R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 First time stick driver R56 owners?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 07:31 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ives
cool thanks guys!
I'm gonna spend the whole day driving it today..quiet sunday traffic. My mini has already been broken in seeing as how it has about 1000 km on it (demo for the assistant sales manager). I'm just a little worried about harming the transmission or engine and burning out the clutch early! But I guess you just have to do it and get used to it

Exactly, but the few things to make sure you don't harm those. Don't let out the clutch till you know you are in gear (keep you from grinding) and let the clutch out faster rather than slower. If you gave it to much gas and are already letting the clutch out, just speed it up because you are better off having the jerky ride and possibly lighting the tires than burning your clutch. The smooth ride will come with time, but if thats what you really focus on while you learn, then you will burn your clutch up quick. You want to get the motions down, then you can work on smoothness and speed.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by swflaboy
I find my MINI needs a bit more throttle at launch than previous cars.
That's the stupid "Sport" button. With sport mode on the throttle behaves correctly.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:29 AM
ives
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh, so I should put the SPORT button on? I was told to leave it off?

I drove around the block a few times today in traffic. No major problems except at one light where it was a little bit of an incline and I had to use the parking brake to help me launch. I've got a handle on the clutch now but yeah...my instructor had told me to ease off the clutch (don't pop it) when launching so it's not so jerky was that incorrect advice?

I find that when I'm reversing, I'm a little bit scared to use the gas too much as its too fast for me to control so I end up riding the clutch to reverse park....

Old 11-02-2008, 11:42 AM
MPowerF1
2nd Gear
I've got a handle on the clutch now but yeah...my instructor had told me to ease off the clutch (don't pop it) when launching so it's not so jerky was that incorrect advice?
Completely correct advice.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Its a matter of personal preference, but I think the MINI drives like a MINI with sport on and like a soggy blancmange with it off.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:15 PM
swflaboy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
That's the stupid "Sport" button. With sport mode on the throttle behaves correctly.
Sport button always on.

Originally Posted by Btwyx
......like a soggy blancmange with it off.
Gave me a chuckle.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:01 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
You'll get differing opinions on this board, but I think everyone will agree that it's easier to learn to drive manual with the Sport button ON, mainly because the throttle response in 1st gear is much more sensitive.

Many MINI owners even prefer it for daily use (myself included). The penalty is about 1-2 MPG in lost fuel efficiency ( with all other factors like driving style otherwise equal).

Old 11-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Feliciadawn
1st Gear
me too

I bought my manual mini clubman S with virtually no manual driving experience. I picked up the car about 70 miles away and learned to use the stick on the way home. So far so good -- I can handle regular shifts and hills. I have stalled out about 5 times total, and I have accidentally gone into reverse (from a full stop) twice -- but quickly realized the mistake and switched to first.

I don't really understand the part about using the ebrake on hills -- I just slowly hit the accelerator while I slowly lift the clutch. This seems to work -- is it somehow not right?

Old 11-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Feliciadawn
I don't really understand the part about using the ebrake on hills -- I just slowly hit the accelerator while I slowly lift the clutch. This seems to work -- is it somehow not right?
Do you have DSC? If you do you also have hill hold, which is cheating, but probably very useful if you're not used to a stick yet.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Feliciadawn
1st Gear
Yeah I think all clubman come with DSC. No wonder why it is easy.

Generally I would suggest that the position of Reverse is the only negative to learning to drive a stick with a Mini.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:34 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
^^Yup, that's exactly right. It'll become less of a problem in a few weeks. As a new manual driver you're probably shifting "firmly". After a while you'll relax a little bit and let the car "fall into gear" when your shift, i.e. you won't be banging the shifter to the left and up when going into 1st (thus increasing the chance you'll inadvertently find Reverse), and you'll be using your fingertips to shift instead of grabbing the **** with your entire hand.

Well at least that's what I went through, by no means an expert in these things

Old 11-03-2008, 09:32 AM
dwebber18
3rd Gear
My 07 MCS is the first car I have owned in manual, I had driven a few before I bought it but not much at all, just enough to understand the basics. It is much easier to learn in sport mode since the throttle is much more touchy. I bought mine and then drive it home from Jacksonville to St. Augustine with my dad following me incase I stalled it. It took me a little to slow down and relax when I was in reverse out of the drive way and then into first, I would pull off the clutch too fast and stall it. I love it though, its a pain sometimes, but it easily makes up for the pain when I want to get on it and hit the dragon. Congrats on the purchase, hope you love it!

Old 11-09-2008, 07:26 PM
ives
1st Gear
Hi All again!

