R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 First time stick driver R56 owners?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 04:31 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ yep agree on that I keep the whole clutch foot in the air. Tried it with pivot point on the floor like the gas peddle, but it doesn't work for me; I cannot be fully engaged or disengaged with it, plus not as smooth

Old 12-13-2008, 11:20 PM
ives
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I accidentally shifted into first gear instead of third when I was going about 40 km/h today....I know it is bad for the car since it lugged/bunny hopped; and I realized my mistake immediately and then shifted into neutral then third...
Have I done permanent damage to the engine? no engine lights on...but not sure if I should et it checked?

Old 12-14-2008, 05:58 PM
marcel74
2nd Gear
If this occurs once or twice, you should not have a problem.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:05 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
If you start driving a stick you will never go back to an auto...you are way more connected to the car with the stick..you will love it the clutch is like butter and the trans is nice and positive when shifting...have fun

Old 12-15-2008, 08:53 AM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Bull
If you start driving a stick you will never go back to an auto...you are way more connected to the car with the stick..you will love it the clutch is like butter and the trans is nice and positive when shifting...have fun
I feel the same way.

It is excruciating driving an automatic car, now, having driven exclusively manuals for the last several years. I feel like I'm missing out on a much more rewarding experience.

So, when it came time to look for a new car, *especially* a MINI, my wife and I started out with the understanding that we wouldn't be buying anything with an automatic, even though my wife doesn't actually know how to drive stick, yet... and this car will be her daily driver.

She's a little worried about learning, although I've given her a few lessons, but I've assured her that she'll learn quickly and soon be glad that her MINI is a manual rather than an automatic.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Blainestang
I feel the same way.

It is excruciating driving an automatic car, now, having driven exclusively manuals for the last several years. I feel like I'm missing out on a much more rewarding experience.

So, when it came time to look for a new car, *especially* a MINI, my wife and I started out with the understanding that we wouldn't be buying anything with an automatic, even though my wife doesn't actually know how to drive stick, yet... and this car will be her daily driver.

She's a little worried about learning, although I've given her a few lessons, but I've assured her that she'll learn quickly and soon be glad that her MINI is a manual rather than an automatic.
If she is willing to learn then she will do fine...My wife has here own car so I don't have to worry about it because I dont drive it.

Funny story..my cousin came to the states for the summer time with her family and she rented a Buick from Hertz, it was an Auto......she had a hard time driving it!! She never drove an auto before...funny, she kept hitting the brake and getting all screwed up...LMAO

Old 10-03-2009, 05:55 PM
jaxson
1st Gear
Yea...I agree with everything ppl said here. I learned how to drive stick on a 08 Civic Si, which I still have. That was way difficult compared to the MCS. The clutch is "grabier," the transmission is slightly notchy, the revs hang for a second after you let off the clutch, and the powerband is far from linear.

I recently test drove a MCS and boy was the clutch nice and the transmission smooth. I drove it smoother than my car that I have had for 14 months. But I do have an engine torque dampener which essentially stiffens my motor mount. Even though I wasnt used to the gearing, in literally 2 minutes, I was able to downshift and rev match perfectly without any jerking the MCS. The combination of smooth mechanics with low end torque is bringing me back to the Mini dealership this weekend. Hopefully I can picking up a 09 MCS...now im just debating between the regular one or clubman.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:05 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The easiest way to learn to drive stick is start on a flat surface or a slight downward incline, and slowly release the clutch in first gear -- without touching the gas. Your Mini will go. You will learn how to go faster using the gas later just by driving the car. Automatics are boring!!!!!!

Old 10-03-2009, 09:08 PM
malteseracer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BMBULBE
The easiest way to learn to drive stick is start on a flat surface or a slight downward incline, and slowly release the clutch in first gear -- without touching the gas. Your Mini will go. You will learn how to go faster using the gas later just by driving the car. Automatics are boring!!!!!!
+1
Let the clutch out til it catches and starts to move.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Agent.COOPER
3rd Gear
I learned how to drive a stick shift starting in my friend's 06 Cooper S... or rather, the first two lessons. I bought my 09 R56 Cooper and that's how I've been learning since. Four months later I am much preferring driving a stick shift to an automatic. I love it. I feel so much more in tune with the car but I still have a HELL of a time with first gear on some days. I often let the clutch out completely before giving it gas, but it takes too long for me to start. When I try to give it gas as I'm letting the clutch out, the car starts to buck. I'll eventually figure it out.

