R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Venture shield or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 02:56 PM
BlackdogTurbo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venture shield or not?

I was hoping that more people would have some experience to share about Venture shield - I read the previous posts on clear bras and they were helpful too. Did anyone get Venture installed by the dealer? Cost? Warranty? Longevity? I'm waffling - it seems like a great idea but is expensive, and I'm worried that I'll have to pay a fortune in the future to get it redone as it wears out...
Blackdog

Old 01-12-2008, 10:00 PM
BlackdogTurbo
1st Gear
venture shield

Bump?

Old 01-13-2008, 11:33 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you interested in Venture shield versus another brand, such as 3M, or Venture shield versus no clear bra at all?

We have the 3M clear bra on both of our cars, and I'll never own another car without it (or at least some brand of clear bra). My wife's car was about five months old before we had the clearbra installed, and I had to fix about a half-dozen rock chips first. With my car, I had it installed the day after I brought the car home from the dealer. We haven't had a single chip on the protected areas of either car since (about 50,000 miles between the two cars). The edges of the clear bra are visible if you're closer than ten feet from the car, but they certainly don't "jump out" at you - I've never had anyone notice the clear bra before I pointed it out to them.

The cost was about $450 per car, and that was for the hood, bumper, grille slats, hood scoop, mirror backs, headlamps and foglamps.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:44 PM
BlackdogTurbo
1st Gear
venture shield

Yeah, my choice is venture shield or nothing right now (though i could have the 3m installed at a different dealter if I really wanted to). I just figured it would be better, since my car is new and hasn't been delivered yet, to have it done before I take delivery. I just didn't know about the longevity of the stuff - if after 10,000 miles I'm going to see it peeling or whatever, or I'll have to remove and replace it every several years, I'm not sure if I'd want the trouble. If its maint. free, I may go for it. Herb Chambers in Boston said they have a lifetime warranty on it, and if it was 'wearing out' it could be replaced free of charge. That may seal the deal for me! I've seen lots of posts about how people love their 3m, but not so many on what people think of the venture product...

Old 01-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
I'm very happy with Venture Shield. I had it installed in May, about a month after I picked up my car.

The shop I used had previously used 3M but came to like the quality of Venture Shield better, along with its lifetime guarantee. They said the Venture Shield held up better without yellowing.

In previous posts, there were plenty of people who recommended both Venture Shield and the 3M products. Both companies have improved their products as technology has progressed.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Tess
4th Gear
I had my Venture Shield done in July, a month after I got my car. Total was $600 installed, including mirror caps, headlights would be $150 extra but the guy decided to do it for me free after I declined. I just need to find the time to go back and get it done.

I've had no problems with it at all, and have found several marks on it that would surely have been huge scratches on the car if the shield wasn't there.

Oh... and as you can see by my signature picture, you can't tell it's there at all.. unless you're looking for it and standing right by the car

Last edited by Tess; 01-15-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:22 AM
BlackdogTurbo
1st Gear
venture

Thanks - that's really helpful! I'm going to have it done before taking delivery.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:32 AM
LOP
3rd Gear
One thing to keep in mind about dealers installing this prior to delivery is that they may not porperly prepare the surface prior to installation.

What I mean is that most GOOD aftermarket installers will clay-bar and wax the surface prior to installing so it shines deep underneath the shield.
The wax isn't as important as the clay-barring is to remove all contaminants. this will allow your finish to shine throught the shield even better.

Check with your installer to make sure the clay bar process is performed, if not, either do it yourself or find another installer that does perform this service.

BTW, I had clear shield installed customized due to the aero kit on upper and lower front bumpers including the hood and then had a piece added to rear bumper to eliminate scratches loading/unloading boot. Everything was about $500 locally.

Good Luck

Old 01-14-2009, 04:53 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Ventureshield is an excellent product.

You can check an installer/dealer near to you.

Very durable and relatively easy care.