R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Lightyr
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shokk
I have mine on all the time. If I'm seen, I'm that little bit safer than if I were not.
I agree. We run with our (non-xenon) lights on all the time. Wife commutes everyday over a major NY bridge. The more she is visible in the mirrors of an 18 wheeler, the happier I am. Nationwide Insurance in NY gives a discount for vehicles with DRL; although, these are not technically DRLs they can be passively left on all the time and turn off with the ignition which qualifies them as DRLs (in Nationwide's eyes). (Guess they're on my side).

Last edited by Lightyr; 01-03-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
What if costs > $1,000?

My understanding is that Xenons are extremely expensive to replace, and the thing that kills them is startup. So, if I'm running a lot of short errands with good visibility, I leave them off. If I'm driving a few miles or more on a two-lane road or freeway, I'll turn them on manually.
Exactly.

And I honestly don't see how having the DRL's on in the middle of the day, during city driving, with perfect visibility adds to accident avoidance in any significant way. However I do see how it adds to my maintenance bill when I'm forced to replace those extremely expensive xenons.

Perhaps I'm just deranged.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:32 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Msteadman
I'm just deranged.
Aren't we all??

Old 01-03-2008, 11:39 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by svtzx2
Hence in Canada, DRL's have been the law since about 1992 or so. Seems strange whenever I cross the border and see so many cars driving without their lights on. DRL's also are not as bright as when the lights are on fully. Having had my car for over 10 years now, I've never had to change the lights once in my car. There really isn't any measureable savings by having them off. When working on a car with DRL's, raising the hand brake lever usually turns them off.
Neither of those are true with the MINI.
From the descriptions here, some things seem to have changed in the R56 from the 1st gen MINIs.

In the R50/R52/R53, the DRL's operate in the "traditional" way -- high beams turn on at 30% intensity and no other exterior lights turn on. In the R56, DRL's seem to be exactly the same as manually turning on the low beams. Is that correct? Maybe they changed it because of the bi-xenons, which I believe cannot operate in a dimmed mode.

On my 2006 cabrio, DRL's do not turn off with the hand brake.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
From the descriptions here, some things seem to have changed in the R56 from the 1st gen MINIs.

In the R50/R52/R53, the DRL's operate in the "traditional" way -- high beams turn on at 30% intensity and no other exterior lights turn on. In the R56, DRL's seem to be exactly the same as manually turning on the low beams. Is that correct? Maybe they changed it because of the bi-xenons, which I believe cannot operate in a dimmed mode.

On my 2006 cabrio, DRL's do not turn off with the hand brake.
That's exactly correct. I should have specified that DRL's don't work that way with the R56, not MINI's in general. Could be because of the bi-xenons. Has anyone with the standard halogen headlights tried out their DRL's??? Even if they function the same way, it could be MINI not wanting to deal with two different programs. I can't see any other reason why they'd make the change.

Do xenons in the R50/R52/R53 only work for low-beams?

Last edited by Msteadman; 01-03-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
That's exactly correct. I should have specified that DRL's don't work that way with the R56, not MINI's in general. Could be because of the bi-xenons. Has anyone with the standard halogen headlights tried out their DRL's??? Even if they function the same way, it could be MINI not wanting to deal with two different programs. I can't see any other reason why they'd make the change.

I tried them and it's just like turning on your low beams, all exterior lights come on and the headlights are full power. Can't turn them off unless you go through all the steps to reprogram them off, that includes the emergency brake. I have the standard headlights...

Last edited by Benibiker; 01-03-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:54 AM
exile
1st Gear
Curious about a solution here, not trying to thread jack....

If you have the rally lights, can you turn off the DRL mode and flip on just the rally lights to serve as DRL.

The tool tip on the config. site says you can (don't remember exact wording) but I know that it also says they are tied to high beams.

I like DRL but would also worry about the possible expense. I like the rally lights but wouldn't want them if they can't be flipped on and off whenever I want.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:21 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
The 1st gen has xenons only for low-beam, and halogens in the high-beam. Both xenon and halogen bulbs turn on when high beam is selected.

