R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Does Anyone Else Dislike Using the TURN SIGNALS on their '08 as much as I do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:24 AM
-Vampyre-
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love it, and my girlie has a benz that does the same. I never have to adjust back to "normal" cars

Old 02-08-2008, 07:29 AM
sailorliz23
3rd Gear
its really not that bad. i set it to blink three times when im changing lanes and turn it on only when i have to turn. i also think this is great because i dont have to hold it in position just to switch lanes (like i did in my 06 corolla) and i also dont have to fully turn it on to switch lanes. i dont push it in the same direction to turn it off though and i think i have only once pushed it too far that it turns on the other signal. i guess it just takes time to get used to.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:31 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Benibiker
I love it and now think "normal" cars are strange...
There ya go!!! Once I got used to my '07 all others feel clunky, including my '03 Cooper!!

Old 02-08-2008, 07:34 AM
giantjoe
2nd Gear
I was filled with rage over the signals for my test drive, I mentioned it to my MA (or is it SA???) and he told me how to actually use them correctly, then I took a 24 hour test drive and fell in love. The signals are very good, you just have to know what's up with them.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:57 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
Originally Posted by giantjoe
I was filled with rage over the signals for my test drive, I mentioned it to my MA (or is it SA???) and he told me how to actually use them correctly, then I took a 24 hour test drive and fell in love. The signals are very good, you just have to know what's up with them.
24 hour test drive? Now THAT'S a long drive

Old 02-08-2008, 10:10 AM
feej92
1st Gear
Originally Posted by COOP310
It takes some getting used to, but after a while its second nature.
I've gotten used to it but it seems the whole turnsignal stalk thing is overengineered enough to become counterintuitive.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:17 AM
JVAMINI
1st Gear
they take some getting used to but i totally agree they are hella anoying!

Old 02-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RedSkunk
How is it intuitive to push the signal in the same direction to cancel it??
Originally Posted by Littlesha
Hitting the stalk in the same direction to shut it off as you did to turn it on is what's annoying to me, as it's just not logical to me (or something I've ever done to use signals before). I"m also used to a less temperamental stalk that will go on as soon as you hit it....which this one sometimes does not. But I am going to switch it to the three-flash mode and see how I like that. Thanks for responding....every little bit of info and opinion helps

Sharon
If you prefer, push it in the opposite direction to cancel. Just don't push it past the detent.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:31 AM
giantjoe
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tjtull
24 hour test drive? Now THAT'S a long drive
Pretty sly trick huh? After driving it that night and the next day, I was already referring to it as my MINI.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:42 AM
ipeverywhere
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe this will make sense to someone as it helps me remember...

Think of everything in the R56 as a toggle switch. Specifically think of the turn-signal stalk as two toggle switches. Down toggles left and Up toggles right. When you set 3-flashes and tap the toggle (like your auto-down window toggle) it auto-blinks 3 times. When you push harder and past the indent then it stays on until you toggle it off.

I actually wish I could have it blink more then 3-blinks as I have a tendency to turn the blinker on before looking in all my mirrors and blind spot and by the time I actually go to turn the wheel the 3-blinks are done and I have to tap it again.

So I give the turn signal a big and I also give the R56 a thumbs up for putting independent left and right hand arrow lights on the tach. The single "you have one of your blinkers on" light of the old model drove me nuts.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Rastven
4th Gear
How is it intuitive to push the signal in the same direction to cancel it??

The R56 turn signal stalk is bat sh%# crazy. It's over-engineered. Turn signals have always flashed before the detent, and with "normal" signals you control the number of flashes as the situation warrants, without having to program yet another computer setting.
Obviously someone has never driven a modern Audi or indeed any number of other European makes as this is a fairly common "feature" now. Programming is easy on the MINI, you can do it yourself via the OBC and set it at 0, 1, 3, and 5 flashes.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by ipeverywhere
I also give the R56 a thumbs up for putting independent left and right hand arrow lights on the tach. The single "you have one of your blinkers on" light of the old model drove me nuts.
Actually, with the 1st Gen MINIs, that limitation varied depending on the options. If you had the Chrono Pack or the OEM Nav system (both of which moved the speedo to above the steering wheel), it gave you independent left and right turn signal lights.

