R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Vent: Houston MINI riding my butt

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 08:10 AM
going4speed
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vent: Houston MINI riding my butt

I was on the way to work yesterday. Pulled onto the highway and was getting tail gated by a mini

One would expect that someone driving a mini would understand how we feel about tailgating.

Vent mode off

Old 01-12-2008, 08:24 AM
MrVvrroomm
3rd Gear
Sure he wasn't simply drafting? LOL

Old 01-12-2008, 08:35 AM
Charlie Croker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MrVvrroomm
Sure he wasn't simply drafting? LOL
Sounds like he was lonely and wanted to "bond"

I had a Hummer try to do that to me here in San Antonio, finally had to leave him in the dust.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've actually had a MINI do that to me as well. Pretty sure he was just drafting.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:21 PM
BrandonH
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by going4speed
I was on the way to work yesterday. Pulled onto the highway and was getting tail gated by a mini

One would expect that someone driving a mini would understand how we feel about tailgating.

Vent mode off
If it was a mcs rb5 ab/ab w/ tinted tail lights it could have been me. What color do you drive.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:17 PM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
why expect/assume that? a special car doesn't make for a better driver...

Originally Posted by going4speed

Old 01-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
If you're getting tailgated you're driving too slow.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:44 PM
C2W
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DuongR56

Old 01-12-2008, 04:46 PM
jlevy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think it was me...

Tailgating bothers me too. Houston does seem to have it's share of idiots: people who can't seem to plan ahead and cut off people just feet before their exit, people who think the far left lane has their name on it regardless of speed, etc. I avoid peak traffic hours whenever possible.

-JL

Last edited by jlevy; 01-12-2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: I swear it's the keyboard and not my typing skills...
Old 01-12-2008, 08:10 PM
greylight
3rd Gear
Sad to hear a fellow MINI owner would tailgate another MINI.

I have also noticed that other drivers end up stopping awfully close behind me at traffic lights. I know they're probably leaving the same distance as they do for other cars, but the back of the MINI is so close to the front seat, they fill up my rear window - it just takes some getting used to.

gl

Old 01-13-2008, 12:23 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
No. If you're getting tailgated you're having your life rndangered by one who believes he/she is more important than you.

Get over yourself.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:29 AM
kreative
4th Gear
almost had a CR/W run me off the road while trying to enter the freeway (i was driving another car)...woman was chewing her nails and not looking (or signalling) at all, just decided to merge in...i was so pissed!

Old 01-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JohnBLZ
No. If you're getting tailgated you're having your life rndangered by one who believes he/she is more important than you.

Get over yourself.
ok grandpa

Old 01-13-2008, 12:24 PM
BrandonH
3rd Gear
My thought on tailgating is GET OUT OF THE WAY. Any time i have ever had someone to close to my rear bumper i let them pass. You give people the right of way. People should stop thinking they are some sort of rolling speed limit sign. If some one wants to drive like a maniac LET THEM just stay out of their way. And if you must send them a message don't brake just to get them off your rear, just let off the gas they will get the hint in 3.......2........1........pass. If you tap the brake and an accident happens indirectly and someone gets hurt???thats on YOU.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BrandonH
My thought on tailgating is GET OUT OF THE WAY. Any time i have ever had someone to close to my rear bumper i let them pass. You give people the right of way. People should stop thinking they are some sort of rolling speed limit sign. If some one wants to drive like a maniac LET THEM just stay out of their way. And if you must send them a message don't brake just to get them off your rear, just let off the gas they will get the hint in 3.......2........1........pass. If you tap the brake and an accident happens indirectly and someone gets hurt???thats on YOU.
+1. The left lane is meant for passing anyway, so if you're not doing that then stay out of the way. I very seldom see someone getting tailgated in a middle or right-hand lane.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:42 PM
donato
3rd Gear
Are you sure you aren't mad that your mini was the "girl"?

Old 01-13-2008, 02:39 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
ok grandpa

1) Personal Attack.

2) Promoting driving in an unsafe manner.

I'm not one for blowing the whistle, but I have zero tolerance for those who are self-righteous enough to endanger anothers life.

