R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Vent: Houston MINI riding my butt

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't tailgate or promote tailgating. I just understand why people do it. I'm just a considerate person that knows if there is a vehicle driving at a high rate of speed behind me just move over. There is no point for me to stay in the left lane just because I'm barely doing the speed limit.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:45 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by littlehandegan
Im not going to answer your ?, because i dont care, if someones on your bumper, 9 times out of 10 you need to get over.

I really cant stand whiners on the forums

Jack
1) Another personal attack.

2) Promoting unsafe driving.

Mods why is this being tolerated on this board?

For the record, my viewpoint is such that I get just as frustrated as anyone else with slow drivers blocking the fast lane. However I refuse to be the type of person that endangers another by tailgating those blocking the fast lane.

You obviously are not.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:59 AM
gjhsu
5th Gear
I just think common sense should rule every motoring decision by all drivers.

If you're being tailgated, doesn't matter if you're going 10 under or 30 over, move over. Sure, it's not right of them to be tailgating, but two wrongs don't make a right (it makes a wrong^2). Hell, if I'm being tailgated in the RIGHT lane, I move to the left, let them pass, and move back over. It's not that difficult.

You are only in control of you and your vehicle, not the other person.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:00 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Halifax
Hey ACEkraut11... I have one of those Triumphs, too:
NICE car! Like the color, bet it looks a whole lot better in person too. Mine photographs well but yours has obviously been nicely restored. Do you know Bob Danielson in CT?

Aaron

Old 01-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JohnBLZ

For the record, my viewpoint is such that I get just as frustrated as anyone else with slow drivers blocking the fast lane. However I refuse to be the type of person that endangers another by tailgating those blocking the fast lane.

You obviously are not.
Can someone make him a Mod? So he doesn't have to tattle tale.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:20 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Originally Posted by robrob
How inconsiderate. If you see faster moving traffic coming up then add a little throttle and get out of the passing lane. It takes about 10 seconds to drive by someone at 5mph, it sounds like you passed that guy at a much slower speed.

Wake up, you are part of the problem--and that's the real issue here. The people that are the problem don't see it that way. I know this sounds harsh but maybe it'll wake a few people up.

It's not personal, the other driver isn't trying to "show you he's number 1," he's just trying to get somewhere quicker than you. Please, just move out of the way.
Originally Posted by BrandonH
Shame on you you could have cause a serious accident. Your attitude was just as bad as the guy behind you. There seems to be 2 different views on tailgating. 1 Its all the guys fault behind me he needs to slow down 2 let me get out of the faster car's way so no one gets hurt what side of the fence are you ?????
Interesting response from the two of you. I am not one of those people who pulls into the passing lane and stays there and I always move over when someone faster than me comes up behind me, even if I am passing a bunch of cars also. But the two of you seem to think I was in the wrong because I didnt mash my accelerator in order to allow someone who was traveling well above the speed limit and who tailgated me just because the guy had to wait all of 15 seconds for me to finish my legal pass of someone who was going slower than me? And I am the one who is being inconsiderate and unsafe? Whatever happened to common courtesy or basic driving skills? If you come up on a slower moving car passing another car then you slow down, wait your turn and pass when you can. Robrob you say that I was inconsiderate because I caused the guy to slow down for 15 seconds? And I did pull out of the way as soon as I could. And Brandon you say that there are two sides I can be on and suggest that I was on the wrong side. I DID get out of his way, just as soon as I could safely pull in after passing the vehicle next to me. Were either of you driving that truck and it was YOU that I pissed off?

