R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Did You Guys Get Any Discount?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:36 AM
chinq6t
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there, I just e-mailed at least 4 dealerships around my area in New England/NY. For the day, only one has replied and it is at Inskip Mini. I heard of Inskip because my sister leases her G35 Coupe there. Any way, the sales manager said:

Hi Tom,

I can do $24,500 plus $95 doc fee, 6% CT sales tax, and CT reg fee for new plates or transfer, and will include a set of carpet or rubber floor mats front and rear.

I can provide delivery within 4-6 weeks.

Thanks.
I thought I'd get some quotes at like mid-first quarter time frame and when I become serious about doing business in June, I will compare the quotes with this time and the next time when I will be asking for quotes at the near end of the 2nd quarter of their sales.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:53 PM
erf
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chinq6t
Hi there, I just e-mailed at least 4 dealerships around my area in New England/NY. For the day, only one has replied and it is at Inskip Mini. I heard of Inskip because my sister leases her G35 Coupe there. Any way, the sales manager said:

I thought I'd get some quotes at like mid-first quarter time frame and when I become serious about doing business in June, I will compare the quotes with this time and the next time when I will be asking for quotes at the near end of the 2nd quarter of their sales.
I am thinking maybe the "end of quarter" advantage may not be present if you are ordering--my guess would be that since the car is not truly "sold" until you take it off the lot, it wouldn't matter unless you bought off the lot. But hey, what do I know?

Old 02-26-2008, 06:00 PM
chinq6t
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by fazelk
Dealers are trying to hit financial targets just like any other business. I didn't want to order, but was pretty specific on what I wanted so I searched all nearby dealers to Northern Indiana and found none. Closest were Chicago (3), Indy, and Detroit. Nobody had exact car. Found several pretty close, so used timing as my strategy. Called Chicago dealership 10 minutes before closing, two days before the end of their sales quarter and got the sales manager. Told him they could sell one more car before the end of the quarter if they were willing to "talk." Negotiated the price over the phone by indicating I wanted a car, they had a car close to what I wanted, but I wasn't willing to pay for the options I didn't want. If they wanted to sell another car, their only option was to not charge me for the options. Done deal. Took the trains to Chicago and sealed the deal on the last day of the quarter. Ended up $1,200 below MSRP, plus mats, gas, and hat. Also, doc fee was only about $45.
Seems like it worked for him..

Old 02-28-2008, 07:15 PM
fazelk
1st Gear
I didn't order. I cut my deal based on the promise that I'd be closing the deal before the end of the quarter.

I realize things are differently competetive in different parts of the country, but I still think it's a great time to make a deal. We're hearing nonstop recession talk and massive US auotmotive employee buyouts on top of several plant closings. Even though MINI isn't a US car, it's certainly not a seller's market right now. Try picking the price you're willing to pay... but you better be willing to close on it if they accept your offer.

Keep in mind that car salesmen spend a tremendous number of hours talking to people who are simply window shopping and not willing to purchase. Walk in (or call) with the convincing attitude that you're going to make a purchase provided they meet your deal. They'll be so relieved that you're a willing BUYER (in a slow market) that they'll make sure you don't leave. Be confident that you know what you want.

Good luck!

Old 02-29-2008, 03:36 AM
Halifax
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chinq6t

Contact Mark Smith at MINI of Fairfield County, when you are ready to order. We got a great deal and outstanding service throughout the whole process.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:12 AM
army scope jockey
1st Gear
Your automobile is configured as follows:

Make: MINI
Model: Mini Cooper S
Exterior Color: British Racing Green
Interior Color: Gray/w black int. Leatherette
Trans: 6-speed
Options Include:
327 White Bonnet Stripes
382 Roof and Mirror Caps White
2TA Limited Slip Differential
302 Alarm System
473 front arm rest
522 Xenon Headlights (incl Powerwash)
5AA Rear Fog Lamps (Phase in 12/03)
785 White Turn Indicators
927 All Season Tires
ZCW Cold Weather Package
ZPP Premium Package
ZSP Sport Package

Est. Delivery Date: April 25, 2008
Total Cost: 26080.00

Knock off another 1% for repeat customer and that brings the OTD price of $25,819.20 with mats thrown in.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:16 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Makes me wish I asked for my floormats instead of paying $100 for them...plus I could have used the boot mat because I would really like one now

Old 02-29-2008, 10:22 PM
enjoiergo
1st Gear
I got a 2005 MCS for $2000 off the sticker price but my parents were the ones who negotiated. It was amazing, haha. It took a good hour and a half to get everything straightened out but I got some random stuff (coffee mug, key chains, reading material, etc.) I never knew such quiet individuals could do such a good job at negotiating!!! You just have to remain BOLD and show them who's BOSS!!!

Last edited by enjoiergo; 02-29-2008 at 10:22 PM. Reason: wrong infoooooooo
Old 03-02-2008, 09:24 PM
bdr127
2nd Gear
I think it's so funny how people get so excited about a "deal" because they got $X off MSRP....

