some original in there.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The washer is "heated" to like 55 degrees (F, that is). It's not like you are throwing something in a kiln.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:34 PM
locogringo
3rd Gear
They gave me a bottle of windshield washer antifreeze. You mix it with water at different concentrations depending on expected ambient temperature. It is in a MINI labeled bottle.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Quesera
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Ambrosia

At this point the washer fluid is the least of my concerns....sigh...
Is everything okay, Ambrosia?

Old 03-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Quesera
Is everything okay, Ambrosia?
lol..yeah, don't mind me! Just a little grumpy at work today as I peruse NAM for answers to some of my concerns and questions. I'm still getting used to little Ambrosia but have been noticing some disconcerting 'quirks' here and there as I reach 3300 miles in almost 2 months of ownership.

I think I just need a vacation...you're out in San Antonio I see! I have been dying to go back to SA and Austin since I visited in 2006. I'm hoping the bf and I can get back out there sometime this summer....I really loved it when I was out there!

Old 03-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Quesera
5th Gear
Hang in there, Ambrosia. We've just passed 400 or so miles. I know the quirks, squeaks, and oddities will be coming.

Let us know if y'all make it down to San Antonio.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:55 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ambrosia
Is this total B.S. or what? I haven't seen a special part number or anything for this 'special fluid'. And now that it seems I have experience the weeping issue for the first time, I'd like to use something that won't stain or damage the paint or stripes.

What are other people using with the cold weather package?
The weeping thing is totally different from the fluid type--those that weep have done so from the start, with the OEM fluid. Not all have the problem. Go to your dealer and get the check valve that stops this. If your SA professes no knowledge, refer him/her to the several threads on NAM. One of them even has the part number, IIRC.

I use the blue stuff--99 cents--and haven't had a problem. I don't live in freezing weather. I do have the cold weather package, but that's only because I wanted the bun warmers.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
The weeping thing is totally different from the fluid type--those that weep have done so from the start, with the OEM fluid. Not all have the problem. Go to your dealer and get the check valve that stops this. If your SA professes no knowledge, refer him/her to the several threads on NAM. One of them even has the part number, IIRC.

I use the blue stuff--99 cents--and haven't had a problem. I don't live in freezing weather. I do have the cold weather package, but that's only because I wanted the bun warmers.

yup i definitely know the weeping issue is independent of fluid type (but since finding a popped hood scoop and the first incidence of weeping I want to prevent any possible staining until I get this resolved). I'm still using the oem stuff the dealer put in. I just remember my MA saying not to use normal fluid (among other silly things like not trying to change my own oil...lol). I'm partial to the orange stuff although I have also tried the 303 instant windshield washer tablets (trying to be eco-conscious) in my previous car. I'm also hoping it improves the windshield streaking when I use the oem fluid and wipers (and now I have to find some decent wipers...the spending $$$ and fun never end!).

Old 03-21-2008, 03:20 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
You're still in warranty--the dealer will replace them free.

As for the stripes, I've heard that the stain won't come out. I can't say myself, as I never had the problem.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:43 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
I like the 99 cent stuff because it's probably 99% water and a little blue dye. I'm not a big fan of washer fluid that promises to perform miracles on my windshield for $4-$5 per gallon. I bet plain water would work nearly as well.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:48 PM
jggimi
3rd Gear
In winter, 'round here, the blue juice will freeze solid to the windshield in moments, before dawn or after dusk. You get a nice sheen of ice where before you may just have had a little snow. The orange stuff (Rain-X brand is the stuff I've been buying) doesn't have this problem. The blue juice is usually rated -25F and the orange -50F. Does it get that cold? No, but the moment it mixes with any water (ice/snow) *on* the windshield, those numbers degrade rapidly. It does get -10F here mid-winter, overnight.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:43 AM
ubdylan
3rd Gear
Any fluid will work.

Just remember to never clean your windscreen when you are in motion. That is discourteous to the guy behind you that just cleaned his car and is now screaming at you because you hosed his front end.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:27 PM
LUCK219
5th Gear
Is there a button to turn the heat on or does it automatically come on when needed like the heated mirrors?

Old 03-25-2008, 05:30 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ubdylan
Any fluid will work.

Just remember to never clean your windscreen when you are in motion. That is discourteous to the guy behind you that just cleaned his car and is now screaming at you because you hosed his front end.
OTOH, I've heard of people (on NAM, no less!), who wash their REAR window to make tailgaters back off. Haven't used it myself, and I don't think it would be too helpful with the 18-wheelers. Anyone else I don't even notice in Houston traffic.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:39 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The orange stuff makes suds and a friggin mess on your windshield and paint.

The blue stuff is much "cleaner" to use.

Personally, I don't use any wiper fluid unless the windshield is really cruddy (winter, when the salt trucks are out). I prefer to wait until I get home and use the Prima Clarity and glass cloth, which I do just about every single day.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:20 PM
ANT818
3rd Gear
I tried the Rain-x. What a mess. Never again. Blue all the way.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:36 PM
LUCK219
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ANT818
I tried the Rain-x. What a mess. Never again. Blue all the way.
haha, mental note - blue is better. =)

Old 03-25-2008, 08:13 PM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
You're still in warranty--the dealer will replace them free.

As for the stripes, I've heard that the stain won't come out. I can't say myself, as I never had the problem.
yeah...the dealer can shove the craptastic oem wipers where the sun don't shine...lol

thoroughly cleaning (was too cold to clay bar) the windshield and applying aquapel has worked wonders so far on the windshield streaking issue but the oem wipers have got to go. unfortunately people are experiencing uneven wiper coverage with a few of the aftermarket models (what the heck is up with the way the windshield is curved/designed?) but it's still a major improvement.

I am pretty obsessive about my ability to see clearly out of my windshield at all times and in all types of weather so I'm ready to test out all the recommended wipers if necessary...lol.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
Originally Posted by LUCK219
Is there a button to turn the heat on or does it automatically come on when needed like the heated mirrors?
the heated washer jets? they should automatically heat up as the mirrors do.

Quick Reply: R56 Special Windshield Wiper Fluid Required?