R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Did You Guys Get Any Discount?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Littlesha
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisW
Why the hell do people keep asking this, your going to pay MSRP get over it.
Why shouldn't people ask this? Car-buying traditionally ALWAYS includes negotiation. I negotiated $500, and also got rubber mats and the very cool bulldog keychain that I asked for

Sharon

Old 02-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Littlesha
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by D-Unit
oh yea!? well I got free mats AND 2 free t-shirts. yea, beat that.
like that one

Old 02-08-2008, 04:41 AM
08R56
2nd Gear
Reilly1 and Littlesha thats the spirit!!! Cant get what we dont ask for! I know most of us order our cars, that should not make a difference either. I ordered my 2006 330 and negotiated to $500 below invoice, not sticker!

Old 02-08-2008, 07:58 AM
bighaeb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by reilly1
It's not always necessary to pay MSRP for a Mini. I talked with several dealerships in my area (fortunately I have several) and simply played one against the other. I ended up at Ottos at the end of the month and bought my car, free floormats included, at around $1000 under MSRP. It CAN be done- you just need to be bold enough to ask.
Exactly. I asked about military discount as well, and it sounds like about 600 bucks at my dealer. And I figure no one will have a problem throwing in some mats and maybe the install of the RPM/Shift light if I order it with that.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:51 AM
powersM3
Neutral
Yup $1,300 - 4.4% off MSRP

After 1.5 years of looking ordered yesterday! '08 MCS. Dark Silver Metallic/Redwood Lounge Leather and a whole bunch of other stuff...sans sunroof/auto trans/navigatioin/etc. MSRP $29,450, negotiated to $28,152 (and free floor mats). Should be in Texas in 6 weeks. I'll be a newbie here for a while - so get your jokes in early while I am a big target.

And as long as we on the subject…anyone 'need' a 2004 M3 Coupe in Imola Red! Have about…..6 weeks to sell it. John

Last edited by powersM3; 02-08-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:55 PM
rikmeister
3rd Gear
nice colour combo. powers. one dealer in texas was offering 1500.00 off on the net

Old 02-09-2008, 07:24 AM
spam.at.trash
3rd Gear
I think you guys have a good deal for your MINI. Mine (2008 MCS) just MSRP + floor mats that's it. But I will be happy once I got my MINI

Old 02-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Quesera
5th Gear
Sounds like a great deal on a nice MINI. Or a nice deal on a great MINI.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:52 PM
powersM3
Neutral
My MCS optioned out

I know there are abbreviations for most of this stuff…but here is:

MCS. Dark Silver Metallic/Redwood Red Lounge Leather/Dark Grey Color Line/Interior Surface Brushed Alloy/Anthracite Headliner….Sport Package, Limited Slip Differential, Xenon Headlights, Rear fog lamps, Automatic air conditioning, Mini HiFi sound system, Anti-theft alarm system, Multi-function Sport Leather steering wheel, Auto-dimming rearview mirror, Center armrest…oh yea, and Floor Mats.

Last edited by powersM3; 02-09-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:39 PM
msmingel
2nd Gear
New York City area, more than $1,000 off MSRP plus free mats on a custom order. I was told I could get others the same deal by the sales manager, but you need to send me a private message with your email address and real name and I will tell you who to contact. Sorry about the secrecy, but the sales manager told me he would get in trouble with MiniUSA if I published who he was.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:56 AM
usafstud
Neutral
Originally Posted by army scope jockey
Join the military get stationed overseas and get 2000 off MSRP. US MSRP for a Cooper S $21,850 Miltary sales $19,850 USD. You may end up in the sandbox but you save 2 grand.

FWIW I am about to pull the trigger on a Cooper S with Cold weather package, Premium pkg, Sport package with LSD, rear fog lights, center arm rest, xenons, white turn signals, anti theft alarm, delivered for $25,325
Scope Jockey, I have finally moved to Aviano after 1.5 year of asking you questions on the Aprillia forum. My bikes will be here in about 5 weeks. Still house hunting and car hunting. I'm kind of think of getting a Cooper myself due to the size of the roads here.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:18 AM
mwittstock
2nd Gear
How to deal...

Question...

For those who were able to get 500+ of MSRP - I have a couple of questions.

1. Was the Mini a special order?
2. Where did you start when you asked for $$$ off the MSRP ie 1500, 1000?
3. Did you have to walk out, if so how many times?
4. Did you have to pay dealer "doc" fee too?

Thanks for your input, I completely suck at negotiating anything and I am totally dreading having to deal with a dealer to puchase my 08 Mini....

Thanks

Old 02-10-2008, 10:29 AM
08R56
2nd Gear
1. yes, special order
2. I never ask for specifics on price just ask for payments and tell them I am shopping them against other dealers and am looking for the best deal
3. I doubt you will have to "walk out" if you have not driven or seen all options yet, go to the dealership and tell them what you want to see/drive. Let them scramble around and think they are selling you on that day but 360 after getting numbers and leave, nicely, cause you may be back.
4. Deal doc fees are a law and not negotiable, take out of price instead if one dealers fee is more than anothers. Info: if dealer lowers the doc fee by law they must refund all customers who have paid more than the lowered fee.
Hope that helps, if not ask away.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Littlesha
2nd Gear
[QUOTE=mwittstock;2031041]Question...