Originally Posted by exile
If you have the rally lights, can you turn off the DRL mode and flip on just the rally lights to serve as DRL.
That would work if you can dim the rally lights when used as DRL's (there are aftermarket products that can help with this). The problem is that rally lights are usually aimed like hi-beams and at full intensity they would cause glare in traffic.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by exile
That may be illegal in California. I think you have to have the headlights on when running any other kind of lights. I'm fairly certain that driving with only the parking lights on is illegal. The idea is that people judge the distance of an oncoming car by its headlights. Other lights can give a false impression of the distance.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:13 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Scoopmama
I thought mine were programmed, but I'm wondering if it is tied in to the fob I was using at the time the dealer dealt with it. Sometimes they're on and sometimes not. Does anyone know whether this is the case or not?
Definitely IS tied to the fob, as are lots of other things. Even the radio settings are tied to the fob. These things are easy to program in the R56, just follow the steps in the owners manual.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:18 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
My DRLs are programmed off, but I usually have full headlights on. I live in the country, where little car = far away. The hard stare of the xenons has definitely helped reduce the number of people pulling out in front of me. If I'm running short errands in town I don't always "light up," but anything more than 15 minutes qualifies. And if there is any question at all about visibility, they're on no matter what.

And that's with a red car.

P.S. The mechanic who works on my BMW says igniters on the 530i are $400 each. I'm guessing MINIs are similar. My insurance deductible is $1000.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:26 PM
ubdylan
3rd Gear
That may be illegal in California. I think you have to have the headlights on when running any other kind of lights. I'm fairly certain that driving with only the parking lights on is illegal.
Incorrect. The Ca. Drivers handbook states that it is a good practice to drive with markers on in the daytime due to increased visibility. Both of my kids have recently studied and passed their driving exams. For some reason, that was one of the things that stuck in my head.

As for the DRL, I have them on during my commutes, but on the weekend around town and low speed driving, I leave em off.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:54 PM
investigator
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gaston
I am baffled that drivers are so stingy with their use of their lights. Do they think turning them on costs them money? Or are they just clueless as to the safety aspects of being seen? I have DRLs ON all the time. My 2003 MC had a dedicated bulb but with my 2007 MCS it is the bixenon bulb. I don't care if it costs me a few $ to replace the xenon bulb. I learned when driving a motorcycle, part of being safe is being seen. Plus, I live in the mountains, on a two-lane highway where the light is mixed between tree shadow and bright sunlight. Headlights make a big difference, and most of the commuters here drive with lights on, even in broad daylight, because being seen is part of being safe.
This is one of the most intelligent posts I've seen on this website. Many years ago I lived in England and rode a motorcycle. It was truly amazing how many people did not see me. Drivers don't look for motorcycles and for that matter small cars. So.........keep your daytime running lights on. As a side benefit, I've noticed that cars in the left lane of an interstate move over when you come up behind them if you have your lights on. I drive I-75 in Florida frequently and without the lights on no one sees you. Better to be seen. Thanks for your post.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:03 PM
goosefraba
3rd Gear
That may be illegal in California. I think you have to have the headlights on when running any other kind of lights. I'm fairly certain that driving with only the parking lights on is illegal. The idea is that people judge the distance of an oncoming car by its headlights. Other lights can give a false impression of the distance.
Interesting thing about that, Euro spec motorcycles with dual headlamps are only allowed to have one lamp on b/c other motorist confuse the 2 lights close together are a car at a far distance.... but for high beam, both lamps illuminate.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:16 PM
jimmieshear
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ubdylan
Incorrect. The Ca. Drivers handbook states that it is a good practice to drive with markers on in the daytime due to increased visibility. Both of my kids have recently studied and passed their driving exams. For some reason, that was one of the things that stuck in my head.
I can't find that in the current DMV handbook for Cali.

In fact .. I do find on page 41.

DRIVING IN DARKNESS
Drive more slowly at night because
you cannot see as far ahead and
you have less time to stop for a
hazard. Make sure you can stop
within the distance lighted by your headlights.

Use your low beam headlights at
night when it rains. Don’t drive
with only your parking lights on

Oh and this is on the same page a little further up ...

Never drive with just your
parking or fog lights.

Personally, I never have my lights on unless conditions warrant them. If visibility is good, I should be able to see you sans driving lights. If I can't then I probably would need to get my eyes checked

Old 01-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ubdylan

As for the DRL, I have them on during my commutes, but on the weekend around town and low speed driving, I leave em off.
On page 41 of the of the California DMV Driver Handbook, "Never drive with just your parking or fog lights."

A search through the handbook found no mention of "marker lights."

