R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Taking the Plunge

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:42 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking the Plunge

Well it had to happen sooner or later. My bonus check arrived and that was the final hurdle in ordering the Mini. Hopefully I'll be going in this weekend to place the order.

I've been lurking for a while and active for a bit more so I'm pretty familiar with a lot of the issues these unique cars can have. I wanted to get everyones opinion on the proposed build before placing the order as I respect all your opinions and expertise.

Here's what I'm looking at:
2008 Cooper S
PS/B
White signals
Premium and convenience pkg's
LSD
6-speed manual
16" bridge spoke (perf)
Xenons
Rear fogs
Cloth seats
Chrome line interior
Anthracite headliner
Brushed alloy surface

In the short term:
I'll have the windows/snrf tinted and stripes from AC put on.

I'm hoping to get some mats out of the dealer, if not I'll probably grab a set of CoCo's.

For the long term:
A set of 17" OZ Ultraleggera Bright Silver's w/Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tires.
Garmin Nuvi w/kuda mount
Alta CAI and other goodies
Shift **** (haven't decided on wood or stainless yet)

Have I missed anything? Oh yeah and I hope to be getting my love of driving back soon, once the loooong wait is over.

Thanks for all the advice you guys have given in the past.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:03 AM
MBnAZ
1st Gear
Looks like a real nice car you've got coming. I just placed my order. Who knows, maybe we'll both be postiing our "I love it!" threads at the same time.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:20 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
Thanks, sounds like you took your time getting yours just right too. I just hope I don't go stark raving mad waiting for my little demon to get here.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:37 AM
curtis0407
2nd Gear
Well, I have to say that I am really liking your choices - especially the color!

The only change I would suggest is selecting the S Winders for your wheels - they are a couple of pounds lighter than the Bridgespokes. Otherwise, it sounds like a damn nice ride!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:34 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
That's a mighty fine color you have there. If I weren't planning on replacing the wheels anyway I'd probably go for the lighter S-Winders. As it is I like the looks of the bridgespokes more for the time being.

Thanks for the input though!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by curtis0407
The only change I would suggest is selecting the S Winders for your wheels - they are a couple of pounds lighter than the Bridgespokes. Otherwise, it sounds like a damn nice ride!
+1, especially if you plan on going for aftermarket wheels in the long term anyway.

Looks like you covered everything else; very nice specs.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by geekswrath
Oh yeah and I hope to be getting my love of driving back soon, once the loooong wait is over.
You're definitely gettin' the right car for that. I rediscovered my love for driving the second day I had mine. This is the first car I've owned that I get in and go driving around with no place in particular to go, just because I love driving it that much.

Looks like a really nice package you put together ... good luck, and hope the wait goes by quick for ya!!

Ed

Old 01-10-2008, 08:29 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks great--don't forget the DSC. Might save your butt (and your deductible) some day...

One thing, though. Have you seen the chrome line interior and the brushed alloy surface together? It just sounds like the combo of bright chrome and a fairly dull dash might clash? I could be wrong--I haven't seen it in person.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Originally Posted by geekswrath
Well it had to happen sooner or later. My bonus check arrived and that was the final hurdle in ordering the Mini. Hopefully I'll be going in this weekend to place the order.
Have I missed anything? Oh yeah and I hope to be getting my love of driving back soon, once the loooong wait is over.

Thanks for all the advice you guys have given in the past.
The problem won't be getting your love of driving back ... it will be how to get more driving time in!

The wait is long, but it's part of the MINI rite of passage. You're in good company.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:24 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Looks great--don't forget the DSC. Might save your butt (and your deductible) some day...

One thing, though. Have you seen the chrome line interior and the brushed alloy surface together? It just sounds like the combo of bright chrome and a fairly dull dash might clash? I could be wrong--I haven't seen it in person.

After much deliberation I've decided against the DSC. I realize it is a big safety item but I prefer to rely on driving skill to keep me out of tight spots and I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

As to the interior this is something I am going to need to see in person before I order. I've seen pictures of this combo and it looked good but I am a bit wary of how it will actually look. I'm normally not one for bright interiors.

