R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sport button

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:11 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Historically you guys have it all wrong. Alex Issganus wanted Special, John Cooper wanted Sport. Maybe I have it backwards, but the bottom line is that they compromised and called it the S. BMW carried it over for the MINI. S doesn't mean Super Charger, nor Special, or Sport. It means "S"

I totally agree that they need to have it default as ON when you start up. Or atleast an option to have it default at start up. Where is Ian Cull and the R56 Auto Up when we need him!

Last edited by DrDiff; 01-25-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:53 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DrDiff
Or at least an option to have it default at start up.
I think this is the solution. For me driving manual, I want it on, but only because I prefer the throttle map...other drivers of manuals I know don't want it on at all. Even moreso for automatic drivers because sport-mode affects shift points. It really is a driver preference thing and there is no one mode-setting that's gonna work for all. That being the case, I suppose if you have to choose, "off" is the safest bet, right?

As for the "S" name....always fascinating stuff given the quirky interface between Cooper and Issigonis. In light of the compromise, I'm officially going with "Special" or "Sport"...hang the politics or the facts. I have a Mini poster (German, I think) that says, "super" but I'm quite certain they got it wrong and only proves it's been a point of speculation for many years.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:10 AM
NoModMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
I

As for the "S" name....always fascinating stuff given the quirky interface between Cooper and Issigonis. In light of the compromise, I'm officially going with "Special" or "Sport"...hang the politics or the facts. I have a Mini poster (German, I think) that says, "super" but I'm quite certain they got it wrong and only proves it's been a point of speculation for many years.
___________________________________-

...probably influenced by the same vintage 1960-65 Porsche 356 which designated its "S" as a "Super" and "SC" as a "Super Carrera"

Old 01-25-2008, 02:07 PM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrDiff

I totally agree that they need to have it default as ON when you start up. Or atleast an option to have it default at start up. Where is Ian Cull and the R56 Auto Up when we need him!
I agree!

Old 01-25-2008, 02:26 PM
russr
5th Gear
Someone suggested that w/o the sport button being on, the boost on the S doesn't activate. That isn't the case is it?

Old 01-25-2008, 02:30 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Maybe I'm different, but I have mine on except when I'm doing spirited twisty roads because it takes less effort to turn the steering wheel with it off. I don't have to turn the wheel more degrees, but it's not as much work to turn. On those roads the throttle response isn't missed because I'm usually on it more anyway. On freeways I like it on because it's harder to turn the car from straight. Make sense?

Old 01-26-2008, 06:02 AM
Minerva Louise
3rd Gear
Ultimately, you're not seeing a default ON or even the option of that from the factory, because of the fuel milage thing. As long as it is default OFF they can claim the lower numbers. This is not quite as big a deal for a standard but for the automatic it definitely affects the numbers. The automakers face big fines when their fleet averages are too high.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:52 AM
byhsu
4th Gear
Originally Posted by russr
Someone suggested that w/o the sport button being on, the boost on the S doesn't activate. That isn't the case is it?
I have it off most of the time. when i need more speed i just press the gas more and let it rev to 4k or 5k rpm. You can feel the boost. Is just that with the button on, when you press the gas the car reacts faster, in the way that the boost comes in sooner, because the rpm goes up faster. When you press the gas a little with the button on, is similar as when you press the gas more with the button off.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never turn on the sport mode. I really do not care for how it alters the steering of Romi.

That said, I think it should be something you can program as a default. One way or the other. Unless it has some negative impact during the warm up of the engine, I see no reason why Mini could not make it a programmable option.