So I have been driving more with the MCS. No problems launching from a relatively flat surface, smooth upshifting and even smooth downshifting. My only concern is uphill starts. I was taught to use the e-brake to do so but I tend to rev to about 1500 rpm, ease out the clutch till it catches then release the parking brake when the car "hunches" down..I've gotten it to work a few times but also stalled a few times. I'm just wondering if not using the parking brake is easier? I know the car has hill assist for a few seconds (DSC) but I find it still rolls back immediately once I release the brake. what is the easiest way? (this is why I haven't taken the car to work, I don't want to hold up Vancouver daytime rush hour traffic! lots of hills...)

Old 11-09-2008, 08:16 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^^ I'd say maybe you need to let the clutch out just another notch as you drop the ebrake. You want to get the most power to the wheels because the car is trying to go back naturally. I know that was my problem at first because I didn't give enough clutch while dropping it so I thought I had enough power to fully let out the clutch. That extra notch lets you feel the power thats needed and when to fully let out the clutch.

Just my 2 cents

Old 11-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
1500 revs sounds a little little, and stalling out would probably confirm that. Everything else sounds right though.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:35 PM
MPowerF1
2nd Gear
I have never used the e-brake method and have never had any problems. All I can say is practice, practice, practice. The more you practice, the more the clutch becomes almost any extension of your body and you can do anything with it without thinking. There will be some very steep slopes that you might need the parking brake for, but I've come across some very steep hills and have never had a problem. I taught a friend of mine to drive a stick (Toyota MR2) and we just kept going back to this quiet road with some short slopes to practice on. Eventually she got really comfortable with the clutch. Just have some patience and keep working with it.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:34 AM
redeagle
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MPowerF1
I have never used the e-brake method and have never had any problems. All I can say is practice, practice, practice. The more you practice, the more the clutch becomes almost any extension of your body and you can do anything with it without thinking.
What (s)he said

Using the ebrake is a crutch you will not need for long (hopefully) The Mini's manual is one of the easiest to drive in my opinion but the "hill assist clutch" makes it harder to learn hills/inclines due to the lack of immediate feedback when you let up the clutch - you should have it by next week.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:42 AM
mini_jaijai
1st Gear
Well, I never drive a manual car before, and the very first time is on my boyfriend's e46.. and he changed his clutch to some kinda sport clutch.. it was so heavy.. and when I bought my r53 with manual... everything seems to be easy... you just need to get used to the clutch in R56.. it's so light and they have hill assist now, it's even much easier.. It's really easy to learn manual if you drive it everyday~!! And i found that it is so much fun to drive manual.. A girl can do it, why can't you?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:57 PM
ives
1st Gear
I'm a girl too! ha ha ha...my first official car and it's a manual. Impulse buy, but very happy. I drove it to work today no problems. (I only stalled once waiting for oncoming traffic for left turn on a green). I think the sport button resets everytime I drive the car because I noticed it was off today. It's much easier to drive with the sport button on as people have said. On slight inclines, I've also tried without e-brake and I seem to be doing okay but hopefully the hill assist still works on steeper hills.
I was worried about the engine yesterday as it was giving off some steam and hiss noises after I stalled on a hill. But I am relieved to say, I believe it was due to condensation of rain onto the turbo (which still gets quite hot). No steaming today (sunny and mild). Still getting hiss but that is the fan cooling down the engine? I've heard stories about hood scoops melting....

Old 11-10-2008, 01:38 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini_jaijai
A girl can do it, why can't you?

Last edited by DrewN; 11-10-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:19 PM
diplo
2nd Gear
the r56 was my training tool. Great car to learn on, took me 15min.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
I think the sport button resets everytime I drive the car
It does unless you have the right mod.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:59 AM
chibi
Neutral
You can rent a mini cooper in some major cities -- I recommend that if you're really unsure. City Car Share, or one of its competitors or maybe Hertz may have one

Old 11-11-2008, 02:55 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Even though learning stick on a Mini is easier than some cars, it doesn't reduce the annoyance of a manual tranny in stop and go traffic. Nonetheless, I like my manual Mini.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:00 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi All again!

So I have been driving more with the MCS. No problems launching from a relatively flat surface, smooth upshifting and even smooth downshifting. My only concern is uphill starts. I was taught to use the e-brake to do so but I tend to rev to about 1500 rpm, ease out the clutch till it catches then release the parking brake when the car "hunches" down..I've gotten it to work a few times but also stalled a few times. I'm just wondering if not using the parking brake is easier? I know the car has hill assist for a few seconds (DSC) but I find it still rolls back immediately once I release the brake. what is the easiest way? (this is why I haven't taken the car to work, I don't want to hold up Vancouver daytime rush hour traffic! lots of hills...)
Hill holder works when you have 1st gear selected, and your feet on the clutch and brake. When you take your foot off the brake you'll have about 2 seconds before the car rolls back. That should be plenty of time to engage the clutch as you give the car some gas. If the hill-hold feature does not work it's because the car's still in neutral when you take your foot off the brake.

Quick Reply: R56 First time stick driver R56 owners?