Thanks for the input.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:33 AM
glangford
6th Gear
You know you can cut DSC off, but can choose to leave it on for those driving conditions where maybe you want more than driving skill to keep you safe. It's very cheap insurance and may actually reduce insurance payments. Will be mandatory on all new cars in 2012.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:00 AM
chuck r
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds perfect. I am a firm believer that with any sports car Less is More.
Have Fun
chuck

Old 01-11-2008, 07:24 AM
MBnAZ
1st Gear

I've seen it and ordered it!

Old 01-11-2008, 08:53 AM
chuck r
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO , (which is like a belly button) Chromeline interior and brushed looks awesome. You made a perfect choice in picking your options.
chuck

Old 01-11-2008, 12:56 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
There are a number of DSC threads on NAM. You might want to do some research before you nix it. Yes, you can cut it off, and I do for autocrosses. DSC can do things you couldn't possibly do--like computer-manage individual wheels when your skill isn't enough. It only cuts in when you're in serious do-do.

Please do a search and reconsider.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
There are a number of DSC threads on NAM. You might want to do some research before you nix it. Yes, you can cut it off, and I do for autocrosses. DSC can do things you couldn't possibly do--like computer-manage individual wheels when your skill isn't enough. It only cuts in when you're in serious do-do.

Please do a search and reconsider.
I second that. As glangford said, it's going to be a feature mandated by law in the very near future. That says a lot in itself as to the effectiveness of DSC.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:52 PM
AeroJammin
5th Gear
Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Another thing that sealed the deal for DSC for me is the completed toggle panel! Personally, I had to get all the "toggle" options b/c I would regret it every time I looked at the toggle panel if I didn't. Plus as others have noted, it does have a safety component. As for the turning of DSC off, I know that one of Ian's auto up circuits had a "track" option that would turn off DSC when the car is started.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
In the R56 it doesn't make a difference toggle wise. On MINI's without DSC the button simply controls ASC. While with DSC, it controls both. Also there's no auto-up circuits for the R56 yet. Kinda doubt there will be now that it's a standard feature on the '08s.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You should definitely have DSC. It wont interfere with your fun, and if you want to go drifiting, you can turn it off. As was said, your driving skill can't match it -- no matter how good you are. There is a good video of DSC in action on another thread (don't recall which). It is a different car, but the effect would be the same. The video shows a skilled driver on ice at 70 mph. He tries an obsticle course with and without DSC on. The difference is pretty significant.

If a semi jackknifes in front of you on a freeway, or someone cuts you off, DSC could mean the difference between life or death. On a canyon carving run, it could mean the difference between a "#$%@ that was close." to having your MINI wrapped around a tree, or a deer through the windsheild.

You want DSC.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:01 PM
AeroJammin
5th Gear
Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Gasp! My R56 Noobishness is exposed... must run back to the cabrio forum quickly! Still I like having DSC.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
It's here. Very interesting video. They refer to it as ESP, but the name is brand dependent so it's our DSC.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:03 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
+1.

DSC costs $500; my insurance deductible costs $1,000. Easy choice.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:29 AM
glangford
6th Gear
DSC

Well the OP seems to have split, so all our DSC urging replies have gone unanswered... It seems he has decided.

I only have a MC and was debating DSC when ordering my car last year. My MA said its not really necessary on a MC, but he strongly recommended it on a MCS. He said a MCS can 'overpower' the tires, a MC cannot. That said, I did some research and ordered it on my MC anyway.

I also would have it if only for the hill assist feature. I love it. No more manipulating the handbrake to keep from rolling backwards, and initially my driveway slopes up pretty good and with the dip at the sidewalk you can't get a running start.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:32 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
^^Very surprised your MA would say that. I can possibly understand him deeming ASC to be less of a necessity on the MC (doesn't matter anyway, since it's standard across the range) but DSC? Power output aside, unless you can challenge the law of physics and/or find a way to manually brake one wheel within milliseconds, it is quite useful.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:41 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
Originally Posted by glangford
Well the OP seems to have split, so all our DSC urging replies have gone unanswered... It seems he has decided.

Actually I haven't split, I usually only read the board while at work. I am about to go put the order in and thought I'd check one last time. I am reconsidering the DSC, though I'm not sure how I'll fit it into the budget. Oh well, I'm sure I can find $500 somewhere.

Thanks for all the input, I'm off to seal my fate.

Quick Reply: R56 Taking the Plunge