R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 How Many of You Have a 6 Speed Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008 | 01:05 PM
byhsu
4th Gear
I've had automatics and manuals. The character of the MCS is more suited for the manual 6 speed. If I was getting a luxury sedan then it would be automatic. I like my sport cars to be manual.

Old 02-10-2008 | 01:09 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by byhsu
I've had automatics and manuals. The character of the MCS is more suited for the manual 6 speed. If I was getting a luxury sedan then it would be automatic. I like my sport cars to be manual.
Absolutely--good post! I have a 6 speed in my MINI, but my husband has an automatic in his 5-series. Besides, he has had enough of the left foot bit in traffic.

Old 02-10-2008 | 01:38 PM
Derosi
3rd Gear
R56 JCW Suspension Auto

This is my first auto in 14 years and I felt it was a good one (Aisin 6 Speed). I don't think you loose performance because of the transmission but I do regret buying it for one reason. The R56 Cooper S really needs a limited slip and it was not available for the auto. I have a JCW Suspension an RE-01R Bridgestone Tires and the car was slow at Streets of Willow. My 2005 Steeda Mustang I sold was 5 seconds quicker on a small track and I could only guess how bad it would destroy the mini on the big track. I do like my Mini but really expected more in the handling department. In fairness the mustang cost about 4000 dollars more than the mini.

Anyone who wants to run through canyons, autoX, or do track days should definitely buy the stick and limited slip option.

Does anyone know why it was not an option on the auto. Is it because the demand would not be there or was it a space issue.

Old 02-10-2008 | 01:43 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
I think MINI has always phased in this sort of thing. My daughter's Cooper convertible only came as an MC, not MCS, several years ago when she ordered it. And I remember last year's early Coopers didn't have something--can't remember if it was automatic or LSD or what.

Old 02-10-2008 | 07:00 PM
spam.at.trash
|
3rd Gear
yeah yeah....6 spd way more fun to drive so I ordered 6 spd and I am still waiting it is hard though

Old 02-10-2008 | 07:14 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
The MINI is my first stick and I think stick shift and MINIs are all I will ever get from now on

I say definitely go for the stick...i drove an auto the other day and it was just not the same (no offense to anyone..just not my bag)...the shift points of the auto are so weird, the manual mode has a delay, and it just feels like such a loss of power (again i dont mean this rudely to any auto owners out there...im just expressing my experience with it)

Old 02-10-2008 | 07:31 PM
SuperModsquad
2nd Gear
Go with the SIX ...it's smooooothe like BUTTA

Old 02-11-2008 | 12:05 AM
Robin81
4th Gear
I've been driving an automatic for the past 3 years, but I just ordered a manual MINI. I tried really hard not to learn how to drive a manual when I was younger, because I did not want my parents to give me my mom's car (1986 Nissan Stanza Wagon). And I figured that if I didn't know how to drive it, they'd have to buy me something else (wrong). Now I'm really glad I know how to drive manual cars, because I wouldn't want my MINI any other way.

The only drawback is that my roommate does not know how to drive a manual, and we have tandem parking, so I'm going to have to teach her how on my brand new car.

Old 02-11-2008 | 01:02 AM
robn999
2nd Gear
You MUST go manual. It's the only way.

Old 02-11-2008 | 01:11 AM
steaming79
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin81
The only drawback is that my roommate does not know how to drive a manual, and we have tandem parking, so I'm going to have to teach her how on my brand new car.
get a new roomate. haha. kidding.

manual transmission is the way to go. more control of your car's performance. plus cred too. only lazy americans drive autos...and its our jobs as mini owners (including future ones) to once again set the standard for driving in the 50 states as the brits did in theirs: the manual gearbox

Old 02-11-2008 | 05:06 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by steaming79
get a new roomate. haha. kidding.

manual transmission is the way to go. more control of your car's performance. plus cred too. only lazy americans drive autos...and its our jobs as mini owners (including future ones) to once again set the standard for driving in the 50 states as the brits did in theirs: the manual gearbox
+1

We dont wana be those auto boxes that constant creep forward getting inches closer to the person infront (its usually the person behind you haha) at red lights just because they are impatient

Old 02-11-2008 | 09:06 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Snobbery.com

Old 02-11-2008 | 09:34 AM
Laser-Red
1st Gear
Manual. You won't regret it!

Old 02-11-2008 | 12:09 PM
kopov
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by spam.at.trash
Hello all,

I live in So Cal and using I-405 to home/work. It is about 80% freeway and 20% local. In the morning is OK to me, but little traffic in the afternoon on the freeway. Local drive is OK almost every time.

I would like to go with 90% 6 speeds manual, but 10% Auto. Could you give a little advice to decide?

Thanks in advance.

ps: I did not mention it. I am thinking about 2008 MCS hardtop

Here is another point of view: I drove the manual E46 M3 for 4 years and since started using it as a commuter car decided to try a Mini. I got the auto transmission so my wife can drive it sometimes. Well I can honestly tell that this auto is actually a lot of fun. It's even downshifting for you when you are in the Sport Mode. I drive it only in the Manual mode which is a lot of fun and in traffic I usually in 2nd or 3rd gear just exactly as I was in my M3. I am downshifting to 2nd before I make a quick turn just exactly as I did in the M3. When I am on the freeway on ramp I am usually accelerating in 4th to quickly get to the fast lane just exactly as I did in my M. Well of course if you drive it in the D mode than it becomes really boring. So this auto transmission is actually a lot of fun if of course you know how to properly use it. When i use the paddle shifters there is no real delay at least for me. I am actually surprised how much fun this car can be even with automatic. I will try the manual just to see how it compares but I seriously doubt that I'll be that impressed.
And lastly, the Mini is a driver's car, lots of fun car, but in any way not a sports car, but that's just my opinion.

