R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Scared driving my MINI

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 04:22 PM
johne123
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Arnbut
When I'm elected King, every SUV and pick-up owner will have to take & pass a specific driver's curriculum for that type of vehicle.
I hear that. Just like I had to take a separate test for Motorcycles years ago (that was horribly inadequate), one's license test should be based on the type of vehicle you own. Then again, just having real driver's ed in this country would be a big step forward.

One day I mentioned to a co-worker I had to leave early to pick up my car with new snow tires. She asked if I live in the mountains. No, I said, "I just like having traction in the snow" "Oh, well I've never skidded in my Durango," the co-worker replied. There was no point in continuing the conversation at that point.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:34 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's always been a sardonic amusement to watch people learn in winter--at slow speeds-- that just because it goes doesn't mean it slows.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:03 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johne123
I hear that. Just like I had to take a separate test for Motorcycles years ago (that was horribly inadequate), one's license test should be based on the type of vehicle you own. Then again, just having real driver's ed in this country would be a big step forward.

One day I mentioned to a co-worker I had to leave early to pick up my car with new snow tires. She asked if I live in the mountains. No, I said, "I just like having traction in the snow" "Oh, well I've never skidded in my Durango," the co-worker replied. There was no point in continuing the conversation at that point.
My GA M/C endorsement consisted of, "do you want a motorcycle endorsement?" "Yup."

And I think that I'm the only one at work, in my sub-division, or in the AtlantaMINIS with snow tires...

And here's my wife on the bike:

Old 01-23-2008, 05:19 AM
Littlesha
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by johne123
........"Oh, well I've never skidded in my Durango," the co-worker replied. There was no point in continuing the conversation at that point.
Ha haa. Nope, that conversation was surely dead at that point.

Let me tell you about how a good friend almost bit the dust in HER Durango here in FLORIDA because of traction.

It was this past Xmas morning, she was driving at 9am (ZERO people on the road), and we think the oily buildup on the highway is what caused her wheels to not work as planned. She was making a sharp curved turn going from I-95 to get onto 595, and the turn didn't work....her wheels got a mind of their own (again, we think thanks to the oil buildup since no cars were driving on the highway at the time) and proceeded to bring the Durango UP THE WALL of the ramp. She was literally able to look down and see everything below her....WAY below her. The car thankfully SLOWLY slid back down the wall. Then it started to smoke and of course her doors wouldn't open. She was not wearing a seatbelt, as some police officers here suggest (to their close friends/ relatives) not to wear one because, in an accident, there's sometimes a chance you'd have to slice your seatbelt off of you. Not to say seatbelts don't save lives...but there are certainly differences of opinions. (I personally do wear mine.) Finally, she forced one of the doors open (this took a bit of time), and a woman had stopped her car and helped her. The Durango was ready for the trash bin at this point.

So TRACTION? Yeah, I'd say anyone concerned with traction is pretty right on.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:23 AM
MKIR53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by steveng
Anyone else feel like this?
Not at all.

I have driven many different sized cars with completely different feels since I started driving, and the 2 cars I have felt safest in were the 2 cars that I felt most connected to in terms of road-feel.Those would be my '82 Leyland MINI and my current 03 MCS.

As much as perception plays into your feelings as a driver (small car = less safe, large car = very safe) whether those perceptions are founded or unfounded, so too does the confidence you have in yourself as a driver. This is an enourmous factor.
I just happen to be very confident in my abilities as a driver. Granted, my confidence may be unfounded, and misplaced, but as a result of that confidence, I don't feel threatened in my MINI.

I agree with most people in this thread who suggest that giving it time will likely help. But one thing to consider is a driving class in your own car.
having professional instructions in your own car will not only teach you the limitations of you car, but it will increase your awareness as a driver so your actions and reactions become second nature and less concious. it can also just be real fun.

incidentally, the 2 cars I felt the least safe in were a Honda S2000 and an '84 Fiat Spider Pininfarina.
Convertibles.
For me, that's the only thing that makes me nervous, and I don't even know why. So no more convertibles for me.

anyway. good luck. hope you stick with it.