Old 01-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by investigator
This is one of the most intelligent posts I've seen on this website. Many years ago I lived in England and rode a motorcycle. It was truly amazing how many people did not see me. Drivers don't look for motorcycles and for that matter small cars. So.........keep your daytime running lights on. As a side benefit, I've noticed that cars in the left lane of an interstate move over when you come up behind them if you have your lights on. I drive I-75 in Florida frequently and without the lights on no one sees you. Better to be seen. Thanks for your post.
In a previous thread on this subject, a motorcycle rider complained about cars running in the daytime with headlights. Motorcycles were doing it before it became popular with cars. Now, motorcycles aren't as noticeable among all the cars with lights on.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:26 PM
mattbren
2nd Gear
My DRL's are programmed off. I just leave the headlight switch in the on position all the time. They turn of automatically when you turn off the engine and exit the vehicle. The more visible you are, the less likely you are to be hit.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:37 PM
ubdylan
3rd Gear
Guess I'll scan the hard copy we have at home. Web version could be different. Just sayin.

Seems everything we read on the internet is true.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:50 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
As a side benefit, I've noticed that cars in the left lane of an interstate move over when you come up behind them if you have your lights on. I drive I-75 in Florida frequently and without the lights on no one sees you.
Absolutely true. Definitely makes you look like one of the "big guys." Whoda thunk you could lump yourself in with the Porsches and Mercedes just by turning on those xenons?

Old 01-03-2008, 03:59 PM
investigator
4th Gear
In a previous thread on this subject, a motorcycle rider complained about cars running in the daytime with headlights. Motorcycles were doing it before it became popular with cars. Now, motorcycles aren't as noticeable among all the cars with lights on.
Of course they are. Now if you want to deal with semantics then you are correct, motorcycles (the physical shape and size) aren't as noticeable. But with lights on, be it a motorcycle or a car, you are going to see it. It matters not whether it's a motorcycle or a car if you are at a stop and a light on a vehicle is coming toward you at a crossroad. You are going to stop or certainly exercise more care in pulling out. The whole point of lights on during the daytime is to be seen as gaston pointed out.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:15 PM
goosefraba
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Absolutely true. Definitely makes you look like one of the "big guys." Whoda thunk you could lump yourself in with the Porsches and Mercedes just by turning on those xenons?
Speaking of the "big guys", where does MINI set in the unofficial Autobahn pecking order of right of way? IE: Porsche, Merc, BMW, Audi, VW.
Would xenons give better ranking at night?

Old 01-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Of course they are. Now if you want to deal with semantics then you are correct, motorcycles (the physical shape and size) aren't as noticeable. But with lights on, be it a motorcycle or a car, you are going to see it. It matters not whether it's a motorcycle or a car if you are at a stop and a light on a vehicle is coming toward you at a crossroad. You are going to stop or certainly exercise more care in pulling out. The whole point of lights on during the daytime is to be seen as gaston pointed out.
I'm just reporting a motorcycle rider's complaint. I believe he felt that with lots of headlights on, people were less likely to realize there was a motorcycle there.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by goosefraba
Speaking of the "big guys", where does MINI set in the unofficial Autobahn pecking order of right of way? IE: Porsche, Merc, BMW, Audi, VW.
Would xenons give better ranking at night?
If someone coming towards you has failed to turn down their brights, flashing the Xenons at them seems to get their attention.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The whole point of whether it's safer or with DRls on is kind of moot. It can be helpful and at times it doesn't help. Depends on the circumstances. It could also depend on how you drive. You could argue defensive driving is more effective at staying safe. It doesn't really matter if the other drivers don't see you as long as you are paying attention. Nobody sees me on my motorcycle. I don't expect them too either. They are just harder to spot. Twice yesterday I had a car change lanes into me. Both times my headlights were on (light rain). They didn't see them because they never looked. I was driving the same way I ride my motorcycle. When I'm next to a car or going to be near one, I look at the driver and the steering wheel. The steering wheel moves before the vehicle. If I had been looking at the radio or out the other window, I wouldn't have seen them start to change lanes and there would have been a collision. I braked and they finished their lane change missing me. My point though is that they never saw my headlights, and frankly since neither one even looked in their mirror, it wouldn't have mattered if they were not on. It can't really hurt to have them on. But it's no sure all that you'll be seen. I'll stick to driving defensively.

Quick Reply: R56 Daytime Running Lights