Old 01-14-2008, 01:50 PM
BrandonH
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ACEkraut11
Brandon you say that there are two sides I can be on and suggest that I was on the wrong side. I DID get out of his way, just as soon as I could safely pull in after passing the vehicle next to me. Were either of you driving that truck and it was YOU that I pissed off?
The right of way is ALWAYS given. If people(not you ace) would drive RIGHT, using their mirrors frequently, turn signals, check their blind spot, and other safe driving practices (ei using the left lane for passing ONLY) there would be 80% less tailgating. The USoftheA has some of the worst drivers ever. I say we should adopt Germany's driver license program. Take a test every year. Get cops to stop writing tickets for speeding but for unsafe driving instead. I guaranty that members of BOTH sides of this argument would find that have a sweet mini coop in the garage but no longer have a license to drive it. Tailgating is WRONG but not responding PROPERLY to being tailgated is really just as bad.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:56 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
The right of way is ALWAYS given. If people(not you ace) would drive RIGHT, using their mirrors frequently, turn signals, check their blind spot, and other safe driving practices (ei using the left lane for passing ONLY) there would be 80% less tailgating. The USoftheA has some of the worst drivers ever. I say we should adopt Germany's driver license program. Take a test every year. Get cops to stop writing tickets for speeding but for unsafe driving instead. I guaranty that members of BOTH sides of this argument would find that have a sweet mini coop in the garage but no longer have a license to drive it. Tailgating is WRONG but not responding PROPERLY to being tailgated is really just as bad.
I agree with everything you have said, and I DID everything you said, that is why I had a hard time understanding your response that I could have caused an accident and shame on me.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:37 PM
BrandonH
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ACEkraut11
I must admit I was juvenile at that point as I cruised in the traveling lane and I just smiled until he was done with his tirade and decided to move on.....then I saluted him. Which of course caused him to hit the brakes and start his speech all over again. I smiled for that too. I hope he was late to wherever he was going. I DIDN'T see him in the ditch up ahead.
That is what i was talking about (the shame on you) The words juvenile should never refer to something done in a car (on a public road with other people present)I mean even you knew it was wrong, trying to get a reaction from an aggressive driver is like slamming on your brakes when he was behind you. We all make bad calls from time to time is what I have been saying this whole time , people who get tailgated usually make very bad judgment calls on what to do. Sorry if i have offended anyone its just my opinion.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:02 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
That is what i was talking about (the shame on you)
Aha, I understand now. I suppose you are correct. I wasnt upset at the time I did it, not that that makes it any better or worse. Guess I was just pushing his buttons for being a rather unpleasant human being. In my defense, I didnt do anything to provoke him BEFORE the salute and all I wanted to do was show him that I didnt really care for his driving style or his reaction. Ok, shame on me.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:07 PM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
Originally Posted by JohnBLZ

You obviously are not.

In what way was that a "Personal Attack"??? there are plenty of whiners on this board, i can whine sometimes myself

And how is that promotoing unsafe driving??? Did I say and illegal speep limit, in the state of South it says "Slower Vehicles keep left"....

Jack

Old 01-14-2008, 03:17 PM
chili_red07
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gjhsu
Hell, if I'm being tailgated in the RIGHT lane, I move to the left, let them pass, and move back over. It's not that difficult.
But how hard is it for the faster car to move over into the left lane?

Recently I was traveling (at the posted speed limit) on a local highway. It was night, and there was very little traffic. This... gentleman... comes flying up behind me, riding my @ss. Then, he decides to blind me with his high-beams for a solid 45 second or so. This leads to another 30 seconds of high-beam flashing. Finally he pulls into the left lane to pass, then abruptly cuts me off (with no signal, of course) and SLAMS on his brakes, to the point that its a miracle I didn't hit him. So now Capt. @sshole and I are traveling 35 mph in a 55. Ok... point made. After a few miles of this I decide I'm going to pass him. So he swerves in front of me as I change lanes, and slams on (no exaggeration) the brakes again. I decided it wasn't worth dying over and continued to follow this ***** at 35 mph until I reached my exit.