I hate the "all one light" too, so I was very happy that mine didn't come that way (since I have the OEM Nav).

Old 02-08-2008, 03:09 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I dislike the tactile aspect of the turn signals. They took the perfect feel and function of my previous BMWs, and designed in a ridiculous system. I've had the car a year and I still don't like them.

The 3 flash is no big deal. I'm pretty sure at least one of our previous BMWs had it--and without the tiny detent. Also, cancelling by pushing the same way doesn't make sense.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Littlesha
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kevinminict
Sharon,
Yeah they do take a day or two to get used to. I think they are perfectly fine. Push all the way down or up to fully engage the signal and when I'm on the highway and change lanes frequesntly I give it a tap and it blinks three times. Its great feature and I havent had any problems yet.
Thanks...I am going to program it to blink three times, and be more patient. As someone else said as well, it really is the only thing I find annoying about the car

Thanks again!
Sharon

Old 02-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Littlesha
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by giantjoe
I was filled with rage over the signals for my test drive, I mentioned it to my MA (or is it SA???) and he told me how to actually use them correctly....
Can you please share what he told you?

Old 02-08-2008, 06:06 PM
narkose
2nd Gear
I took a few MCS' out for test drives and found that after a few confusing moments I had it down. I think you just have to concentrate on the difference in feel between the detent and just before and you will get used to the fact that with the detent they stay on - a gentle tap in the opposing direction turns them off. I really like the 3 flash option for lane changes.

just my $0.02

Old 02-08-2008, 06:19 PM
giantjoe
2nd Gear
He just told me that when you flick it in the appropriate direction you get three flashes, if you press it in the appropriate direction they will stay on continuously (until the self canceler kicks in). Pretty easy. When you manually cancel just flick it in the opposite direction.

The most important thing is the difference between flick and press. Sit in your car for 3 minutes with this specific mission. You'll get it, and it will become second nature.

Also, who cares if the cancel in the same direction is weird... just don't use it if it is uncomfortable.
Here is a link to the owners manual. Look on page 39 to get a detailed look at it. Spend a little time with it, you'll be converted.

Last edited by giantjoe; 02-08-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:35 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Took me about five minutes on a test drive to get the hang of the signals. Sure beat my current car (My MINI is on the ocean) that wipes the windshield when I signal a lane change.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:30 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
I had the new style turn signals figured out after the second intersection on my test drive. I find them really natural to operate, every other car's just clunky.
I can flick the turn signal with my left pinky & activate the intermittent wiper with my right (button on end of stalk)

Old 02-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The R56 turn signal stalk is bat sh%# crazy. It's over-engineered. Turn signals have always flashed before the detent, and with "normal" signals you control the number of flashes as the situation warrants, without having to program yet another computer setting.
I agree. Why suddenly decide that an interface standard that has lasted dozens of years and millions of cars, is suddenly obsolete? Change for the sake of change is counter-productive.

--Dan
Mach V

Old 02-08-2008, 10:49 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Ahhh, but change for the sake of me is another story.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:38 AM
nrc
2nd Gear
My only complaint about the signals is that the detant before going to continuous on mode isn't obvious enough. Too often I get the wrong mode because I can't tell if I've hit the detant. I'll learn it, but it should be more obvious.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Rastven
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mach V Dan
I agree. Why suddenly decide that an interface standard that has lasted dozens of years and millions of cars, is suddenly obsolete? Change for the sake of change is counter-productive.

--Dan
Mach V
So what, being able to flick the stalk to get 3 flashes, like on every decent European car, is over engineering and a bad idea?

Old 02-09-2008, 11:26 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
No, but as I said in my post, I think that's been there on other cars before.

I think the real difference is that it's gone from a "mechanical" stalk to a purely "fly-by-wire" stalk. I suppose it's better, but it seems like just one more thing that can fail.

It does seem that people either love it or hate it--nothing in between. Count me in the "hate it" group.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:36 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes. Simpler is always the more elegant solution.

Originally Posted by Rastven
So what, being able to flick the stalk to get 3 flashes, like on every decent European car, is over engineering and a bad idea?

Quick Reply: R56 Does Anyone Else Dislike Using the TURN SIGNALS on their '08 as much as I do?