R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 NitroTires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:02 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by flyboy2160
why don't we just steal some documents from ferrari and settle this once and for all....
Lordie, no--we had ENUFF trouble with Stepneygate!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:44 PM
glangford
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cristo
Agree with water vapor acting approximately as nitrogen, oxygen, or
the hypothetical ideal gas, but what about the phase transition between
liquid water and water vapor. As the tire heats up, more goes into vapor,
and when it cools down, some condenses, which would act similar to
adding air when the tire is hot and removing it when it's cold.

Not sure if enough of this happens to make a measurable difference, but
could probably be calculated. If I have time I'll try to make an estimate,
but I'm not with my old physics and chemistry books right now.
Calculation is rather straight forward. Just look up the vapor pressure of water at the two temperatures of interest, then subtract. (Handbook of Physics and Chemistry). But recognize you have to have enough liquid water in the tire to actually saturate the entire volume at the vapor pressure, kind of doubtful.

I too use an old fashion high volume bicycle pump. About 6-7 pumps per psi. (15 in. tires on a MC). If one is that worried about water vapor, just pump up your tires with a bicycle pump on a very cold dry morning, when the dew point is in the teens. The air is pretty dry then. Don't pump it up when its raining (air saturated), or there is fog, or significant dew on the grass in the morning.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:48 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 207 Likes on 171 Posts
I agree. I think I'll stop now while I think I'm ahead.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:01 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by glangford
just pump up your tires with a bicycle pump on a very cold dry morning, when the dew point is in the teens. The air is pretty dry then.
Most shops that run equipment off their air compressors will usually have an inline dryer to catch most of the moisture in the lines/compressed air, which is a lot less effort.
When I was working on PCA racecars we used bottled nitrogen for everything from the tires & shocks to the built-in jacks. You still get some pressure change as the tires heat up, but it's more consistent, no need to debate the physics.

Having your pressure change as the tires heat up is NOT an old racers trick, it's just something you have to deal with/account for, same as the tires adhesion as the rubber changes temp. In an ideal world you'd have nice sticky tires from the time the green flag to the checkered.

In a street driven car your tire pressure's going to change more based on the ambient temp. then your driving style, not worth worrying about. If you're really ****, spend that $40 on a good pressure gauge and check your tires on a regular basis. A nice gauge will last you the rest of your motoring lifetime.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:18 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to know about the in line dryer.