Say, for example, the car is $25,000 and you got $500 off. What if that exact same car had an MSRP of $24,500 and you paid MSRP, with dealer invoice being exactly the same (so they also have $500 less profit)? Would you still feel like you got the same "deal"? You paid the same amount... the dealer made the same amount.... Or is it just the fact that you saw some subtraction calculated on a sheet of paper?

On the flip side, what if that same $25,000 car had an MSRP of $30,000, but they gave you a $3000 discount.... Did you get a better "deal" just because you got $3000 off?

My point is that the price you pay is directly tied to the value you find in the car (or any other product you buy, for that matter). It isn't the amount the dealer subtracted from the MSRP, and it's not the amount the dealer made on the sale.... It's simply how much you are willing to pay for a particular item based on the perceived value.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Old 03-02-2008, 09:54 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bdr127
I think it's so funny how people get so excited about a "deal" because they got $X off MSRP....

Say, for example, the car is $25,000 and you got $500 off. What if that exact same car had an MSRP of $24,500 and you paid MSRP, with dealer invoice being exactly the same (so they also have $500 less profit)? Would you still feel like you got the same "deal"? You paid the same amount... the dealer made the same amount.... Or is it just the fact that you saw some subtraction calculated on a sheet of paper?

On the flip side, what if that same $25,000 car had an MSRP of $30,000, but they gave you a $3000 discount.... Did you get a better "deal" just because you got $3000 off?

My point is that the price you pay is directly tied to the value you find in the car (or any other product you buy, for that matter). It isn't the amount the dealer subtracted from the MSRP, and it's not the amount the dealer made on the sale.... It's simply how much you are willing to pay for a particular item based on the perceived value.
Does that make sense to anyone?
not only does it make sense but it is 100% true. Ask any sales expert. It's the value you see in a product that determines it's dollar value to you. ( or the value the salesperson has you believe in)

Old 03-03-2008, 10:15 AM
joecooper1
1st Gear
bdr127,

You are correct that the arbitrary value of a discount is pretty silly to get excited about. Look at all the 70% off discounts on jewelry that you see in the malls. I think most people know that it is marked up so high, that the 70% off is a marketing gimmick.

I do think there is great value in this thread, however, and having users share the amount they paid for their MINI. The idea is not to brag, or get excited about a certain X off of MSRP, but to provide information (and therefore the power) for purchasers to get the best deal possible. Why pay MSRP if you could get the same vehicle for $1,000 off - that would seem silly to me...

Old 04-13-2008, 08:28 AM
5winwin
Neutral
I am currently in dallas texas and i would love it if someone can help my by telling me which dealer in the area is willing to give discounts, and how much from your experience?

Last edited by 5winwin; 04-13-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Quesera
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 5winwin
I am currently in dallas texas and i would love it if someone can help my by telling me which dealer in the area is willing to give discounts, and how much from your experience?
Talk to Philip at Moritz.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:07 AM
5winwin
Neutral
i already went to moritz and talked to neil and tried to negotiate but he was only willing to knock of 1,000 of a demo MCS with 2400 miles, i wasnt gonna go for that? What kind of deal did you get?

Old 04-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I think your best bet would be to email the other dealers in the "Area" and see what they can do, then pin them against each other.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:28 AM
blah5
1st Gear
HELP!

First off, this is my first post, I am glad to be a part of NAM. Secondly, I am located in Los Angeles, California. I’ve heard from different dealerships that the MCS is a popular car and is in high demand… which in turn means they are all asking for a “price adjustment/price over mark.”
To the people who did internet negotiating...

I sent all my local, and semi-local dealers an email telling the internet sales rep exactly what I want, and I told them I already am aware that I will need to do a custom order and wait X amount of weeks. I also informed them that I have also asked all my southern California dealers the same question, and I would purchase from the dealership that had given me the best deal. Well I received a reply back from a 2 or 3 dealers and none of them tried to offer me a deal. As most of you know, in so cal every dealership is asking for an over mark, which I do not want to pay.... My question to everyone is what can I tell them to get them to "fight" for my business. I do not want to pay over mark, I would really love to get below MSRP, be it $500 at least. I really feel like I am at a disadvantage bc the MCS is in "high demand..." I've read through this entire post, also the web site link which was posted #3 or #4.

I wouldn’t even mind trying to do an in-person deal, though I do not want to get ripped-a-new-one by the Mini Sales people, I would really like to get the best deal possible. What do I need to tell them, say to them, and show them to get me a great/good deal?

Old 07-22-2008, 07:35 AM
cosmosmpower
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by blah5
First off, this is my first post, I am glad to be a part of NAM. Secondly, I am located in Los Angeles, California. I’ve heard from different dealerships that the MCS is a popular car and is in high demand… which in turn means they are all asking for a “price adjustment/price over mark.”
To the people who did internet negotiating...

