R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Does Anyone Else Dislike Using the TURN SIGNALS on their '08 as much as I do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 12:38 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Remember the earliest fly-by-wire planes? They had some...interesting...failures. Certainly a bit more exciting than we would potentially see in our cars!

Old 02-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Rastven
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having a turn stalk that does what I want it to do beats a mechanical switch any day of the week and twice on sundays.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:49 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
It does seem that people either love it or hate it--nothing in between. Count me in the "hate it" group.
I'm in neither group. I don't really love it or hate it. I must not be a person...

Old 02-09-2008, 08:25 PM
mataku
5th Gear
hm.. all this talk of the turn signal might be coming from those without the 3 flash flick. That makes everything pretty useful and I rarely have to cancel my signals with that available option.

With that said, how come there isn't a commotion over the wiper stalk? I've had the car for 5 months and still have trouble switching between speeds.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:42 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mataku
hm.. all this talk of the turn signal might be coming from those without the 3 flash flick. That makes everything pretty useful and I rarely have to cancel my signals with that available option.

With that said, how come there isn't a commotion over the wiper stalk? I've had the car for 5 months and still have trouble switching between speeds.
Nope--I programmed the 3-flash right away. I still hate the signals.

Do you have auto wipers? If you do, have the button on the end of the stalk (not all do), AND have your car reprogrammed for something, you'll find it works with the stalk button. Much easier.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
I suspect the owners who hate the turn signals are the grandchildren of the drivers who complained when they placed the starter button inside the car rather than having to use the outside crank.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:21 AM
going4speed
4th Gear
+1

I would love to know what lives people lead if this turn signal baffles.

Half click down three flashes. Full click down turns on. Push half way down to cancel.

If this is hard I need your job.

Not very 'NAM' like but damn people.

Originally Posted by sliboa
I'm almost completely baffled as to how people are having a problem with these turn signal stalks. And this is coming from someone who owns an R50 and has only driven the R56 a couple times during test drives. I feel that it's quite an intuitive design and it only took me a few minutes in the car to become completely comfortable with them. One light push in either direction flashes the signal once or three times depending on the setting and then a slightly stronger push past the detent and the signal is fully "on." It only took a couple seconds of trial-and-error before I realized that pushing the same direction on the stalk would cancel the turn signal flash. Brilliant, that.

This week, I had a 328 loaner while my car was in for service and I almost wanted to keep the car, if only for the turn signals. In fact, I like them so much, it almost made up for the fact that the BMW had an automatic. Almost...

Old 02-10-2008, 07:32 AM
sailorliz23
3rd Gear
i totally agree with you going4speed. i think its kind of silly that everyone is complaining about turn signals. why is it that people will always find something wrong with a new car they get? if its really that annoying and they cant get used to it, maybe they should have gotten another car. i mean be glad that you are on here posting that you cant stand your turn signals rather than having to say that you had to take your car to the dealer at 15k miles because the computer went bad( happened with my 06 toyota) and then having to take it back because your ac died at 35k miles.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:34 AM
Littlesha
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by going4speed
+1

Wow....rude comments like that are really encouraging to newbies like me, aren't they? Amazing how someone would think that an opinion on turn signals has to do with how they "live their lives." Whew!

Old 02-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Some people jump on the forums straight away when they have a question, and others try to figure it out by themselves. Two different personality types. Don't take the comments personally; they're just the other personalty type, that's all.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:32 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by going4speed
+1

Half click down three flashes. Full click down turns on. Push half way down to cancel.

If this is hard I need your job.

Not very 'NAM' like but damn people.
Doesn't baffle me in the least. But I don't have to LIKE it--the feel of it is entirely unnecessary. Why fool with a good thing when it's not required? I'm sure if BMW thought about it, they'd find a way to make the detent a little more noticeable, and more "midline," just like they've done in my 4 previous BMWs, or in any of the other 20 or so cars I've owned over the years. The 3 or 1 flash option could still be there. I mention BMW in particular not only because of its influence on the MINI, but also because I've been told the new models "feel" like this, too. (Haven't had the opportunity to test drive one.)

And since when do I have to like EVERYTHING about my car--MINI or not? It's not a defining factor in my character or personality. Don't you dislike something about your car?

