R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 The Infamous Joey Mod!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:42 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jthorst75
what paint did you use for the innner ring? how close is it to matching the body color? also is there a special type of paint you use for like heat, expansion and contraction? thanks
she used the paint offered at minspeed.net they have every color range of the MINIs available in spray cans

and yes if you are looking to paint on heated surfaces (like exhaust tips) then you need a paint that can handle heat...and usually i think the paint needs to be baked on as well

Old 01-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! That is like the icing on the cake for the rest of your car! Very well done!

Old 01-30-2008, 08:52 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Great looking R56!

Old 01-30-2008, 09:04 PM
MiniJayhawk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by checkercoop
i was wondering what peoples take would be for the halogen (non xenons) to have a joey mod be done in pepper white?

before i wanted to do it in black, but i realized i would have to leave the big scoop the light goes in stay chrome because it would not reflect.

But now im thinking that possible the pepper white would reflect enough to allow the whole thing to be done?

Anyone have any input on it?
Thank you in advance
I am going to do the Joey Mod to my standard halogen lights (non-Xenon) but I would NOT paint the back reflective surface. That needs to stay a chrome mirroed finish for proper light projection. However, the outer trim and the blinker "cylinder" can be painted without affecting the light projection.

Here is my idea (horrible MSpaint job)

Attached Thumbnails The Infamous Joey Mod!-halogen-headlight.jpg  
Old 01-30-2008, 09:12 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniJayhawk
I am going to do the Joey Mod to my standard halogen lights (non-Xenon) but I would NOT paint the back reflective surface. That needs to stay a chrome mirroed finish for proper light projection. However, the outer trim and the blinker "cylinder" can be painted without affecting the light projection.

Here is my idea (horrible MSpaint job)
yeah thats what i was originally going to do in black, but I feel like it would just be better to leave the whole thing chrome than just pieces...thats why i was thinking maybe pepper white with some really good clear coat (maybe even a metalic relective clear coat for that part?)

Old 01-30-2008, 09:21 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
I love that car's look, the blackout and the JCW aero kit. I'd love to see it in person. But I do wonder about the Joey mod affecting the headlights reflecting ahead after blacking the insides. It would be interesting to Joey one side and drive it at night and see if there's a difference, but I guess it's too late for that!

Old 01-30-2008, 10:37 PM
wetceal
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by flaco
You inspired me to do a couple for you. It's real Hayame cf on the side markers and a boot protector (I didn't like the rubber one offered by some). This cf matches the JCW cf and is easy to use. Let me know what you think.
Now that is pretty cool and VERY unique! I really like the CF boot protector! The side marker cover is pretty cool too. I'm flattered that I helped in the inspiration process of that!! I can't wait to see what else you come up with!

Originally Posted by ghosthound
I am sure celia will back me up when i say this is probably one of the cheapest and most satisfying mods you can do. It really gives the car a mean look.
YES! I agree 100%!! This is definitely an awesome mod and it only cost me about a total of $30 and about 3 hours - you can't beat that!

Originally Posted by Lagston@VinylStyles
Wow Celia! I didn't think that your MINI could look any better than it already did.
Superb!
Thanks Lyle! Now we gotta start thinking about the interior and I might be calling on you again for various parts of that

i was wondering what peoples take would be for the halogen (non xenons) to have a joey mod be done in pepper white?

before i wanted to do it in black, but i realized i would have to leave the big scoop the light goes in stay chrome because it would not reflect.

But now im thinking that possible the pepper white would reflect enough to allow the whole thing to be done?

Anyone have any input on it?
Thank you in advance
Before I did the Joey mod on my Mini, I came across a thread in my search for information by someone who had a PW that did his lights in white. He had the Xenons though. I thought it looked awesome. He also had white headlight rings so it looked very cool.

I did a quick search and here's the thread...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...joey+mod+white

However, he did leave the part around the light chrome and I personally wouldn't paint that part either, even in white. I think it would greatly decrease the amount of light put out.

she used the paint offered at minspeed.net they have every color range of the MINIs available in spray cans
Thanks for answering that question. Here's the link to the paint for anyone interested. It's about $25 a can shipped...

http://www.minspeed.net/R56SP.htm

Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I love that car's look, the blackout and the JCW aero kit. I'd love to see it in person. But I do wonder about the Joey mod affecting the headlights reflecting ahead after blacking the insides. It would be interesting to Joey one side and drive it at night and see if there's a difference, but I guess it's too late for that!
I don't think it affects the output of light really. I can't tell you for sure because I had blue Lamin-X headlight tint on before I did the Joey mod. When we did the mod, we removed the tint and I will tell you that the headlights with the mod is brighter than the headlights without the mod but with the tint!

