R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Eliminating the double-pull door unlock

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:37 AM
MontanaMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greengobln
my friends are probably retarded but it happens.
Yes, having retarded friends is a problem that happens to me a lot, too....

Old 02-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Modnar
6th Gear
My E36 BMW autolocked/autounlocked, but my (newer) E90 loaner acts just like the R56 (autolock/double pull to unlock).

I still can't understand the motivation, unless carjackers were lying in wait for people to turn off their BMW/MINIs and then opening the door when it autounlocked, throwing the driver out, and horking their car.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:03 PM
SuwaneeM3
3rd Gear
What I cant figure out is...

How can you actually whine about the nuances of a unique car ... like having to double pull to unlock... or the turn signal doesnt work like my grandma's buick... or the dinner plate on my dash... or the window switches...

blah blah. Maybe im in an ornery mood.. but come on. You bought the damn thing. Enjoy it. Get on the road and tear it up. In a couple years you'll buy something else and complain about it in another forum.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Modnar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SuwaneeM3
What I cant figure out is...

How can you actually whine about the nuances of a unique car ... like having to double pull to unlock... or the turn signal doesnt work like my grandma's buick... or the dinner plate on my dash... or the window switches...

blah blah. Maybe im in an ornery mood.. but come on. You bought the damn thing. Enjoy it. Get on the road and tear it up. In a couple years you'll buy something else and complain about it in another forum.
It's not a problem unless you're driving around strong armed dense friends who can't figure out why the door isn't opening and yank harder and harder on the handle until it finally snaps off, causing their arm to whip backwards, which then hits you in the nose, causing a massive nose bleed, and blood gets all over your lounge leather interior staining it permanently.

This is why I always hit the unlock toggle first if I've got MINI neophytes in the car.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:40 PM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel this is a topic well worthy of whining about!

I want my doors to auto-unlock for me, period! if there's going to be a double pull, then auto-unlock should be an option. But otherwise I'm ejoying my car just fine, except for the occasional audio complait, or the need for more mods than I possibly have money for right now

Last edited by amazingrando; 02-13-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:43 PM
tjtull
5th Gear
Originally Posted by amazingrando
I feel this is a topic well worthy of whining about!

I want my doors to auto-unlock for me, period!
Let me just throw this in. I have an RX-8 and the doors will only unlock from the inside if you hit the unlock button or physically unlock the locking clasp. Pulling on the door handles (no matter how many times) will not unlock the doors.

IMO, it's better to have to pull twice than to unlock the doors with the unlock button.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:11 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Modnar
It's not a problem unless you're driving around strong armed dense friends who can't figure out why the door isn't opening and yank harder and harder on the handle until it finally snaps off, causing their arm to whip backwards, which then hits you in the nose, causing a massive nose bleed, and blood gets all over your lounge leather interior staining it permanently.
I break one door handle and knock out one salesperson and you guys don't let it go... ...sheeesh.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Modnar

This is why I always hit the unlock toggle first if I've got MINI neophytes in the car.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:24 PM
MDLMini
1st Gear
IMHO it's easy... Train yourself to hit the lock button EVERYTIME you start driving and hit the unlock button EVERYTIME you stop and are ready to get out... Take some responsibility for your desires/actions and work with what you have... Sheesh... Just be happy you don't have to get out in the rain and CRANK the dang thing to get it started...

Sorry about the rant - been having to deal with people complaining all day about things that just ARE and cannot be changed no matter how many times you complain about it...

Mark

Old 02-15-2008, 01:50 AM
ajabbari
2nd Gear
Yeah.... personally sort of like having this on, and for me it's basically automatic to open the door. Like everyone else here the only problem is when someone else is sitting in the car for the first time and almost tears the door handle off trying to get out. Everytime that happens I tell myself I should just turn it off to avoid someone actually damaging it, and everytime I manage to talk myself out of it later. I'm pretty sure I'll eventually turn it off when some day someone does actually break the handle off.

BTW, like many of Mini's features this is also a BMW feature. I ran into this for the first time when I took a ride in a co-workers 3 series coupe, and when it came time to get out, nearly ripped the handle off.

I find myself repeatly telling people when they get in (like some OCD manic) that they'll need to pull twice to get out. What occasionally amazes me are the people who are caught by surprise anyway.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I'm so accustomed to the double pull to unlock that when I drive my Jeep I catch myself doing the double pull before I get out too. Of course on my Jeep just one pull will automatically unlock the door...

Last edited by Benibiker; 02-18-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:29 PM
SuwaneeM3
3rd Gear
I've actually found it useful for carting home really drunk friends who like to get out of moving cars. He pulls, I lock, he pulls, I lock, I punch.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:58 AM
sgcooper223
1st Gear
It's much safer to have the auto lock feature on. I have an old BMW (waiting on my cooper) which does this. It's annoying though to see people pull the door then just sit there, looking trapped, especially in the back seat where they assume the child lock feature is activated. I should remember to hit the switch, but normally if your in the car by yourself you double pull the handle without a second thought.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:29 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
I had a saying when I had MIB. When giving rides to people who haven't riden in MINI's I would say "Be Nice Pull Twice!" They heard it a time or two and got the idea.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Modnar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SuwaneeM3
I've actually found it useful for carting home really drunk friends who like to get out of moving cars. He pulls, I lock, he pulls, I lock, I punch.

Originally Posted by DrDiff
I had a saying when I had MIB. When giving rides to people who haven't riden in MINI's I would say "Be Nice Pull Twice!" They heard it a time or two and got the idea.