Old 02-11-2008 | 02:07 PM
MINIGT50
3rd Gear
I would definitely only consider a manual for a future purchase of a Mini Cooper S, so I guess I'm a "manual snob". I just prefer the way it involves you in the driving experience that much more, and I have no size or other issues hindering my being able to drive a stick.

As for clutch problems, none so far, as a matter of fact the clutch feels as it did when new and I have 53,000 miles (some of which are hard driven) on my '04. But then again I don't ride the clutch, I make good use of the dead pedal.

That said, if an auto trans floats your boat, so be it. I think that with the better low end torque of the R56 an auto is better than it was in the R53, and the "manual mode" in many modern automatics (I haven't driven the MINI's) works very well and is fun to drive.

But just because it has paddles let's not confuse it for a "clutchless semi-automatic", like a Ferrari has. The MINI's is an automatic transmission that is driven via a torque converter that allows you to shift manually for an added bit of driving involvement. It is a convenience option, period. In the Ferrari, the "semi-automatic" IS a manual with a computer controlled clutch and shift actuation. People opt for it in these exotics because it is a performance option, as it delivers quicker shifts. Same with the DSG in the VW's and Audis.

As for torque steer under acceleration??? Both hands should be on the wheel regardless of manual or automatic if you are driving aggressively. I have never found the need to pre-stage my hand on the shifter while accelerating, I simply move it there when it's time to shift.

Last edited by MINIGT50; 02-11-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2008 | 02:13 PM
freeman727
2nd Gear
Having driven a 06 MC auto and currently having an 07 MCS with manual, I can say GO MANUAL!! Unless you do heavy stop and go or have back problems go manual!!! It will not disappoint. You feel a lot more engaged. One drawback: can't hold my wifes hand when I drive.

Old 02-11-2008 | 04:55 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kopov
Here is another point of view: I drove the manual E46 M3 for 4 years and since started using it as a commuter car decided to try a Mini. I got the auto transmission so my wife can drive it sometimes. Well I can honestly tell that this auto is actually a lot of fun. It's even downshifting for you when you are in the Sport Mode. I drive it only in the Manual mode which is a lot of fun and in traffic I usually in 2nd or 3rd gear just exactly as I was in my M3. I am downshifting to 2nd before I make a quick turn just exactly as I did in the M3. When I am on the freeway on ramp I am usually accelerating in 4th to quickly get to the fast lane just exactly as I did in my M. Well of course if you drive it in the D mode than it becomes really boring. So this auto transmission is actually a lot of fun if of course you know how to properly use it. When i use the paddle shifters there is no real delay at least for me. I am actually surprised how much fun this car can be even with automatic. I will try the manual just to see how it compares but I seriously doubt that I'll be that impressed.
And lastly, the Mini is a driver's car, lots of fun car, but in any way not a sports car, but that's just my opinion.
Does it rev match when you downshift like in SMG?

Old 02-11-2008 | 05:05 PM
kopov
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by r56mini
Does it rev match when you downshift like in SMG?
I never drove the SMG. I just had the 6speed manual. So I can't really tell. I can say the Mini downshifts pretty quickly. I am afraid to overrev it but I'll get used to it quickly. I love the quick turns it makes, really cool.

Old 02-11-2008 | 05:15 PM
redeagle
1st Gear
Originally Posted by spam.at.trash
yeah yeah....6 spd way more fun to drive so I ordered 6 spd and I am still waiting it is hard though
Congrats on getting the 6-speed - you will not regret it

Old 02-11-2008 | 06:31 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kopov
Sure it is--a sports car with a back seat!

Old 02-11-2008 | 06:40 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Oh please, don't bring up that subject again

The last thing you want is to have Chows4us back

Old 02-11-2008 | 06:49 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
???

Old 02-11-2008 | 08:25 PM
MINIGT50
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
A Porsche 911 is a sports car with a back seat. While a great hot-hatch, an entertaining car, and all that, the MINI is not a sports car.

Last edited by MINIGT50; 02-11-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2008 | 08:28 PM
kopov
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIGT50
A Porsche 911 is a sports car with a backseat. While a great hot-hatch, an entertaining car, and all that, the MINI is not a sports car.
+1

I couldn't agree more. Front wheel drive sports car??? Regardless of how much you would like it to be it's not gonna happen.

Old 02-11-2008 | 10:16 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Don't say that so readily. Back in the early 70's I had a SAAB Sonett. You've probably never heard of them (they were rare), but they most definitely were sports cars...and FWD.

I've been around sports cars for 40 years, starting with a '64 Porsche 356SC (which we still have, BTW). A great variety, too! Also lots of sports sedans, like BMWs (we've had 4, starting with a 69 2002). Lots of variety and terms to define, but the MINI is more like a sports car than a sports sedan. And yes, I've sat in the back seat of a 911, also our 356. A back seat (or lack thereof) doesn't define a sports car. It's what it DOES.

Quick Reply: R56 How Many of You Have a 6 Speed Manual?