I agree that it can be frustrating to be behind someone who feels like driving slower than the speed limit, but in a situation where there are multiple lanes of travel drive around the slower car. And if they are driving the limit, there isn't a whole lot you can complain about.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I'd ask that EVERYONE be respectful to other posters in this thread or it will be locked.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Kelly Girl
Banned
tailgating/drafting?

if someone wants to ride my *** on the highway, I charge them.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:44 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelly Girl
tailgating/drafting?

if someone wants to ride my *** on the highway, I charge them.
I trade paint with 'em! lol

Old 01-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Kelly Girl
Banned
usually i just downshift, and take my foot of the gas.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Or you have my situation where you're practically run off the road trying to get out of the way and you meet an untimely fate.

All I'm going to say is be vigilant and mindful of who's coming up behind you and get the heck out of the way.

Last edited by Krut; 01-14-2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-14-2008, 04:39 PM
goaljnky
Banned
I hate people who can't park between the painted lines. At any speed.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:43 PM
kalbone
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DuongR56
Can someone make him a Mod? So he doesn't have to tattle tale.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:09 PM
BrandonH
3rd Gear
On my end i do ask for forgiveness to Ace for trying to reprimand him. And to everyone else in this thread for whom i might have offended as well. Safe driving practices on busy freeways is very important. I am guilty of transgressions, Not really stopping for some stop signs, unsafe cornering, and I do drive really fast some times. I do try to avoid doing this during busy parts of the day and limit it to 4 in the morning. Me and my wife had just moved to deep into the heart of the city from the suburbs. Durring my first trip out i was almost killed by 3 different people at 3 different times. Health care reform isn't the only thing that needs attention. The Dmv just sells licenses to ANYONE now a days, i mean they really do. Just try it with a fake name and photocopies of altered birth certs actually really easy to get 2 or more state issue fake ids. There is a problem with the drivers in the states and this thread is a result of it. Shame on me to

Old 01-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's a stretch of an anology, but it makes the point.

people who get tailgated usually make very bad judgment calls on what to do. Sorry if i have offended anyone its just my opinion.
People who get raped were just asking for it... This is wrong and all of your claims that come down to laying blame on those that are 'gated are as well.

Now tailgating is ILLEGAL. The fact that it's rarely inforced is unimportant. It's not safe, nor is it wise. It's perfectly OK for anyone at about the speed limit to get pissed off about being tailgated, independant of the fact that prevailing speeds may be over the speed limit. While it's also prudent to not stay in the way, this is just self preserving wisdom, and not a required act needed to be in complience with the law. The tailgater is the one that is forcing others to accomidate their selfish action, and no amount of explanation about what is usual or done by many will change any of it. I'm actually shocked at some of the comments I read in this thread.

Matt

Old 01-14-2008, 05:19 PM
BrandonH
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
People who get raped were just asking for it... This is wrong and all of your claims that come down to laying blame on those that are 'gated are as well.

Now tailgating is ILLEGAL. The fact that it's rarely inforced is unimportant. It's not safe, nor is it wise. It's perfectly OK for anyone at about the speed limit to get pissed off about being tailgated, independant of the fact that prevailing speeds may be over the speed limit. While it's also prudent to not stay in the way, this is just self preserving wisdom, and not a required act needed to be in complience with the law. The tailgater is the one that is forcing others to accomidate their selfish action, and no amount of explanation about what is usual or done by many will change any of it. I'm actually shocked at some of the comments I read in this thread.

Matt

Old 01-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
. I'm actually shocked at some of the comments I read in this thread.

Matt
+1

Old 01-14-2008, 05:31 PM
going4speed
4th Gear

Originally Posted by donato
Are you sure you aren't mad that your mini was the "girl"?

Old 01-14-2008, 05:32 PM
going4speed
4th Gear
Not me a slow driver. I cannot keep this thing under 90!!

I pulled on to sam houston with traffic in front off me

Originally Posted by DuongR56
If you're getting tailgated you're driving too slow.

Quick Reply: R56 Vent: Houston MINI riding my butt