I drive too fast much more oft than I should but I do NOT tailgate and I do NOT cut people off. If I'm in the middle lane or right lane going X speed then by god I'm doing x speed and get off my ***. I get just as frustrated as anyone else at that individual who blocks the 'fast' lane but I refuse to be the guy that endangers another persons life because I want to move a little faster. We all bleed red.

Morality, apply it.

And I do repeat, get over yourself.

(For the record, I'm in my early 30's, early enough I still don't like admitting it.)

Last edited by JohnBLZ; 01-13-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
1) Personal Attack.

I'm not one for blowing the whistle, but I have zero tolerance for those who are self-righteous enough to endanger anothers life.

I drive too fast much more oft than I should but I do NOT tailgate and I do NOT cut people off. If I'm in the middle lane or right lane going X speed then by god I'm doing x speed and get off my ***. I get just as frustrated as anyone else at that individual who blocks the 'fast' lane but I refuse to be the guy that endangers another persons life because I want to move a little faster. We all bleed red.

Morality, apply it.

Well said.

Honestly I'm 20 years old and can say that "ok grandpa" reply was juvenile, stupid, and kind of a low blow. So now driving like an idiot, riding someone's a*s is the young, right way to drive your car?

Old 01-13-2008, 05:30 PM
misslindsey
5th Gear
Get a 3rd brake light pulsar. People seem to stay back a little better once they see it. I wouldn't like it flashing right in my face, either. And when people do pull up WAY too close at stoplights, I pull the ebrake and flash it at them 'till it turns green. Mature, I know - but seriously, you don't know that I have hill start assist, you're putting your own bumper at the mercy of my left foot.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:55 PM
jthorst75
3rd Gear
one of the few things i like about driving in germany is riding someones tail is against the law and it is against the law to drive in the left lane if your intention is not passing. there are hefty fines for this and it really changed my mind from when i was in the states driving like a mad dog. at least i had respect for others when driving; but the drive is always fun when your in a mini!

Old 01-13-2008, 06:01 PM
F13rc3dr4g0n
Not short, fun size!
1) Personal Attack.

Morality, apply it.

Originally Posted by Msteadman
Well said.

Honestly I'm 20 years old and can say that "ok grandpa" reply was juvenile, stupid, and kind of a low blow. So now driving like an idiot, riding someone's a*s is the young, right way to drive your car?
Well said... i'm 21 and hate to see someone tailgate me then pass me after i move over and shoot me the finger... its not like you're going to get there faster by getting mad at me for passing a car... besides, you'll just have another person get in front of you as well... road rage is increasing and people need to just calm down behind the wheel and if you see someone wanting to pass, move over and let them... i dunno how other states are but here, if there is a 2 lane road and a shoulder and if someone wants to pass but there are no opportunities, we pull over to the shoulder so we can be passed just to avoid an accident later on... it what Texans do... i've seen it in all parts of Texas
what's the point in getting mad? that's like fighting over a parking spot, let the other person have it and MOVE ON!

Old 01-13-2008, 06:53 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Msteadman
I very seldom see someone getting tailgated in a middle or right-hand lane.
I take it you don't drive in Austin, then.

-W-

Old 01-13-2008, 06:56 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
It was probably a r53 driver who wanted to prove something.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:57 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
How does it go??

Everyone slower than me is a jerk and everyone driving faster than me is a maniac!

Old 01-13-2008, 07:20 PM
robrob
2nd Gear
The Peoples' Republic of Austin ain't Texas!

I would say most of the time people get tailgated because they aren't paying enough attention to their rear view mirror and don't realize how much of a rolling road block they've become. Don't take tailgating personally, just move over and let the guy pass and next time try to see him coming and move over before he has to brake for you. I drive fast but I really try to keep my situational awareness and move right for faster traffic. No matter how fast you drive there's always someone driving faster. Keep your ego in check and let him/her go...

Rob
UT of Austin class of '86

Texas, it' a whole 'nuther country. (this line is misprounced in the comercials)

Last edited by robrob; 01-13-2008 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: R56 Vent: Houston MINI riding my butt