No, but it was the only Oxygen Blue one on the lot of about 80 MINIs.

They told me that if I expect to get $500 or more off the MSRP, that's not going to happen. So they offered $200 off, and I said no, I want $500.

No, I was the last person at the dealership....they closed for the night after I left.

Sharon

Last edited by Littlesha; 02-10-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Babul03
2nd Gear
To tell you the truth mwittstock, my negotiating experience was completely and totally sweet. Service from the dealer since has been dismal to say the least, but thats a different story. As far as your questions go:

1. My Mini was bought off the lot.
2. We started by asking for about $800 off MSRP. It really depends what you're trying to accomplish though. My Dad was looking for $500 off, and that's what he got.
3. Never had to walk out, but that's probably because my Dad bought his BMW from there like 2 years ago.
4. Actually, I don't remember. Sorry, I was just really psyched that I was getting a MINI

All in all, we got a solid deal. We got $500 knocked off MSRP, free mats, and a free clear-bra protection coating thing, which was supposed to be like $400. Hope that helps...

Shaan

Old 02-10-2008, 12:57 PM
army scope jockey
1st Gear
Originally Posted by usafstud
Scope Jockey, I have finally moved to Aviano after 1.5 year of asking you questions on the Aprillia forum. My bikes will be here in about 5 weeks. Still house hunting and car hunting. I'm kind of think of getting a Cooper myself due to the size of the roads here.
Glad to see you made it across the pond. You have the best motorcycle roads in the world at your backdoor (Dolemites). I just placed an order for a BRG Cooper S for my wife. I would use the guys at Pentagon Car Sales. I am sure they have a dealer in Italy. I only wished Pentagon would sell Audis. Last year I went through the other military sales people and pulled the trigger on an RS4. I thought I may ended up back in Texas but I am now a DA civilian working at LRMC. You know the drill, sames job at 3 xs the AD pay. Plus Uncle Sam is buying me a house. It's a good thing, as I would be in jail within 24 hrs if I drove the RS4 in the good ole USA.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:19 PM
usafstud
Neutral
Originally Posted by army scope jockey
Glad to see you made it across the pond. You have the best motorcycle roads in the world at your backdoor (Dolemites). I just placed an order for a BRG Cooper S for my wife. I would use the guys at Pentagon Car Sales. I am sure they have a dealer in Italy. I only wished Pentagon would sell Audis. Last year I went through the other military sales people and pulled the trigger on an RS4. I thought I may ended up back in Texas but I am now a DA civilian working at LRMC. You know the drill, sames job at 3 xs the AD pay. Plus Uncle Sam is buying me a house. It's a good thing, as I would be in jail within 24 hrs if I drove the RS4 in the good ole USA.
i couldn't figure out how to send PM on this board. THey have the Auto Exchange for Audi's here.

do you have an AOL AIM account. if so, PM me with it. GOt a few Q's about things.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:20 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by powersM3
After 1.5 years of looking ordered yesterday! '08 MCS. Dark Silver Metallic/Redwood Lounge Leather and a whole bunch of other stuff...sans sunroof/auto trans/navigatioin/etc. MSRP $29,450, negotiated to $28,152 (and free floor mats). Should be in Texas in 6 weeks. I'll be a newbie here for a while - so get your jokes in early while I am a big target.

And as long as we on the subject…anyone 'need' a 2004 M3 Coupe in Imola Red! Have about…..6 weeks to sell it. John
wow.. which dealership was that from?

and.. you wanna come with me next time I go car shopping?

Old 02-10-2008, 06:46 PM
joshknot
3rd Gear
Well, I'm not able to rush up in here and tell you all about my screaming deal, but I just put my order in yesterday, and I'm very pleased with the deal I wound up with.

No need to list all the options- got the exact car I wanted, $250 off MSRP, free splash guards, rubber/carpet mats, sport exhaust tips, and the usual lot of keychain/apparel/goodies.

Can't wait- car should be here towards the end of March!

Old 02-11-2008, 04:41 AM
msmingel
2nd Gear
I sent an email to all 3 dealers on Long Island telling them exactly what my configuration was and that I was going to buy from the one who gave me the best price. I told them I was not going to negotiate, and the one with the best price would get my business. Dealer #1, which was the farthest away, offered more than $1,000 off MSRP. Dealer #2, which was the closest to my house beat that offer. Dealer #3, which was the one I wanted to deal with (the MA's seemed the most knowledgable) was much worse than Dealer #1.
I then walked into Dealer #2 and signed the papers. It was the best deal I have seen on NAM, and it was a special order, not off the lot. There is not doubt that having 3 dealerships on Long Island and another in Manhattan makes it easier to get a better price.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:22 AM
COOP310
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mwittstock
Question...

Yes.

I asked if MINI was bargianing on cars now, or if it was still MSRP. I was told that they are bargianing a little now, depending on what I wanted. I gave the dealer my spec sheet and asked for their best deal.