Old 02-10-2008, 12:02 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
think of it as a reliability feature, to have the turn signal stay down or up like older cars, they'd have had to include a mechanical switch and cancelation ring. The way the new systems work, you've got a basic 4 position electronic switch and the control module can cancel it based on input from your steering angle sensor (that it's already recieving).

btw, I'd never figured out that you could tap the turn signal in the same direction to cancel, tried it out yesterday for the first time no more accidental blinkers on in the other direction, now I really have nothing to gripe about.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:17 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Reliability? If your SZL goes out, your signals won't cancel!

I've been using the same-direction-push-to-cancel for some time--definitely easier.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:37 PM
giantjoe
2nd Gear
Solid state electronics are simpler than mechanical devices. I think this system is simpler than the old mechanical style. My 68 VW is very simple but when I had to try to figure out why my signals weren't working, I had to look at a number of mechanical gadgets to ascertain the problem before I could actually get them to self cancel again...

Old 02-10-2008, 01:46 PM
mslkmini
2nd Gear
I hate the turn signal ('07 MCS) After 1000 miles, I disabled the 3x halfway turn to a 1x and couldn't be happier. I like being in control of the duration of the signal. The half-way tap always tripped me up.

Point being: this car continues to amaze me the degree to which you can simply change something. I appreciate their innovativeness.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:53 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what I did, although in my case I just decided to hang on to my R53 and not buy something else. The turn signal was just one of several annoying changes which I didn't feel like putting up with. Another one was the superfluous engine start/stop switch and the huge key fob which came with it. Just too much BMW-fication for me...

Originally Posted by sailorliz23
if its really that annoying and they cant get used to it, maybe they should have gotten another car

Old 02-10-2008, 03:59 PM
mslkmini
2nd Gear
This would be a silly reason not to buy this car. Any MA worth his/her salt should be able to disable the function through the onboard computer.

Also, while the key fob on/off button is a little silly, I couldn't fathom it deterring someone from purchasing an otherwise extraordinary car.

That's just me.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:09 PM
RedSkunk
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rastven
Obviously someone has never driven a modern Audi or indeed any number of other European makes as this is a fairly common "feature" now. Programming is easy on the MINI, you can do it yourself via the OBC and set it at 0, 1, 3, and 5 flashes.
I don't like to spend my time programming turn signals, sorry! You can keep your neat "features."

Old 02-10-2008, 04:14 PM
going4speed
4th Gear
Believe me I'm holding back. The comment was not rude.....Kindler gentler nation crap drives me to drink!

Originally Posted by Littlesha
Wow....rude comments like that are really encouraging to newbies like me, aren't they? Amazing how someone would think that an opinion on turn signals has to do with how they "live their lives." Whew!

Old 02-10-2008, 04:16 PM
going4speed
4th Gear

Filled with rage? Over turn signals......

Originally Posted by giantjoe
I was filled with rage over the signals for my test drive, I mentioned it to my MA (or is it SA???) and he told me how to actually use them correctly, then I took a 24 hour test drive and fell in love. The signals are very good, you just have to know what's up with them.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:20 PM
adamacopp
1st Gear
turn signals....

okay i consider myself a very basic simple minded person.....but when it came to learning these new-style turnsignals....it was just a very 2nd nature...my other car is a 2001 wrangler, so i was coming from another vehicle that had power NOTHING!!!...i made the switch over no problem at all...and that was using the mini only once in a while....switching back and forth between the jeep and the mini...

then once i found the triple turn indicator...it was that much easier....

the biggest problem i had going back and forth.....the power windows vs. the non power windows in the jeep......

adam

Old 02-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Plaz
3rd Gear
If you hold the stalk before the detent for longer than the three-blink period, does it keep blinking, or does it just blink three times, necessitating another "off-on" to keep it blinking?

Old 02-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Plaz
If you hold the stalk before the detent for longer than the three-blink period, does it keep blinking, or does it just blink three times, necessitating another "off-on" to keep it blinking?
It works like a normal stalk in that respect. If you hold the stalk on as you make a lane change, as soon as you release it stops blinking.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:54 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RedSkunk
I don't like to spend my time programming turn signals, sorry! You can keep your neat "features."
FWIW, this is something the owner can do, takes about 15 seconds per item programmed...

Old 02-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Mach V Dan
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sliboa
I'm almost completely baffled as to how people are having a problem with these turn signal stalks.
If this were user interface testing, and a significant percentage of the test subjects were confused or annoyed about the interface...wouldn't you at least consider what it is about the design that's confusing or annoying the user?

--Dan
Mach V

Quick Reply: R56 Does Anyone Else Dislike Using the TURN SIGNALS on their '08 as much as I do?