It's too late for me to Joey one side for a test but not for you

Old 01-31-2008, 06:29 AM
MiniJayhawk
4th Gear
The Xenons are a "projector" of sorts. They project light through the lense in wetceal's light's blue rings. It doesn't reflect light like the standard halogens. Those actually shine a point light backwards on the larger reflective surface that projects the light spread forward. That is why you can't paint the rear reflective surface of the standard lights, even white. Anything else appears to be fair game, though. None of the other parts appear to assist in necessary light projection/reflection.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:48 PM
wetceal
3rd Gear
Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to post a quick follow-up to this thread/mod. It has been raining on and off here ever since we completed the Joey mod. In fact, last Thursday, it rained HARD, non-stop from about 2:30pm until about 6:30pm. I was at work during that time so the Mini was parked outside. It rained so hard that there was quite a bit of flooding all around. I've also driven my Mini through rain since the mod was done.

I am very happy to report that there have been absolutely NO problems with the seal leaking and/or moisture getting inside the headlights! I think it's safe to say that they sealed up pretty well after the mod!

Thanks,
Celia

Old 02-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Ju5tin
2nd Gear

Last edited by Ju5tin; 02-03-2008 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Sorry. Didn't realise my question was answered already.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:02 AM
cooperS2000
2nd Gear
whoa! that looks so sweet!

what a bad *** little car you have there! def my choice for hottest r56 on NAM

Old 02-07-2008, 08:12 PM
benji_mini
4th Gear
i have to agree...the car looks sick. the emblems from Lyle look incredible too

i will be doing a few mods (including the Joey mod) to my Mini shortly if the weather holds up. thanks for the pictures Celia! it honestly looks so incredible.

ill post pics when i get them and try to get a How-To with pictures and everything too...will keep everyone posted!

Old 02-07-2008, 08:40 PM
wetceal
3rd Gear
Thanks for the compliments guys!

Benji - definitely post some photos once you do the Joey-mod! I would love to see how it turns out on your mini!

Thanks,
Celia

Old 02-07-2008, 08:42 PM
benji_mini
4th Gear
Celia - what kind of semi-gloss black did you use? just any store bought semi-gloss black?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:48 PM
wetceal
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by benji_mini
Celia - what kind of semi-gloss black did you use? just any store bought semi-gloss black?
I used the Duplicolor brand of semi-gloss black which I picked up at the local auto store. I didn't feel/think it was necessary to special order any specific type of black...

Old 02-07-2008, 10:10 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
you can also use krylon fusion satin black. The fusion paint dries fast and doesnt require any prep beside washing although i would still scuff up the chrome for good measure.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:35 PM
benji_mini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ghosthound
you can also use krylon fusion satin black. The fusion paint dries fast and doesnt require any prep beside washing although i would still scuff up the chrome for good measure.
is that what you used? it looks like a flat black almost...

Old 02-08-2008, 03:40 AM
ghosthound
6th Gear
is that what you used? it looks like a flat black almost...
The inside of my lights are satin, the grille and chrome trim is flat. Its actually hard to tell the difference between the flat and satin once you seal up the headlight anyway. If i were to do it again, i would probably just go with flat black.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:11 AM
benji_mini
4th Gear
oh sweet...alright...well ill post some pics up once i get the ball rolling!

are there any peices that need to be masked or taken apart once the actual headlight itself is taken apart?

Old 02-08-2008, 08:04 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Very much liked the Black-out headlight. It gives a "Batman" look the to car. Very cool!

Old 02-08-2008, 09:20 PM
wetceal
3rd Gear
are there any peices that need to be masked or taken apart once the actual headlight itself is taken apart?
Nope! Once you open up the headlights and disassemble everything, there will be two pieces that you'll need to paint (per headlight).

I would definitely recommend scuffing up the pieces but be careful when you do so. The pieces are clear transparent so when you're scuffing them up, make sure you only sand the one side you're going to paint. Otherwise, the light will shine through the plastic unless you paint both sides (I hope that made sense LOL).

Old 02-08-2008, 10:10 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
oh sweet...alright...well ill post some pics up once i get the ball rolling!

sweet!! if you need any help, let us know!!

Old 02-08-2008, 10:26 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Woot!

Old 02-08-2008, 10:58 PM
wetceal
3rd Gear
YEA BABY! That looks GREAT! Good job!!

Old 02-08-2008, 11:13 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks! Best $3 I've ever spent, lol! I'll post better pics tomorrow after I've had a chance to wash her.

Quick Reply: R56 The Infamous Joey Mod!