It was very easy for me to learn though, have not yet driven any other stick shifts so I can't compare, but I'm very curious to.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Pinky Demon
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would recommend standardshift.com for all you new stick drivers. They got a great board with a bunch of knowledgeable people over there, who can really help you new guys out with any questions you might have about driving a manual.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I guess you could say I qualify here. I did start to learn on a friend Jeep Wrangler, then my dads RX-8, then my dads Mitsubishi Lancer (after he traded the RX-8.) With a bit of a friends 05 MCSC. But, my R57 was the first car I had as a daily driver that was a stick. What fun.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:28 AM
TRL
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no right answer to the "get a stick?" question.

I have two sons, one 20 and one 18. Both have sticks (Accord and Integra), both wanted sticks when we aquired thier cars. Both learned from friends. One day they just knew how. The 18 year old has told me he probably will switch to an automatic next time, while the other one, after driving my automatic family car for two weeks while his car was in the shop, was miserable with it and couldn't wait to get his stick back. Go figure.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:00 PM
MiniZig
Neutral
I always wanted to learn to drive stick, so when I got my first MINI this summer I made sure it was a manual. My brother gave me basic lessons a few months earlier, but I didn't have enough practice for the hour ride home. One week after getting my MINI, my mazda's alternator broke and it was the best thing that could have happened because it forced me to keep motoring. I just avoided the hills and eventually I got the hang of it. I love it

Old 10-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Jeremy1026
I will be teaching a friend to drive a stick on my R57 Tuesday. She kept saying how much she wanted to learn, so I offered to teach her and she got super excited. I hope I am a good teacher.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:46 PM
MiniZig
Neutral
Sounds like it will be fun. One thing you could consider is covering up the tach. My brother did that when he taught me and I learned to listen to the engine to know when to shift vs. staring at the rpms

Last edited by MiniZig; 10-18-2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Jeremy1026
Originally Posted by MiniZig
Sounds like it will be fun. One thing you could consider is covering up the tach. My brother did that when he taught me and I learned to listen to the engine to know when to shift vs. staring at the rpms
I like that idea.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
I will be teaching a friend to drive a stick on my R57 Tuesday. She kept saying how much she wanted to learn, so I offered to teach her and she got super excited. I hope I am a good teacher.
Have lots and lots of patience. Also, try not to cringe when she makes mistakes--if you want the relationship to last.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:14 PM
MeanAndMellowMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Have lots and lots of patience. Also, try not to cringe when she makes mistakes--if you want the relationship to last.
Lol, great advice! That's what I would have the most trouble with if anyone drove my car. The girl I'm seeing likes my car and asked if she could learn. I very politely suggested an alternative car to learn on

Old 10-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Jeremy1026
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I think there is some extra lee-way in a friendship. I don't know if my girlfriend would like if I considered it a 'relationship' with this girl .

Her first lesson wasn't horrible. She had a hard time with 'blipping' the throttle and shifting. She kept revving to just about redline when attempting to shift, which obviously didn't work that well. Her excuse though, "I like the way it sounds."

Old 10-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
My buddy gave me a few lessons in highschool in his about to fall apart VW. 3 years later i picked up a 2004 Focus SVT that had a 6 speed getrag. Drove it home stalling a bunch of times but i made it. It was really only the hills that gave be problems in the begining. 2 years later i got my 07 MCs and then 2 years later my 09 MCs (lease to finance). Best skill i ever learned.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:42 PM
RedAndBlackMiniS
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I bought mine not knowing how to drive stick... and was driving it on my own 2 hours after I got it! It's a very easy car to drive. Now I wouldn't go back to an automatic.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
RESURRECTION

thread had been asleep since 10-26-2009

Old 05-25-2012, 02:29 PM
MinMin2010
5th Gear
I am not new to driving a manual shift vehicle. Been doing it for 40 years. I have driven motorcycles, tractors, and vehicles with "three on the tree", "four on the floor", "five speeds", and "six speeds". I will have to say that my 2009 MCS 6 spd. is one of the easiest manual transmissions I have ever operated. For a beginner, it would be very easy to learn with.