R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sport button

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 06:39 AM
Lamcc83
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sport button

My 08 MCS is less than a week old.

One thing that bothers me is that I have to enable the sport button EVERY time I start the car.

Isn't this what the S on the MCS means? Sport? Why do they treat it more as an option than the standard? I agree that you should be able to disable it, but shouldn't it be something like DSC where the default is that it stays on until you tell it to take a hike?

...or is this just my car?

Old 01-24-2008, 06:58 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Others would prefer it stay on as well and I believe some folks have done a mod to do just this. You might investigate.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:08 AM
ianparcher
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad its off at start up. I dont want the trans to shift at 4-5k all the time. When ever i want a little "Sport" I can hit the button. I would have gotten a manual if I wanted full all out sport. Only thing I wish was the trans would start in 1st when in full auto mode.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:17 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
I leave mine off most of the time. That way, the change always amazes me whenever I DO press it. Tricks me into thinking my MINI is even faster than it is!

Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 AM
sunshine22
2nd Gear
The S in MCS mean your engine is turbo charged. I have a 6 speed and don't notice much difference when I turn on sport mode.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:02 AM
COOP310
5th Gear
The steering is definately tighter with the sport button on. It would be nice to be able to enable this at startup!

Old 01-24-2008, 11:06 AM
djam43
6th Gear
You definitely notice the difference in the Sport mode versus standard mode in the R56 automatic.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:14 AM
atn57
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Lamcc83
My 08 MCS is less than a week old.

One thing that bothers me is that I have to enable the sport button EVERY time I start the car.

Isn't this what the S on the MCS means? Sport? Why do they treat it more as an option than the standard? I agree that you should be able to disable it, but shouldn't it be something like DSC where the default is that it stays on until you tell it to take a hike?

...or is this just my car?

The S on the MCS is for supercharge not for sport. Now that the mini is tubrocharge it should be MCT LOL.... Nope I like it MCS!

Old 01-24-2008, 11:30 AM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
you can definitely mod it to come on automatically at start up...check out the thread in the electrical mods section, I'm the one who added the pics, the easiest method in my opinion is to just buy the circuit card that Coffeeman mentions, the mod is not that difficult to do, it's really more time consuming to get all the parts together, so maybe I should just put a kit together for people to buy.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Minerva Louise
3rd Gear
I have the automatic transmission, and I love that the sport button can be either on or off. That way, the performance is there when I want it, but I can motor in the thrifty-mode and save some gas when I am just puttering around. And as has been mentioned before, when you push that button after driving with it off for a while, WOW!!!! It is kindof like having two cars in one!

What all does the button do? I know it does steering and shift points for the auto transmission, anything else? Does it change the fuel mapping? If so, keep in mind that they get the fuel economy numbers with the button off, and probably will keep the default setting as off, to help keep their (BMW) fleet fuel consumption averages down.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Modnar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rattmobbins
I leave mine off most of the time. That way, the change always amazes me whenever I DO press it. Tricks me into thinking my MINI is even faster than it is!
+1 If I'm just commuting I leave it off, but if I'm properly motoring around just for the fun of it, or showing the car off I turn it on.

Originally Posted by Minerva Louise
I have the automatic transmission, and I love that the sport button can be either on or off. That way, the performance is there when I want it, but I can motor in the thrifty-mode and save some gas when I am just puttering around. And as has been mentioned before, when you push that button after driving with it off for a while, WOW!!!! It is kindof like having two cars in one!

What all does the button do? I know it does steering and shift points for the auto transmission, anything else? Does it change the fuel mapping? If so, keep in mind that they get the fuel economy numbers with the button off, and probably will keep the default setting as off, to help keep their (BMW) fleet fuel consumption averages down.
It makes the throttle more sensitive (so more gas per amount of pedal travel vs non sport mode), so your mileage is probably going to go down, but I don't think it inherently makes the gas mileage worse. It just makes it that much easier to have a lead foot.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:48 AM
fullymooned
3rd Gear
I have a 2007 MCS and I feel like the std feels better than the sports. The steering feels much heavier and I find it difficult to navigate plus the clutch becomes tighter. Is it just my car or is this how its supposed to be. Can anyone explain to me the benefits of driving in sports? Better handling?

Old 01-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Mini_Voyager
Motorholic
Originally Posted by Modnar
+1 If I'm just commuting I leave it off, but if I'm properly motoring around just for the fun of it, or showing the car off I turn it on.

It makes the throttle more sensitive (so more gas per amount of pedal travel vs non sport mode), so your mileage is probably going to go down, but I don't think it inherently makes the gas mileage worse. It just makes it that much easier to have a lead foot.
I think Sport make the throttle much more linear than otherwise. It sure make it easier to adjust the gas to keep at the same speed, if you're using manual. If you're careful with the throttle, you can probably get the same gas mileage that you'd get without being in Sport mode.

Anyway, I think if you have good fine control over your feet, you might be able to get the same gas mileage as you'd do without Sport mode. Again, I'm talking about driving with manual transmission.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Salty
3rd Gear
I heard somewhere on this site that your overboost won't come on unless you are in sport mode

Old 01-24-2008, 12:43 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by atn57
The S on the MCS is for supercharge not for sport. Now that the mini is tubrocharge it should be MCT LOL.... Nope I like it MCS!
Wrong-o buckaroo. The "S" in MCS is for sport, not supercharged, or supercharger, or anything else starting with super.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:52 PM
atn57
4th Gear
Wrong-o buckaroo. The "S" in MCS is for sport, not supercharged, or supercharger, or anything else starting with super.
Your right I'm wrong!

Old 01-24-2008, 04:15 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Your right I'm wrong!

Old 01-24-2008, 05:16 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
I turn it on right after pushing the engine start button.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:19 PM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Give 'em any option, the default is wrong.
Pretty much a rule of thumb.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:42 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sunshine22
The S in MCS mean your engine is turbo charged. I have a 6 speed and don't notice much difference when I turn on sport mode.
wow, really?? For me its a huge difference in steering tightness as well as throttle response. Do a little test... turn the car on, let it warm up, then blip the throttle with the Sport button off. Then turn on the sport button and blip the throttle the same amount. You should definitely notice a difference.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:05 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear

nope! both not correct. You gotta go way back into minis history to find out it means "special" (like when the very first S model was made)

I do admit sport or supercharged sounds better but that's not what the S originally signified.

back on topic - I notice a big difference with the sport button on.

Last edited by MotorMouth; 01-24-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:09 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Good point w/ the automatic trannys and higher revs...this is a very good reason for defaulting it to off.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:26 PM
byhsu
4th Gear
I drive mine conservatively when going to work, can't really push the car anyways, too much traffic. I leave mine off all the time.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:00 PM
ekailee
2nd Gear
Since we're talking about the "S" button.. does moving the auto trans shift lever to the left only change the shift pts or does it also affect the throtle and stearing sensitivity?

Old 01-25-2008, 12:15 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ekailee
Since we're talking about the "S" button.. does moving the auto trans shift lever to the left only change the shift pts or does it also affect the throtle and stearing sensitivity?

only shift point.

Quick Reply: R56 Sport button