No. All done over the phone.

Yes, but the dealer (doc) fee included the "free" floormats and a number of other "free" items that I had planned on purchasing anyway (rubber boot mat, sun visor, glove box organizer, lights, etc.) All in all, I broke even on the dealer fee.

Thanks for your input, I completely suck at negotiating anything and I am totally dreading having to deal with a dealer to puchase my 08 Mini....

Thanks
I hope that you find that the MINI dealer experience is quite a bit different than your average car dealer. You should expect to be treated professionally when making such a large purchase.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:48 AM
powersM3
Neutral
MotorMouth - sure I'll help you......

.........on your next car purchase (unless it is for a 2004 M3 - then the goves come off!!!!)

I ordered the MCS at the dealer in north Houston...and hope you are sitting down for this.....the other Mini dealer offered the EXACT car for another $175 less…invoice plus 1,300 on a 2008 factory order. I went with the guys in north Houston as over the past year+ I was up there and test drove a car or two, stopped in a number of other times, drank their coffee, used their Air Conditioning (Ha!), etc. Also, they are closer to where I live and will get the car serviced there.

I'm in a 2004 M3 that I own outright, still under warranty and probably just the best handling car in the world, sans…..I can't think of any. So, I did not go into the Mini showroom with the "I MUST HAVE THIS CAR" mentality (or look). Nor did I when I recently went into the Audi, Acura, Infinity or BMW dealerships - was not really sure what I wanted…recognizing I "need" none of them. I looked at what the MSRP was, looked at what the online guys tell you the "Invoice" is and figured….all they need to do is punch a few keys on the computer to earn my business. I personally found it difficult to believe that is worth $1,500 but what the hey… I went in with a number and a plan.

At the first dealership, showed them the car I built, and TOLD them (very politely) I am willing to pay you "this" (invoice +1,500) today for said car. Sales Manager (in any transaction only negotiate with the person who is the decision maker) said, "MSRP less 500"…..I said thanks but no thanks. Second dealership, same story…said I would order today for the Invoice plus $1,500…..they take at look at the bright 'Imola Red' M3 (with cheezy $0.99 'For Sale' strategically placed in car!!!!) and me reaching for my checkbook……DONE.

And when I informed the first dealership that I went with the second they went from $500 off MSRP to $1475 off (a $175 better deal than the one I took -but at this point…c'mon) off very quickly. Again I said thanks, but no thanks.

Moral of the story……I still have an Imola Red 2004 BMW M3 looking for a home…however the 99 cent 'For Sale' is gone - that was for the Sales Managers benefit only. (just remember - I am classically trained in negotiation and professional selling.)

Old 02-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question...

Thanks
1. Nope - bought it off the lot. On a previous MINI which I ordered was 'only' able to get $300 off.

2. No particular amount. Simply asked them what was the best deal they could give me; reminding them that there are 3 other MINI dealers within an 100 mile radius.

MA said $750 off, I said throw in bonnet stripes w/installation and the usual goodies (mats, nets and a $30 gift certificate to the boutique) and we have a deal.

3. Nope. As said above it was a really hassle-free process. Didn't mention but this was all done via email. Did my deposit over the phone via debit card and never actually went in to the dealer (1.5 hour drive) until delivery day.

4. Yep, but at 55 bucks (IIRC) it was a lot less than many others that I've seen.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:27 PM
ColinMc
4th Gear
If I wanted a cheaper Mini, I would have gotten less options. I'll gladly not haggle and negotiate price if it means that further down the road my car will hold it's value better because of it. I could have gotten a nice MCS for 21800, but I wanted exactly the options I got and paid for them. Paid exact MSRP, no hidden dealer fees, no tacked on crap. Just a nice brand new car exactly the way I wanted it, free heavy duty rubber floor mats, free t-shirt, and a nice big smile on my face whenever I drive. I had a great experience buying my Mini and talking over the options I was getting with the MA, a far cry from the horror stories i've heard from my friends that have bought new cars. So for all of you that saved money, great job, but I was perfectly happy with what I spent and what I got or I wouldn't have bought it! No part of this is sarcasm whatsoever btw.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:46 AM
fazelk
1st Gear
Dealers are trying to hit financial targets just like any other business. I didn't want to order, but was pretty specific on what I wanted so I searched all nearby dealers to Northern Indiana and found none. Closest were Chicago (3), Indy, and Detroit. Nobody had exact car. Found several pretty close, so used timing as my strategy. Called Chicago dealership 10 minutes before closing, two days before the end of their sales quarter and got the sales manager. Told him they could sell one more car before the end of the quarter if they were willing to "talk." Negotiated the price over the phone by indicating I wanted a car, they had a car close to what I wanted, but I wasn't willing to pay for the options I didn't want. If they wanted to sell another car, their only option was to not charge me for the options. Done deal. Took the trains to Chicago and sealed the deal on the last day of the quarter. Ended up $1,200 below MSRP, plus mats, gas, and hat. Also, doc fee was only about $45.

Quick Reply: R56 Did You Guys Get Any Discount?