R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 How to turn DSC on and off

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:02 AM
wingku
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to turn DSC on and off

Hello everyone,

Happy New Year everyone!

I'm really new here and just picked up my 2007 mini on Dec 31st, I absolutely adore my little mini so far!!

Quick and stupid question, I do not know when my DSC is on OR off?!

In the manual, it says to press the DSC button repeatly and the DSC button light would come on which means the DSC is turned off, but mine doesn't do that, the light wouldn't come on. However, on the tachometer, I would have an exclamation sign inside a triangle with an arrow surrounds it counter-clockwise and it would stay on the tachometer. Does this triangle thing mean the DSC is being turned off?

Also, does the 2007 mini have a spare tire? I tried to look underneathe but it was too dark at night

I emailed the dealer and she didn't reply. My dealer wasn't very knowledgeable, she didn't even show me the compartment under the silver cover until I read the manual on my own!

Thank you in advance if you can shed a light for this new mini owner!

Regards,

Wing

Old 01-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Andrew1400
1st Gear
When the light is on your DSC is off.. at least on my '05.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:17 AM
scott48
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To turn it off you just hold down the DSC button for a few seconds, until the DSC symbol lights up(and will stay on) on the tach.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:43 AM
wingku
Neutral
Thank you!!

The DSC sign is the Triangle and the Arrow going counter-clockwise, I assume?

Old 01-02-2008, 10:55 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, and congrats on your new MINI!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:06 AM
shokk
7th Gear
I didn't think there was room for the spare tire.
That's why they push the runflats.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is no spare on the MCS because the exhaust system doesn't allow room for it. IIRC, some versions of the MC come with a spare.

Why turn DSC off? Are you tracking your MINI already?

Old 01-02-2008, 11:31 AM
djam43
6th Gear
If it is a standard MC you will get a spare tire which is in the floor recess below the jack/toolkit, which is acessible by lifting up the rear floor panel in the boot area.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:10 PM
wingku
Neutral
I didn't want to turn off the DSC on purpose but if I don't know when it is ON or OFF then I could be in trouble. I live in Calgary which is north of the border and it gets really snowy and cold at times. So as a pre-caution, I figured I should know when it is being turned off cuz from where I live, I need it!!

It's just like a kid opens up his Christmas present, he wants to know every gadgets the robot has!!

My next thing thing to check out is the "Sport" button when the road gets a little nicer!

I'm so thrilled that I have a mini!

Thanks guys!

Wing

Old 01-02-2008, 12:13 PM
bmbleB07
2nd Gear
if you don;t have a spare... id get one of these...(if you don't have runflats)

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(wq...px?SKU=8139248

i haven't used it yet, but it helps me sleep at night.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:27 PM
wingku
Neutral
They did tell me I have runflats, I never used runflats before but they sounded reliable.

Is my assumption correct?

Old 01-02-2008, 01:03 PM
djam43
6th Gear
Runflats are fine until you have a flat , then you will have to find a place that can/will repair it (depending on the location of the puncture) If you need a replacment then you are probably in trouble as there are not too many local places that carry then.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:08 PM
russr
5th Gear
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can use those slime fix a flat kits with the newer tire pressure monitoring system.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
you can. the tire pressure monitor on the MINI works by tire rotation. there is no component inside the tires.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:15 PM
russr
5th Gear
LynnEl, what you say is partially true, from week 32 onwards and all 2008 models do not use the tire rotation sensor, they now have an actual wireless sensor in the valve stem. using slime will most likely damage it. Check out the tire threads.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by djam43
Runflats are fine until you have a flat , then you will have to find a place that can/will repair it (depending on the location of the puncture) If you need a replacment then you are probably in trouble as there are not too many local places that carry then.
That and once you do find a place that carries them expect to pay a pretty penny. Also it's not very easy to find a place willing to install or uninstall them. Finally, what allows them to run while flat simultaneously gives you a pretty firm ride all the time.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:39 PM
oldopelguy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by djam43
If it is a standard MC you will get a spare tire which is in the floor recess below the jack/toolkit, which is acessible by lifting up the rear floor panel in the boot area.
The equipment for lowering the tire is under that cover, but the tire itself is underneath the car. You would see it looking up from the back or driver's side.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:47 PM
wingku
Neutral
My dealer said there is no room for a spare tire for the 07 model which I kinda doubt, but I will look at it again tonight to make sure.

Does everyone put in the premium gas, or you can get by fueling the mini with medium grade?

Old 01-02-2008, 04:19 PM
gjhsu
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Why turn DSC off?
There's nothing more disappointing than stomping on the gas in 1st or 2nd gear, expecting glorious amounts of wheelspin..... and getting nothing.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:10 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh boy. Evidently you had a lousy MA. You should have gotten a real indoctrination--at least 1/2 hour or more.

This sounds like your first car--am I right? You need to read the manual cover-to-cover, and then read it again. If your MA doesn't help answer your questions, corner your SA (and a time when s/he is not busy). And by all means, join the local MINI club. Find someone to help walk you through your car's features.

Keep the DSC on unless there's a good reason to shut it off. It will be on by default, so if you see the symbol it's OFF.

No spare in the MCS; no room for it. The MCS comes with from the factory with runflats. I'd keep them in your case because it takes a certain gamble to run with "regular" tires--you'd have to know what to do in case of a flat. Keep in mind, though, even runflats will leave you stranded if you have sidewall damage, or have to go past about 50 miles to reach help.

No, you can't use regular. Use a good brand of premium. Read the manual--it discusses this thoroughly.

Read the manual, ask questions, join your local MINI club!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:12 AM
wingku
Neutral
This is not really my first car. I've had 4 vehicles prior to the MINI but they were all under the Honda family. This is the first time I have an European vehicle with so many gadgets in it!

I have read the manual once and discovered a whole lot more than what the salesperson told me already. I shall read it again as the vehicle has so much to offer.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wingku
My dealer said there is no room for a spare tire for the 07 model which I kinda doubt, but I will look at it again tonight to make sure.

Does everyone put in the premium gas, or you can get by fueling the mini with medium grade?
You can 'get by' fueling it with medium grade (89 octane rating or more) fuel, but I'd stick to the premium. Many dealers fuel the cars up with mid-grade as I'm sure the annual savings are pretty significant. But premium guarantees you top performance, efficiency and smooth running.

If you look through the board, MINI's seem to be pretty finicky with gas as it is. Rough idling, CEL's, stalling, decreased mpg, knocking, etc. just from switching gas stations, let alone grades! My MINI will never see a drop of non top-tier 91+ gas unless it absolutely cannot be avoided. It's what MINI USA recommends.

Last edited by Msteadman; 01-03-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:38 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just heard this morning that Oil Topped $100 a barrel yesterday, and that this could translate into $4.00 per gallon for regular unleaded. I am glad I only have a 6 mile commute...

Old 01-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rockridge
Just heard this morning that Oil Topped $100 a barrel yesterday, and that this could translate into $4.00 per gallon for regular unleaded. I am glad I only have a 6 mile commute...
I commute on the internet.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rockridge
No commute for me! Living and working on campus.

Given those prices, thank goodness.

Quick Reply: R56 How to turn DSC on and off