I sent all my local, and semi-local dealers an email telling the internet sales rep exactly what I want, and I told them I already am aware that I will need to do a custom order and wait X amount of weeks. I also informed them that I have also asked all my southern California dealers the same question, and I would purchase from the dealership that had given me the best deal. Well I received a reply back from a 2 or 3 dealers and none of them tried to offer me a deal. As most of you know, in so cal every dealership is asking for an over mark, which I do not want to pay.... My question to everyone is what can I tell them to get them to "fight" for my business. I do not want to pay over mark, I would really love to get below MSRP, be it $500 at least. I really feel like I am at a disadvantage bc the MCS is in "high demand..." I've read through this entire post, also the web site link which was posted #3 or #4.

I wouldn’t even mind trying to do an in-person deal, though I do not want to get ripped-a-new-one by the Mini Sales people, I would really like to get the best deal possible. What do I need to tell them, say to them, and show them to get me a great/good deal?
What about looking a few hours outside of socal like Las Vegas or Reno where the economy might be a bit slower and the car in less demand. Then they can ship it back or you can buy a 1 way ticket and fly out to drive it back Could save you some $$$.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:14 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
jesus old car buying habits dont die off do they? why are people so jeeped about getting $$ bucks off a new MINI? Is there some kind of weird cult now?? Can I join if I got $250 off msrp for my ordered 2009??

Oh and for those who claim they got $1,000 or more off for an new *ordered* MINI, not a demo or lot stock I simply do not believe them, not with the current supply/demand crunch and rising oil prices. No dealer'd be that stupid.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:16 AM
wj94
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
jesus old car buying habits dont die off do they? why are people so jeeped about getting $$ bucks off a new MINI? Is there some kind of weird cult now?? Can I join if I got $250 off msrp for my ordered 2009??

Oh and for those who claim they got $1,000 or more off for an new *ordered* MINI, not a demo or lot stock I simply do not believe them, not with the current supply/demand crunch and rising oil prices. No dealer'd be that stupid.
I did on a new JCW. Pretty crazy huh?

Old 07-22-2008, 08:23 AM
maximus96
3rd Gear
anybody purchased a MCS recently in the Bay Area, CA? there are a few dealers around and i've only got email replies from SF Mini, they want $2500 on top of MSRP for all special orders. they told me they *might* be able to know a bit off for the cars on the lot. i haven't heard back from Concord and Pleasanton Mini. can anybody tell me which of these local bay area dealers give the best deal? at this point i'd be happy with MSRP.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:23 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blah5
I would really love to get below MSRP, be it $500 at least.
"At least??" then U better find a low mileage never titled demo my friend. The demand for MINIs has never been stronger, and will continue like this as long as oil stays high or climbs even more. Unlike other cars, paying msrp for a MINI is no "Hank Hill" badge of stupidity nor dishonor, considering that when you drive off the lot there will be no depreciation hit, like with every other car sold in America, even Lexus.

Case in point: based on what I paid, and the very high trade in offer that I accepted ('cause my dealer was desperate for used cars), my 2005 MCS depreciated an average of 7%/year the 4 years I had it. that, campers, is stellar resale value, and the reason why paying msrp is no HUGE deal.

Now markups? that's a different story. I hate those

Old 07-22-2008, 08:25 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by maximus96
anybody purchased a MCS recently in the Bay Area, CA? there are a few dealers around and i've only got email replies from SF Mini, they want $2500 on top of MSRP for all special orders. they told me they *might* be able to know a bit off for the cars on the lot. i haven't heard back from Concord and Pleasanton Mini. can anybody tell me which of these local bay area dealers give the best deal? at this point i'd be happy with MSRP.
Last I heard East Bay was selling at msrp. but then the waits are longer. same with Niello in Sac, but they put on mandatory accessory paks. why dont U try Scottsdale, SLC, Denver, or Albuquerque? They are all msrp dealers. And I will be in Vegas this week so I'll stop by Desert to check pricing and wait times. When I was there in 04 the markups were $2k for a MC and $4k for an S.

Last edited by sequence; 07-22-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:28 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wj94
I did on a new JCW. Pretty crazy huh?
The more expensive a MINI is, the better chance of getting some kind of discount. A dime off on a $35-40K JCW is not that unusual.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:32 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cosmosmpower
What about looking a few hours outside of socal like Las Vegas or Reno where the economy might be a bit slower and the car in less demand. Then they can ship it back or you can buy a 1 way ticket and fly out to drive it back Could save you some $$$.
The closest MINI dealership to Reno is Niello in Sacramento.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:33 AM
wj94
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
The more expensive a MINI is, the better chance of getting some kind of discount. A dime off on a $35-40K JCW is not that unusual.
It was right at $30k, same price as a loaded up MCS. Do you see other people getting $1k off JCW's (with NO markups on financing and NO processing/dealer fee)? From what I hear, California dealers are marking them up $3-6k. All it takes is a little negotiating and getting the idea of "oh, well everyone pays MSRP, so I guess I'll just pay that too" out of your head. I literally spent maybe 45 minutes emailing the sales manager of every dealer within driving distance and then following up on one or two over the phone from those who gave a positive response. California might be different, but for the rest of us, it's not that tough.

Quick Reply: R56 Did You Guys Get Any Discount?